AIBU to be annoyed at Disney's reworking of Merida?

(53 Posts)
Sparhawk Mon 06-May-13 18:19:34

They've going to give her make-up, completely changed her facial features and made her dress skimpier.

Here.

There's also a petition protesting it Here.

What do you guys think?

PoppyAmex Sun 12-May-13 12:05:44

She was pretty, but was carrying a bow and wasn't showing off her cleavage.

Akifden Sun 12-May-13 11:59:04

I think she was pretty before. I fail to see why she has to be sexy to be pretty, which she clearly is in the new pictures.

CloudsAndTrees Sun 12-May-13 10:37:03

I've just read the wording of that petition, and I'd be annoyed by that tbh.

'Keep Merida brave'

Why can't a character still be brave, successful, independant as well as being pretty?

Girls don't have to be one or the other.

Isn't it turning girls off of aspiring to those admirable qualities if they aren't attracted to the character?

Sokmonsta Sun 12-May-13 03:21:39

<wonder's how long until Sofia grows up>

Yanbu. It's an awful redesign and does nothing to support body confidence. I get that it's 'only a film' but children pick up on these changes so easily.

I'm hoping dd (5) carries on enjoying Sofia on Disney junior a bit longer. That girl has gumption if a little twee in places.

aliasjoey Sat 11-May-13 18:23:47

Just wanted to say THANK YOU for bringing this to my attention! I try to teach my DD about feminist principles, but am not always very articulate. Luckily I followed the link you gave which was really helpful.

DD and I made a game of trying to find all the differences between the two pictures! We found -

Hair 'sexier' and more tamed
Face shape less round (more grown up)
Enhanced cleavage
Rounder eyes (again this seen as sexier)
Exaggerated waist-hip shape
Pouting mouth (instead of the cheeky grin she had)
Finally DD noticed that she was no longer carrying her bow and arrow ie. the very thing that gave her character and made her different

hermioneweasley Fri 10-May-13 22:12:43

Over 50,000 signatures on the petition now. I haven't seen any response from Disney though.

gotthearse Fri 10-May-13 22:08:28

Bastards. Cant meddle with Merida. My dd LOVES her and wants to be her more than anything. And they've taken away her bow and arrow. Wankers.

BumPotato Mon 06-May-13 23:49:34

Brave is such a naff movie. I can see why Disney is trying to sex Merida up. Don't agree with it, however.

Mumsyblouse Mon 06-May-13 21:39:50

I hate the look of all of those Disney Princesses as they are all posing in a very coquettish really quite sexual way which is not appropriate for princesses for young girls. The Disney fairies pose like Page 3 models with tiny bras and pants on, with their arms behind their heads, head to one side. They don't stand up straight and look straight at the camera like the original Mereda did. They are all designed by 21 year old males and it shows and not in a good way.

Sparhawk Mon 06-May-13 21:39:46

Oh my gosh I can't write today!

*it's because

*this is an interesting article

hermioneweasley Mon 06-May-13 21:37:11

Done the petition. This gives me the RAGE! I thought Brave had been a success? Maybe the film was but less of the merchandising?

Sparhawk Mon 06-May-13 21:36:34

Growlithe I don't dislike Disney Princesses because I think they'll turn my daughter 'daft' and 'sappy' it because they blatantly reinforce stereotypical gender roles and promote a warped body ideal.

This is an interesting discussing it.

zukiecat Mon 06-May-13 21:32:57

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PoppyAmex Mon 06-May-13 21:29:13

OP you're absolutely right and the petition letter is very eloquent - signed and passed on.

Growlithe Mon 06-May-13 21:26:28

I know it's not particularly a popular view on MN to not hate the Disney Princesses, but I don't mind them as IME girls seem to grow out of them when they are about 6, without being turned all daft and sappy.

That said, I have noticed they are remodeling ALL the princesses, so they are no longer true to the original films, which surely children who like them will still want to watch. I think they all look a bit odd now.

I think Merida had a fabulous look before, and it's such a recent film you wonder why they have done this.

Well DD loves Brave. It is the only Disney Princess film she is allowed to watch watches. Shame they felt the need to make her older, 'prettier', bustier and twinklier.

Mehrida Mon 06-May-13 19:31:15

Ew, she's gone all... Sparkly.

May feel a namechange coming on now. Hmm.

Sparhawk Mon 06-May-13 19:30:39

I thought it was aimed at older children than younger ones.

StickEmWithThePointyEnd Mon 06-May-13 19:30:24

Coming of age would have traditionally been when they started their period, not based on reaching a particular age though wouldn't it? So she could be younger than 16. Although I am likely reading too much into this as it's a kids film and also not real, so accuracy was probably not at the top of their priority list.

Twattybollocks Mon 06-May-13 19:30:11

Ew, she looks terrible! She is the action princess, the one who doesn't do girly shit. The new version looks vacuous and insipid. Dd will NOT be impressed, and neither am I!

FeckOffCup Mon 06-May-13 19:29:54

I agree squoosh, I've only watched it once and don't really intend to see it again, it's not one of pixar's stronger offerings. I found it really dark in terms of the colours used in the animation, to the point where I couldn't see what was meant to be happening at some points. Maybe that's why it hasn't been popular with kids, it's not as interesting visually as Toy Story or Finding Nemo.

squoosh Mon 06-May-13 19:29:33

I think back in medieval times girls probably did get betrothed at 11 or 12 but I can see that's not a practice Disney will want to be seen to be promoting grin

ihearsounds Mon 06-May-13 19:27:30

No Merida is not supposed to be 11 or 12. Girls of that age don't normally get betrothed do they? She is supposed to be 16.

squoosh Mon 06-May-13 19:26:06

Didn't realise she was supposed to be 16. It's a shame, she's a good character but the cartoon wasn't the strongest.

fluffyraggies Mon 06-May-13 19:25:10

YANBU.

So sad to hear that the Merida doll isn't selling well. Who is it that's buying into this 'sexy princess' ideal then? Parents? Kids? Sad either way.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now