To think 'Prince of Egypt' is just a bit sickening and not something I'd want my children to watch?

(89 Posts)
DribbleWiper Mon 06-May-13 14:45:58

Sorry, but even (and especially) if you believe it really happened, the slaughter of Egypt's first-born is just horrible and not a fit subject for a children's cartoon.

The only lesson I can see being taught here is that it's okay for your enemy's innocent children to be killed so long as it benefits you and your own nation/people.

AIBU to think that there is no way this would have been deemed acceptable to be included in a children's cartoon if it weren't a biblical story?

Bobyan Mon 06-May-13 20:47:57

Yep the idea of hearing Whitney Houston and Mariah Carey together is sickening.

SirBoobAlot Mon 06-May-13 20:57:14

Dribble he probably could wink He tutted at "Let's Play" recently because "Those aren't REAL hieroglyphs, Mummy!".

DribbleWiper Mon 06-May-13 20:59:57

Fine boy, Boob!

jamdonut Mon 06-May-13 21:04:33

Sorry for repeating already discussed stuff...sometimes its hard to read an entire thread.blush

But wasn't "god" sending the Angel of Death as a sign of his power,because Pharoah was setting himself up as a god. This was the final act out of others which were dismissed because "Anyone could do it" ie turning Moses' staff into a snake,the plague of locusts and frogs (?) and the rivers of blood? And that no-one,even Pharoah,was exempt from it,which showed how mighty he was? And the only way round it was to put the mark in blood on the door. Only people who truly believed would do that,and therefore escape the Angel's visit.
Also, it wasn't just children ,it was ALL first born sons - so, young and old.

I don't believe there is anything wrong with this being explained to children in its context.

I am not a "believer" (though I went to church as a child),and my children have Prince of Egypt and the "Joseph" (not Andrew Lloyd Webber!) DVD (also by Dreamworks,(I think) and very similar). I let them make their own minds up about it.

DribbleWiper Mon 06-May-13 21:23:20

jamdonut I'm not sure the way you've written it out makes the whole thing any less unpleasant - even more repulsive, if anything. Also, it doesn't make sense - if a deity were omnipotent, he/she could just transport his people (although why he has so few, when he's apparently so powerful, is another issue) out of Egypt? The story is unnecessarily nasty, because it's about revenge being achieved against an oppressor.

I still maintain that if this weren't a biblical story, it wouldn't be considered an appropriate subject for a children's film. Change the names and imagine it being offered to a producer - it would be considered horrific.

Bogeyface Tue 07-May-13 15:41:54

"AIBU?"
"Yes, yes you are"
"NO I'M NOT!"

Why ask? hmm

EldritchCleavage Tue 07-May-13 16:08:26

I'm surprised you're surprised, really.

The Bible (OT) is chock-full of God-sanctioned genocide and hideous 'You will respect my authority' type acts. The Bible as tribal history-certain people are 'othered' and punished in ways that would be regarded as truly horrific in any other literary context.

It's part of the problem of monotheism: if the one God is all-powerful, he cannot also be purely merciful and loving, because that would fail to explain satisfactorily all the awful things that happen in the world.

MrsMelons Tue 07-May-13 16:50:05

I cannot see anything wrong with it at all, my 2 year old DS loved the film and has continued to watch it as he has got older, he was so interested in the bible stories he asked for a bible after that and enjoys reading it (I am not religious BTW). It is not necessarily a 'kids' film and I think it is well made.

At the end of the day you are able to decide what your children do and don't watch anyway so it doesn't really matter. The story is well known so it is obvious what the content will be.

DS was much more upset after watching Bambi and ET TBH.

Bogeyface Tue 07-May-13 17:09:42

I do think that some people assume that animation = for children when this is clearly not always the case.

The Simpsons can be ok for kids but some episodes are completely unsuitable (think of any episode where Marge and Homer are getting jiggy hmm) and I am shocked that they are shown at 6pm. Family Guy, American Dad, South Park etc are all animation and yet wholly unsuitable for kids. If you are just going let your child watch something on the basis that it is animated without checking its content first then I have limited sympathy tbh.

JazzDalek Tue 07-May-13 17:11:00

*Children don't tend to take them personally and generally just take stories as they come. Unfortunately, you can't shield children from all the bad stuff. Stories are the best way for children to teach the bad things in life without them being directly involved.

It's the adults I think that understand the true horror of them. DS hasn't seen Prince of Egypt but I suspect I'd be the one who'd be more affected by the scene.*

Broadly agree with this.

I see what you mean OP but after watching the clip, I don't think this is presented "uncritically" at all. I think the way the scene is depicted is morally ambiguous, and if anything, could inspire some good debate and critical thinking in children of six or seven upwards.

I actually remember, as an atheist child in a CofE primary school, listening to this story, told by the friendly visiting vicar grin and finding the whole business rather unsettling and confusing. All of the hideous plagues inflicted on innocent Egyptians just because of their ruler's decisions. It did make me think God wasn't such a virtuous character (and to me they were all characters - the Bible was just a storybook to me).

NiceTabard Tue 07-May-13 17:33:06

Haven't seen the film but if it's the story from the bible then loads of kids will have learnt it anyway along with a whole other bunch of gory, awful stuff.

Many religions have loads of gore in their stories.

Not sure what the problem is.

jamdonut Tue 07-May-13 18:43:21

But is it a "children's film" anyway? Just because it is animation doesn't make it so.

It is a "PG",so therefore by definition,up to you as a parent to decide. Obviously,OP you have decided it is not right. Your choice. As it was my choice to let my kids watch it several years ago.

infamouspoo Tue 07-May-13 18:55:08

How old are your kids OP? I dont think children need as much cotton wool as people think to be honest.

WillowJoinInOurCrufae Tue 07-May-13 19:30:52

I used to use it with my Year 7s when we studied Judaism. Personally I think it is a great film when it comes to telling the story of the Exodus. I find the final plague scene very emotional and moving. I think Dreamworks tackled a difficult subject matter very well.

(and 'There can be miracles' makes me cry everytime)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now