Guardian reading middle class leftie?

(344 Posts)
Hullygully Tue 07-May-13 16:12:25

Sign in

Stand shoulder to shoulder

Out and Proud

limitedperiodonly Thu 09-May-13 22:25:40

I strongly disapprove of those people who leave the Metro and the Standard littered all over the Tube.

That's nearly all of them.

And they're vacuous Tory rags.

MrsKoala Thu 09-May-13 22:26:00

i am Betty, complete with pearls and everything!

My parents buy the mail on Sunday and i can feel my blood pressure going up as my mum reads out the articles to me while i try to ignore her. 'ere, Koala, 'ark at this, some immigrants claiming benefits got a million pound 'ouse the day the arrived in Lahndon' Me <sigh and cry and die a bit inside>

scarecrow22 Thu 09-May-13 22:37:08

Quesadilla (and Awkward) : how do you know so much about the Grauniad journos/staff. And are you referring to the reporters (presumably vast majority of "staff"), or just columnists/opinion writers?

Zombies: DM "sidebar if shame" is genius. Even if you did not coin phrase you should claim it. It is scarily addictive, though....

scottishmummy Thu 09-May-13 22:44:03

guardian readers can be so self congratulatory bout how achingly liberal they are
like saying guardian reader,and expect pause for Round of applause
stereotypical guardian reader bears no resemblance to mainstream

bettycocker Thu 09-May-13 22:48:07

Koala, so I have to doff my hat to you?

Yes, all those immigrants in their massive houses...

It's funny when it's your family. DP is now a UKIP supporter. I'm not sure how I feel about that. He thinks they will liberate us from the tyrannical clutches of the EU.

He doesn't believe that they might be a bit of a far right party.

limitedperiodonly Thu 09-May-13 23:03:21

who are ye calling a guardian reader
away wit ye an bite ye thumbs
the rest of ye can line the crapboxes of oor wee selkies w'it

FanjoForTheMammaries Thu 09-May-13 23:22:23

Scottishmummy..do you read the Daily Record,Scotland's finest?

scottishmummy Thu 09-May-13 23:29:52

i don't read the daily rangers.but I love the Sunday post,associate it with being a wean and the broons

FanjoForTheMammaries Thu 09-May-13 23:33:59

I did grow up with the Sunday Post, haven't read it for years

squoosh Thu 09-May-13 23:36:30

My old flatmate used to get the Daily Record delivered every morning. She used to read out Frank Pilkington's horoscopes and Joan McWhaternames agony aunt column out every morning.

scottishmummy Thu 09-May-13 23:36:33

granny give the weans broons every year

ComposHat Thu 09-May-13 23:42:58

On the odd occasion I've glanced at the Daily Record it seems to consist of nothing but but tits, celebrities, celebrity tits, Rangers, Glasgow Gangsters, Paolo Nuttini and them more tits for good measure.

squoosh Thu 09-May-13 23:44:46

And real life stories with people doing the Daily Record sad-face tilted head pose.

FanjoForTheMammaries Thu 09-May-13 23:44:52

That's about it

Lovecat Fri 10-May-13 00:04:44

Not MC and only read online these days (skint), but leftie and would-if-I-could-afford-it-Guardian reader.

We always had the Sunday Post in my childhood, the only paper my mother considered 'suitable' for family reading (Dad was banished to the shed with his Sunday People).

I'm glad of it now, as early consumption of Oor Wullie and The Broons has enabled me to understand my Aberdonian step-MIL... (when DH can't) smile

LadyClariceCannockMonty Fri 10-May-13 11:07:22

'i actually fit nowhere. When i'm with properly bourgeois people, they think of me as the help and when i'm with WC people they think of me as posh.'

This describes me to a tee, too! Can't win.

frumpet Fri 10-May-13 12:19:50

Does it count if you only read it on a Saturday ? and if you are a media slut who also buys the Times and Yorkshire post ? Takes me all week to read the three , although i only buy the post to drool over the property section . I was born to live somewhere with a haha (sp) grin

bettycocker Fri 10-May-13 16:59:39

'i actually fit nowhere. When i'm with properly bourgeois people, they think of me as the help and when i'm with WC people they think of me as posh.'

And me as well.

Yonionekanobe Fri 10-May-13 17:24:33

Late to the party but yep.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now