not an AIBU but an update (aibu to be suspicious of landlord MIL)

(117 Posts)
SmellsLikeTeenStrop Mon 06-May-13 15:40:46

I promised I would update so here it is.

original thread

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/am_i_being_unreasonable/a1545014-to-be-a-little-suspicious-of-landlord-MIL

Readers digest version. MIL is our landlord, really rubbish one who breaks the law by not maintaining the boiler at all. We had a sort of agreement to buy this house from her when we could afford to but when we got to that point she kept putting off, making excuses.

We've bought a house, moving this weekend. When DH told MIL she had another screaming tantrum and could not believe what we're doing to her. She's currently not speaking to us.

MoreBeta nailed the situation in his first post of that thread. The mortgage on this house is large, none of the capital has been paid off and she did expect us to take on responsibility for her debts of which this house has seen absolutely no benefit from.

ScrambledSmegs Sat 08-Jun-13 09:18:36

Wonderful news! Congratulations on your new lovely home and especially your baby.

Your DH is right to cut her out. I'm sad for him, it must have been so hard for him to see her for who she really is.

raisah Sat 08-Jun-13 03:40:02

Well done and congratulations! Your MIL is probably furious because she will have to spend some money on the house before she could let the property out. No decent agency will have it on their books and I am sure you can report her to the local council for being a dodgy landlord.

ZillionChocolate Sat 08-Jun-13 00:30:07

Hurrah!

Yani Sat 08-Jun-13 00:25:23

I saw your previous thread, and did wonder if there could ever be a good outcome!
Huge congrats. Stay strong smile

So glad to see you have a new home now OP, I remember your thread, can't believe that it's been so bloody long since you posted it!

BlackeyedSusan Fri 07-Jun-13 23:06:48

smile glad you like th enew house. did you get the boiler disabled?

Sunnywithshowers Fri 07-Jun-13 23:03:15

Great news OP, I'm glad you and your family are enjoying your new home.

smile

Ah yey enjoy your new MIL free home smile and life

Bobyan Fri 07-Jun-13 22:40:46

This is one of my favourite threads EVER!

I'm smirking at the thought of you pissing off your Mil...

OctopusWrangler Fri 07-Jun-13 22:03:28

Happy times. I remember the old thread, I much prefer this one. Enjoy!

IKnowWhat Fri 07-Jun-13 21:50:43

I am really glad you and your family are happy smile.

SmellsLikeTeenStrop Fri 07-Jun-13 21:23:59

I don't know about that weekend mousy, but I certainly did today grin. Sorry about late update, we've only just got our internet back.

I'm loving the new house, the kids love it. I look forward to coming home whereas before I would be quite happy to spend all day out. I want people to come round instead of always putting off and suggesting we go somewhere else instead. Everyone is happy except MIL who can't believe DH did this to her and how could he be so inconsiderate. We've encountered her once at our old house and she's sent some very odd letters also to our old house. DH won't give her our new address and now because of her behaviour, he won't see her.

She's trying to enlist family friends in hounding DH but is not being particularly successful, we're getting messages of support rather than ''how could you do this to your poor old mum''. I could well believe that they have the measure of MIL and have been waiting for something like this to happen.

MousyMouse Sun 19-May-13 17:53:29

I hope you are having some pimms a cuppa in your lovely own garden today!

prettybird Fri 10-May-13 11:23:49

Good luck with your move this weekend. I'm sure you'll be very happy in your new and safe home. thanks

And make sure to enjoy some well earned wine grin

Congratulations on the birth of your son!

Congratulations on buying a new home for your family!!

Well done you!!!

I read your other thread and was stunned at the sheer balls that your MIL / Landlady had in relation to the boiler. Had she not seen the news stories at the time where people had been killed by Carbon Monoxide poisoning??? Did she honestly think that something like that wouldn't happen to her house???

If the boiler is as old as it is and if it hasn't been serviced, what I would do is when you are leaving the house, you should phone the gas company with the last readings from the meter and casually drop into the conversation whether the boiler has been serviced and could they send an flyer around to the landlady with prices to get a new boiler and the current boiler serviced.

Leave it up to her and the gas company to sort out but if it were me, I couldn't just say nothing.

Enjoy the new place.

shewhowines Wed 08-May-13 08:43:41

Great happy ending.

Bearleigh Wed 08-May-13 08:25:22

You might like to consider having a surveyor review the house as you leave it, and do a dilpidations report, just in case she tries to claim it was in a worse state than it actually is. At the very least, take photos of everything, with date stamps...

Good luck with the move and congratulations.

dutchyoriginal Wed 08-May-13 06:55:07

So lovely to hear about your new house! Congratulations!

Also, as many other posters have said, please report the boiler, before it kills someone! If you don't, it might even come back to you in the end ("this boiler is unsafe, why didn't the previous tenants say anything?").

Tortoiseontheeggshell Wed 08-May-13 02:24:22

OP, what a lovely update. So very satisfying.

Wibblypiglikesbananas Wed 08-May-13 01:50:16

Given this latest development, please do report her. She'll be responsible for killing someone at this rate.

CookieB Wed 08-May-13 01:39:20

Me & dp rent a house from his uncle. We have 2 dc & kept falling asleep all the time a few yrs ago. The gas cooker broke down 6 months after we moved in & when it was getting replaced the engineer checked the boiler. The flue was full of old newspapers and leaves! It was condemned because we wer getting poisoned. According to my dp's uncle the boiler was fine because it had worked fine for 30 years & he was gettin taken for a ride!? He replaced it eventually but it took 3 months thru 1 of the bitterest winters we had 2 get it completed. He is a money grabbing cunt like this bitch. I have a ds & can only hope of owning a house to pass to him & my dd.

AudrinaAdare Wed 08-May-13 00:02:37

Oh, do please update the decor in the airing cupboard by writing "condemned bolier" in black marker.

Your MIL is a greedy piss-taking horror.

Congrats on your lovely new DS and good luck in your new home smile smile smile

cozietoesie Tue 07-May-13 23:56:21

I seem to remember moving into my last house which had a dodgy gas fire/boiler (combined) and it had been disabled by the Gas Board with big red and white stickers all over it. That was many years ago though.

Might be worth checking with your supplier - with the new gas set up I'm not sure what the rules are these days.

StuntGirl Tue 07-May-13 23:52:10

I remember your original thread too OP, so glad you got out of there and into a lovely new house!

If she tries to rent it out to anyone else I would have to report her, even if she could get in trouble. Much, much better than someone dying due to a faulty boiler.

NigellaTufnel Tue 07-May-13 23:24:42

You know that she will rent it without fixing the boiler though?

Please report her

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now