because dp just looked at me like I'd grown another head...

(76 Posts)
Whereisegg Tue 07-May-13 17:39:00

This is really trivial but just wondered if I am alone in my thinking....

It is about to pour down here so I have just got my washing in.
Next door also have washing out, but nobody is home.
As we are missing a fence panel between our gardens til Friday, I mentioned I was considering getting theirs in for them.

They are fairly new neighbours, we don't really 'talk' but I thought this would be a nice thing to do, but dp thinks I'm crazy and should leave it.

Would it be such a terrible thing to do?!

fluffiphlox Tue 07-May-13 18:03:09

When I was growing up, this was the done thing ( think S.Wales terraced houses). Why anyone would think it was anything other than helpful, I don't know.

Wishiwasanheiress Tue 07-May-13 18:04:06

Think this is def a case of the road to hell being paved with good intentions. Your neighbours will be freaked if u do this!

FortyFacedFuckers Tue 07-May-13 18:05:06

I know they are there now but thought I would answer anyway. I would love it if my neighbour brought mine in for me. grin

Aintnobodygottimeforthat Tue 07-May-13 18:05:09

I wouldn't do it because I'd be very upset if someone I didn't really know that well touched my washing. I have OCD so would have to wash it all again. I obviously wouldn't tell them I was upset though. Id thank them politely and trudge back home to get secretly rewashing. Don't do it unless you've spoken about it before!

BackforGood Tue 07-May-13 18:05:33

It's not weird - it's neighbourly. I was immensely grateful to my neighbour in my first flat who did this for me a few times. Lovely to have nice neighbours.
there are some odd people on MN - I mean, it would be different if you had to scale the fence to do it, but if you have easy access, then why wouldn't you ? confused

BrienneOfTarth Tue 07-May-13 18:05:40

Now would be the perfect opportunity to "just happen to be popping into the garden" yourself when they are taking their laundry down, and you can ask them whether they would want you to take it in if it looks like it's going to rain on a future occasion.

LadyClariceCannockMonty Tue 07-May-13 18:06:06

I think that would be lovely. It wouldn't feel intrusive in this case either because of the missing fence panel; if someone climbed over a wall/fence to take in the washing it might seem a bit odd!

But no, basically OP I think you're Neighbour of the Year smile

DontmindifIdo Tue 07-May-13 18:10:46

first things first, what is on their line, is it shirts, towels etc or is it pants? If it's underwear, is it the grey big pants variety or the skimpy fabulous type? either way, I'd not want to have to acknowledge my neighbours had been handling my panties.

once you've got their washing, what will you do with it? Put it in their house with a note through the door saying "I've got your washing" and make them come over with it? go round later with it? Fold it up and put it somewhere safe and dry in their garden - is there anywhere safe and dry in their garden? Honestly, if you're not careful, it will make you look like a crazy person.

Where I used to live my neighbour would get mine in finish it in the dryer and iron it too!!

Branleuse Tue 07-May-13 18:15:54

i wouldnt like it. It would cross a boundary and id hate them to think i might do theirs

Whereisegg Tue 07-May-13 18:17:31

I now know her name, and that she is getting a puppy on Friday, but she had to go back in to see to her dd before I could ask/freak her out with asking about the washing smile

Machli Tue 07-May-13 18:19:46

I'd think you were really kind but I would worry you were going to turn out to a big old busy body who'd be popping up every time I so much as stuck my nose out of the patio doors.

everlong Tue 07-May-13 18:22:28

In my old cottage we had a shared back garden and we used to always bring each others washing in. Worked out for us all.

Can't do it now.

likeitorlumpit Tue 07-May-13 18:23:58

id be very annoyed if someone was manhandling my underwear , its a bit personal tbh

Whereisegg Tue 07-May-13 18:24:39

Well the fence is 7ft high so the gardens are really private usually, I would have to go upstairs to be able to spy effectively ;)

Whereisegg Tue 07-May-13 18:26:44

Well I'm pleased they came home, it seems pretty split as to bu or not and I wouldn't want to freak her/them out.

Let's hope the new fence stays up!

Bowlersarm Tue 07-May-13 18:27:08

No don't do it. However, have a conversation with your neighbour about whether, should it happen again, she would like you to take her washing in, in the future.

Crikeyblimey Tue 07-May-13 18:29:26

My lovely neighbour works term time only so if I've pegged washing out during the summer when she is at home and it rains, she brings mine in. She sends me a text to say she's done it. She will also finish it in her dryer if necessary. I love her for it and bake her cakes. If we are both at home and it starts to rain, we will either attract the attention of a shiny out child or text each other so neither of us misses the opportunity to bring our washing in.

It is a lovely, neighbourly thing to do.

If I were you, I'd broach the subject when you're both out in your gardens. Get her view on it (if she's just polite, you will know) and then if the situation arises again, you'll know what to do.

ChangeNameToday Tue 07-May-13 18:32:35

I'm with your DH on this one. I would find that creepy. I can imagine my mum doing it for her elderly neighbor but they've known each other for 30 years so it's a bit different. If I didn't know you I would think you were a busy-body.

Dawndonna Tue 07-May-13 18:32:41

We always do one anothers washing here. Just the way we are.

sittinginthesun Tue 07-May-13 18:34:02

My old neighbour (single man in his 60's), used to get my washing in when it rained. As I did loads more than him, he also used to lend me his line, which was in full sun all day, so I could dry two loads at once.

We're still great friends, but live 5 mins away now, so bit too far to collect in washing.

thefirstmrsrochester Tue 07-May-13 18:35:45

Where I live, we all do this for each other. And finish it in the tumble drier. My mum takes in her neighbours washing and even irons it!

BrawToken Tue 07-May-13 18:44:27

I would be delighted smile

wibblyjelly Tue 07-May-13 19:04:27

You've all just reminded me to get mine in thanks neighbours!

everlong Tue 07-May-13 19:11:06

Once ( in this house ) my decorator brought all my washing in.

Thongs, bras, tiny pants. All folded up on the kitchen top. blush

Dh reckoned he had a thing for me!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now