to wear a white dress to a wedding?

(156 Posts)
ToothpasteKisses Mon 06-May-13 22:04:40

Have a friends wedding in June.

Have been looking at dresses online and my favourite ones are white. None are "bridey" looking dresses.

If you were the bride would that annoy you? Or is it a silly old tradition that only the bride wears white?

5318008 Mon 06-May-13 22:06:04

oh don't my dear. you'll just look a bit I Wish It Were Me, which ain't a good look on anyone

sarahseashell Mon 06-May-13 22:06:12

Although I wouldn't mind if I was the bride, I think it's best avoided. Just buy a different colour dress save any undue hassle

MrsCampbellBlack Mon 06-May-13 22:06:16

To be honest, I think its a little rude. If you're buying a new dress for the wedding then I would buy a non-white one.

HollyBerryBush Mon 06-May-13 22:07:10

V bad etiquette

Katienana Mon 06-May-13 22:07:28

Don't do it. It's rude and even if the bride doesn't mind other guests wil l think it odd.

dubstarr73 Mon 06-May-13 22:07:42

Dont do it you wil always be known as the one who wore white(to upstage the bride)its not worth it

MikeOxard Mon 06-May-13 22:08:15

Rude, just don't.

Cravingdairy Mon 06-May-13 22:08:27

The bride probably won't notice but the other guests may give you the side eye.

timidviper Mon 06-May-13 22:08:34

Another no vote I'm afraid

chirpchirp Mon 06-May-13 22:09:06

I personally wouldn't but probably wouldn't be annoyed if I was the bride.

If it is the cut/style of the dress that you like could you get it and dye it another colour?

Hegsy Mon 06-May-13 22:09:32

YABU my mum got married yesterday and there was a mother & daughter both in white/cream the daughters dress was VERY similar to my mums at the top. hmm wouldn't have been noticeable in purple/mint etc but in ivory you couldn't miss it!

BikeRunSki Mon 06-May-13 22:09:33

My sister did this to my wedding and my brother's wedding. In neither case did the bride wear white, but there were a lot of raised eyebrows and comments around "bad form", "upstaging", "attention seeker" etc. Bad manners I'd say.

kotinka Mon 06-May-13 22:09:35

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

bootsycollins Mon 06-May-13 22:09:52

Absolutely not

CSIJanner Mon 06-May-13 22:11:13

YAB slightly U - I went to a wedding where a guest wore pure white - clutch, shoes, flower in hair, the works. It did not go down well with anybody, especially the bride and groom.

I'm saying slightly as you've not bought it - your browsing and asking the question. Are you bride or grooms side? Do you think you coud ask? Also, if you put a bright scarf, shawl, shoes etc with it, it could differentiate between you and the bride.

If and only if you accessorise with very not white accessories eg hot pink jacket, turquoise shoes, black and white hat, that kind of thing.

Head to toe white, Fuck No.

stiffstink Mon 06-May-13 22:11:29

As a bride, I noticed. Thought it was weird
One guest has worn white to every wedding I've seen her at. Its weird.
Its her wedding this year. Might wear white, just to be weird.

MonkeyingAroundTown Mon 06-May-13 22:12:59

In the same boat. Seen an absolutely gorgeous white vintage dress in white which I contemplated getting for a wedding I have been invited to. But I have not bought it out of respect for the bride. I doubt the bride would even notice as she would be on cloud nine but its the other guests who wouldn't hesitate in having a bitch fest at another guests white dress.

Winetime1981 Mon 06-May-13 22:13:38

Don't do it. I have a friend that always fecking wears white to other people's weddings. It does my head in. What's 'worse' is she's a gorgeous, tall, slim, stunning blonde and so she easily steals the show. Strange behaviour in my book.

Fasterkillpussycat Mon 06-May-13 22:13:49

Someone wore a skin tight white dress to my wedding and then proceeded to grind against my husband on the dance floor. We have been invited to her wedding this summer. I am only going if I can wear my wedding dress.

CSIJanner Mon 06-May-13 22:14:07

stiffstink grin

Winetime1981 Mon 06-May-13 22:14:46

Agree with stiff - I noticed. Thought it was weird. Wasn't bothered but did think 'oh that's weird'.

I wouldn't. A colleague wore white to our evening do, didn't bother me in the slightest (it was a lovely dress and I said as much) but i later found out she copped some serious bitching from others about it. I felt dreadful for her as she genuinely didn't know it is seen as bad form, she'd made a real effort to be there and I was in no way what so ever bothered by it. (I did speak to those that had bitched at her but that's not really the point! ) smile

Maxium12 Mon 06-May-13 22:15:37

No, don't even think about it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now