To think this man is awesome

(94 Posts)
PatPig Tue 07-May-13 13:04:48
TheBigJessie Fri 10-May-13 11:07:06

Do we want a world where people continue to "walk on by" in case the press dig up their past? People are complex. They do wrong things, and good things.

Surely, the fact that he has been convicted of domestic violence, but moved to help the victim, when he thought the matter was a comparatively simple domestic violence case, is personal progress to be applauded?

Many previous perpetrators of domestic violence would always be on the side of another perpetrator, wouldn't they?

For all we know, he went to help, because he sincerely regrets his previous behaviour.

Or maybe he's still hell to live with. It doesn't matter. Because he's someone who did what was right one random day, not a politician running for office!

andubelievedthat Fri 10-May-13 08:35:06

seeing as America is very much a gun culture ,he is a coloured fella with form I would say he is a hero .That could have went spectacularly wrong for that man.

WafflyVersatile Thu 09-May-13 22:17:13

Interesting article. And you know I let out one of those explosive sneeze type laughs when I saw it too. It's funny because it's true. Humourously astute words from his experience of being a black man in America.

Booyhoo Thu 09-May-13 13:09:39

the man wasn't making a never before spoken observation. he was playing a well known and well used tactic for humourous effect. whether he actually believed it (that a white girl running to a black man= problems) or not isn't known.

Booyhoo Thu 09-May-13 13:05:45

oh god they're all desperate to their articles out there with a 'different' 'unseen before they pointed it out to us' aspect. i agree with some of the comments underneath it. it's odd for a child of any colour (pretty or otherwise) to run into the arms of a strange man of any colour. especially a child who had spent all six years of her life knowing only one abusive man.

ephemeralfairy Thu 09-May-13 12:42:23
Booyhoo Thu 09-May-13 12:35:38

he was in the right place at the right time and made the decision most of us hope we would have made too. he didn't plan it with any agenda to make himself a hero or to gain publicity for himself. he acted to help another person in trouble when he was called upon to do so. he mightn't be the typical 'hero' we think of who runs into a burning building to save a child but in reality that guy didn't know what was behind that door or whether he was being tricked as part of some game or a set up for tv. he said himself he thought it was a domestic violence thing so he could have been walking in on a man in a violent rage or with a weapon. yes he's a big guy but he didn't know what was there. so yes, what he did- was very brave in my eyes. i dont think everyone would have done the same in that situation- even if we think we would- survival instinct kicks in and we would asses the situation wrt our own safety first.

his past behaviour is appalling. there is no doubt about that. but that does not mean he didn't do a heroic thing on monday. credit where credit is due and in this instance it is. he has served his sentence and is now 10 years clear. he has pledged his rewards to the kidnapping victims and although seems a bit of an animated character- doesn't seem to be seeking to gain from this in any way. we all have pasts that we regret and woudl do differently given the chance- we all expect to be able to move forwards and better ourselves without constantly being told " you cant be good now- you were bad once"- like i tell my children, very few people are entirely bad or entirely good- we all do good and bad things but hope overall to be able to be good. what would be the point in trying to be good if people told you you couldn't be because you were once bad?

kungfupannda Thu 09-May-13 11:48:26

He did the right thing. I doubt he'd describe himself as a hero, but he saw someone in need and he helped her.

I don't see any way in which that isn't a good thing. Plenty of people would have gone back in their house and decided it was none of their business.

EldritchCleavage Thu 09-May-13 10:43:52

I agree with SarahAndFuck.

This where simplistic hero/villain stuff gets us, isn't it? Lionised beyond all proportion for one good deed, people then see him being hero-worshiped and jump to point out he isn't all that by telling people he's got a criminal record.

His crimes sound awful.But what are his chances of any kind of redemption if this is how people react to him getting attention for doing quite a good thing?

SarahAndFuck Thu 09-May-13 09:17:10

I didn't call him a hero either, he's a man who has done good and bad in his life, just like everyone else. I liked him in the interviews and I think he deserves some credit for walking into a situation that not everyone would have involved themselves in.

His bad deed may be more extreme than yours, for example, but his good deed is probably more extreme too.

I'm not suggesting that the one cancels out the other, but I'd still take Charles Ramsey and his funny, charming interview over the mud-rakers who ran straight out to dig up the dirt on him.

It would be a shame to think that the next time someone needs help, the person able to provide it walks away because their personal life isn't up to scratch and they are scared of having past mistakes thrown in their face.

PatPig Thu 09-May-13 09:11:25

I believe that is a problem, especially in the US - if you have done bad things in the past, it can basically fuck up your chances of ever getting a job.

Tenacity Thu 09-May-13 04:00:55

Moral of the story

Tenacity Thu 09-May-13 03:59:28

somedayma The moral if the story is no good deed goes unpunished.
If you have done some bad things in the past, you might as well give up- don't ever help anyone.

WafflyVersatile Thu 09-May-13 02:03:57

He wasn't a hero to me. He did a good thing, the right thing, and the interview clips were entertaining. It now appears he did some bad things too.

People, eh.

somedayma Thu 09-May-13 01:57:05

is he still awesome? www.thesmokinggun.com/documents/cleveland-hero-charles-ramsey-8702415 Genuine question. Everyone calling him a hero, is he still a hero to you?

PatPig Wed 08-May-13 22:27:53
fuzzypicklehead Wed 08-May-13 21:51:43

Actually, I've just read in several articles that Charles Ramsey has pledged any reward money he receives to the women he helped rescue. One fund has raised $3,300 just today. He's a dishwasher who earns minimum wage.

I'd say that elevates him to feckin' awesome, actually.

Kewcumber Wed 08-May-13 11:49:54

I found stories of the few people who survived the collapse of the twin towers uplifting and yes even joyful, I celebrated the rescue of the chilean miners.

Both were tragic events that I did not find at all amusing/joyful.

To suggest that people can only feel one emotion about an event is peculiar.

Booyhoo Wed 08-May-13 10:59:49

"The captors daughter, ran away from home when pregnant, now doing a 25 stretch, MH issues, stabbed her own baby and commit suicide."

how is she doing a 25 year sentence if she killed herself? confused

as for tabard's comment

i am happy that 3 women and a little girl didn't spend last night in captivity. i'm happy they weren't raped or beaten or starved last night.

i'm not happy about what they've been through over the last ten years but yes- it is a reason to celebrate that they have been released from their physical prison and hopefully reunited with their families. i am happy about that.

chocoluvva Wed 08-May-13 10:37:22

Mr Ramsay came across to me as being in a state of shock. I'd imagine if you'd been involved in something as extraordinary as that you would be explaining, 'Well, I was doing x/y ordinary, run of the mill activity when....'

He also explained that he had previously had his suspicions about the house but was told that it was okay. So he must have had very mixed feelings - I told you so, but also regret that he didn't follow up his suspicions.

SarahAndFuck Wed 08-May-13 09:23:41

"Plenty of posters are suggesting, for more than one moment, that I personally would be happier if these women were still being brutalised."

No, they are not.

NiceTabard Wed 08-May-13 07:54:58

Plenty of posters are suggesting, for more than one moment, that I personally would be happier if these women were still being brutalised.

Given the fact that I can't find room to feel anything more than relief - I can't feel joy because I can't stop thinking about what has been happening with them - that seems a mean comment.

Still if that is really what people think then that's up to them I guess. You don't know me and so if you want to believe it makes me happy when people are subjected to horrendous abuse then I suppose I just have to go along with that.

creighton Wed 08-May-13 07:09:15

sarah, thanks, as i clarified in my second post, people are taking 5 minutes to be happy. questions are already being asked about how the women held captive for 10 years in a crowded neighbourhood. yesterday was a short time of relief before the hard questions were asked. how hard is that to understand?

Tenacity Wed 08-May-13 03:42:10

That man was definitely awesome!
Awesome for doing something a lot of people wouldn't do.
Even here on MN, a lot of posters would not get involved in a domestic matter, in case of danger.
It's really nice that there are still some decent people, who would potentially put their neck on the line for others.

SarahAndFuck Tue 07-May-13 23:50:37

I don't think that poster was suggesting for one moment that the ten years those women spent locked up was good news.

She's commenting on the rescue and the particular news clip on this thread of the man who helped to rescue them, and that particular part of the story is good news, good that he and the other people overheard Amanda Berry, good that he decided to help rather than decide it was none of his business, good that he was able to get her out, give her his phone, wait with her until more help arrived and good that he then gave the police a description of the car that helped them capture the man who owned the house.

All of that is good news all around. I think you are being unfair to suggest she meant it was good news those women spent ten years locked away when it's obvious to everyone else, when she has actually clarified the point for you, that she's talking specifically about the rescue and the fact that the women are alive and now safe.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now