To think this man is awesome

(94 Posts)
PatPig Tue 07-May-13 13:04:48
Alligatorpie Tue 07-May-13 14:42:04

I am Canadian. awesome is not a word I use very often, but yes, I think that guy is pretty awesome!

Lots of people would have looked the other way, he didn't and good for him. I hope he gets his reward.

Kewcumber Tue 07-May-13 14:44:59

He did the decent thing which many don;t - he said when he got involved he thought it was a domestic violence incidence. Frightening how many people wouldn't intervene in that situation.

chocoluvva Tue 07-May-13 14:54:36

He's very cool and charming. And funny.

LifeofPo Tue 07-May-13 15:36:27

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PatPig Tue 07-May-13 15:48:09

Why shouldn't we chuckle at him?

EldritchCleavage Tue 07-May-13 15:48:22

I agree with LifeofPo. It isn't really a funny story, is it?

LifeofPo Tue 07-May-13 15:50:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

You know you've lost all sense of perspective in life when you think about 'Americanisms' instead of women escaping from a dungeon.

hmm

HoneyDragon Tue 07-May-13 16:03:19

Anyone who stops and doesn't walk on by is awesome. He handed her his phone and waited with her. He didn't judge or ignore the situation - he just helped.

Tabliope Tue 07-May-13 16:03:42

How rude. I would think the sense of perspective was lost talking about the man in the first place as being awesome (in how funny he is) when the story is about the women. Which I did refer to in a post that the story was about them, not him. Of course, anyone can take the time to bitch. Get out the bed the wrong side perhaps?

Tabliope Tue 07-May-13 16:04:21

Have a hmm from me laurie

"Of course, anyone can take the time to bitch".

Oh, the irony grin

Tabliope Tue 07-May-13 16:37:02

Yes, oh the irony grin. Picking me up on my perspective when your perspective is to have a go when women have been locked up for 10 years. Hilarious!

StickEmWithThePointyEnd Tue 07-May-13 16:54:01

sad the full list of missing persons on that FBI site is harrowing. So many children and that's just in one country. So sad.

LtEveDallas Tue 07-May-13 17:04:22

I think the whole story is awesome in a frightening, incredible, shocking, harrowing and amazing way (and I'm a 41 year old white English woman).

Words are just words (and what exactly is wrong with sounding like an American teenager anyway? What's wrong with them?)

NiceTabard Tue 07-May-13 17:10:38

On the BBC earlier they said that a female neighbour heard the shouting, and couldn't get in so went and got another neighbour, and they still couldn't do anything so they got this bloke and between them they got the door open.

Not sure why the man's actions are so much more amazing than the actions of the women, maybe there are some other reports I missed or something.

TSSDNCOP Tue 07-May-13 17:18:18

It's amazing and fabulous that the women have been found alive. It will, I reckon, take a very, very long time for them to feel safe and well.

There must be a million questions regarding their disappearance, captors, why it took so long to find them etc.

In the meantime, the man who helped them to safety, gives an excellent account of how he came to do so. I would like to buy him a Big Mac and shake his hand.

I'm also impressed he didn't call the CNN dude a fool like he clearly wanted to grin

He is fab...I hope he enjoys the reward

chibi Tue 07-May-13 17:52:27

can someone plz clarify if tabliope is an american?

i really need to know before i can comment effectively

thanks that would be AWESOME

saintmerryweather Tue 07-May-13 17:53:58

He didnt really do anything difficult or dangerous though did he? I wouldnt call him a hero

hackmum Tue 07-May-13 17:57:17

I know everyone is very excited about this story but I think it's all terribly sad. Those women were locked up in a cellar for more than 10 years, presumably being sexually abused the whole time. One of them must have given birth alone, probably without pain relief. So I agree with LifeofPo.

creighton Tue 07-May-13 21:01:25

it's a good news story all around. 3 women found alive and an entertaining rescuer as the cherry on the top. people were cheering in the streets and at the hospital where the women were taken.

KitchenandJumble Tue 07-May-13 21:09:38

This man was a good neighbour. I would venture to suggest that is just about the best thing that any of us could ever hope to be.

The word "hero" gets bandied about far too much for my liking. But this gentleman did the right thing at the right time. That is what being a decent human being is all about.

HarrySnotter Tue 07-May-13 21:12:17

Fantastic that these women have been found and that this man did the right thing.

As for the word awesome, i can't even believe that anyone would pick up on the OPs use of a particular word. A word is a word, big deal.

NiceTabard Tue 07-May-13 21:15:12

It's not really a good news story all round though is it.

I kind of think that when there is some kind of incident and people are rescued against the odds before anything too bad happens to them. Like if there's an avalanche and everyone is rescued and safe.

I can't think of what these women must have gone through and feel it as good news. Yes it's good they're out but who knows what kind of state they are in. It's horrifying, to my mind.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now