... to expect DDs to wear ACTUAL pants?

(72 Posts)
StabInTheDark Mon 06-May-13 15:33:38

Maybe I am just seriously out of touch, but all three of my DDs (18, 15 and 12) wear leggings like they are pants!!!

Now I think leggings are lovely when worn under a long top or a dress, but DDs (and the majority of girls I see on the street) seem to think they are a substitute for actual trousers. They wear them with normal length tops and jackets, which only go to their waists, leaving their bottoms and legs totally exposed in these leggings. Luckily DDs' leggings are thick enough that you can't see their underwear, but there have been soooo many times when I've been tempted to grab a teenage girl in the street, frogmarch her into a shop and supervise her buying a pair of jeans!

Whenever I question my DDs about the 'leggings as pants' craze, I get the whole 'Oh mum, you don't understand', reply!

So, do your DDs do the same? And AIBU to expect girls to wear ACTUAL pants?!

MrsDeVere Mon 06-May-13 16:32:10

I see it a lot round here.

I live in a very diverse area. They make those leggings in every skin tone imaginable.

They ALL look horrible and weird.

I love legging. I have loads. I only wear them with frocks or mini skirts.
Tight are impractical for work as are dresses without something underneath.

Leggings are thick tights. They are not thin trousers.

Startail Mon 06-May-13 16:32:47

We all wore leggings as pants/trousers in the 1980's it wasn't a problem.

The problem is the totally shit quality of the leggings, DD2 has thicker footless tights.

ALittleBitOfMagic Mon 06-May-13 16:32:55

YABU .

I'm at the other side .

Legging are NOT TIGHTS gringrin

mrsjay Mon 06-May-13 16:33:26

oh so they make all colour nude tones not a good look hmm I have 1 pair i wear for work but they are more jeggings that leggings

MrsDeVere Mon 06-May-13 16:34:16

In the 80s they made leggings with high waists from really thick lycra.
They were worn with beaded bra tops.

It was different in the 80s....

SoniaGluck Mon 06-May-13 16:34:43

mrsjay At least I have been spared that. So far.

They just wet themselves laughing. sad

sunlightonthegrass Mon 06-May-13 16:34:59

Mine are all right. I'm sitting here in leggings, vest top and longish cardi (it ends around my bum - boyfriend cardi according to New Look grin) Just been and checked and you can't see my knickers and while I clearly have a bottom, it's no more obvious than when I wear jeans.

I wouldn't wear them to work but they are great for slobbing round the house in. My other 'bottoms' of choice are tracksuit bottoms; leggings are a posh day for me !

FarBetterNow Mon 06-May-13 16:36:07

Rebecca: If you leave your knickers off everyone can see EVERYTHING.

2rebecca Mon 06-May-13 16:38:59

Surely if your leggings are that thin then if you wear knickers people can see your knickers through them?

StabInTheDark Mon 06-May-13 16:42:51

Yes, I quite often see the patterns of knickers!! Preferable to seeing everything else I suppose...

And oh God, don't even get me started on nude coloured leggings!! An absolute crime, they really are!

It's sad because I really love leggings on the whole!

mrsjay Mon 06-May-13 16:48:30

In the 80s they made leggings with high waists from really thick lycra.
They were worn with beaded bra tops.

It was different in the 80s....

never wore anything beaded with them honestly grin

Annunziata Mon 06-May-13 16:51:13

*In the 80s they made leggings with high waists from really thick lycra.
They were worn with beaded bra tops.*

grin I had an electric blue pair. I thought I was gorgeous.

Honestly, OP, just laugh and pick your battles.

mrsjay Mon 06-May-13 16:52:24

I had purple hair and i WAS gorgeous grin

Annunziata Mon 06-May-13 16:55:29

Really mrsj? grin Brilliant!

MrsDeVere Mon 06-May-13 16:55:47

I had black and orange deadlocks that came down to my knees.
I was about 6 stone.

I was just walking hair...

NoelHeadbands Mon 06-May-13 16:58:32

My daughter wears black and white stripy leggings with a cropped jumper

<cries>

Annunziata Mon 06-May-13 16:59:14

Your knees?! Wow.

I had Madonna-80s hair (blush) but I think MrsD might win!

bugsyburge Mon 06-May-13 17:00:05

OP are you from manchester? I use 'pants' to refer to trousers too.... causes much confusion with non mancunians!!!

back to the question though.... drives me mad when people do this- where I live there is also a craze of large ladies wearing leggings as pants....not a good look envy

mrsjay Mon 06-May-13 17:01:30

yep grin i also had red never blue though I think mrsdv was the coolest 80s teen

threesypeesy Mon 06-May-13 17:03:44

Im 28 and wear leggings as trousers but mine are very thick ones so no underwear on show. I love my leggings and think my bum looks great in them, no different to wearing my super skinnys imo

threesypeesy Mon 06-May-13 17:05:08

Im 28 and wear leggings as trousers but mine are very thick ones so no underwear on show. I love my leggings and think my bum looks great in them, no different to wearing my super skinnys imo

Oldraver Mon 06-May-13 17:07:59

Sunny park yesterday, young woman with see through leggings and white with what looked like a multi coloured flag patterned pants on, I didnt want to get any closer to see. She did keep trying to pull down her t-shirt to cover her bum but it pinged up whenever she bent over.

Another woman, thicker leggings and she did have big pants the same colour underneath..but her top only just met the top of the leggings. I was mesmerized by her bum, it looked like two ballons filled with water

toffeelolly Mon 06-May-13 17:13:36

Hate legging's that are so thin you can see your knicker's, so cheap looking.

StabInTheDark Mon 06-May-13 17:14:51

bugsy no, I'm even further North haha, I'm from Cumbria! grin

ahh NoelHeadbands I can sympathise. sad DD2 has an awful pair of USA flag ones. I am considering accidentally losing/burning them!!

i think they're fine with long line tops, and i wear them as such.. but with short tops, NO, just NO!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now