To pull dh up on using the word 'basically'?

(19 Posts)
basicallybasically Mon 06-May-13 14:27:11

When he uses it, repeatedly, all the fecking time?

Like, 4-5 times in each sentence?
I counted 27 times in one evening, it's not adding anything to what he's telling me and now I've noticed he overuses it, it just GRATES on my nerves.
I'm a fairly irritable person, I'll admit, I find little things disproportionately annoying and I have to make a conscious effort not to get wound up about pointless aggravations.

The kids are starting to use it now, and he thinks I'm being bitchy when I ask him to stop it or at least try and cut it back.

angry

Tell him to start using literally. That should warm the piss up nicely. grin

BTW, you used 'like' which is much worse.

StuffezLaYoni Mon 06-May-13 14:31:29

Oh no, I can't bear "basically" being used ad nauseam. Also, "obviously." Especially when the offender is explaining something decidedly un-obvious!

Fluer Mon 06-May-13 14:32:08

I think we all have the ability to irritate each other. You wont make your relationship any better by having a go at him for it though. Most probably just have an argument etc and is it worth it. I think its more important for the kids to see the parents happy so maybe its best to ignore small faults that really don't matter.

basicallybasically Mon 06-May-13 14:33:48

OK, so he uses it literally 4-5 times in each sentence. Better?

grin

CajaDeLaMemoria Mon 06-May-13 14:34:11

It sounds like it's already a habit, so he probably doesn't notice that he's doing it. I'm not surprised you pointing out annoyed him, it'd get my back up too!

I think it's better to just ignore this until it doesn't bother you anymore. Especially if your children start doing it.

themaltesecat Mon 06-May-13 14:35:41

I'd behead my husband with a scimitar on the spot if he ever used the word "basically" in that way.

"Like" is an understandable verbal tic; "basically" warrants immediate and bloody retribution.

basicallybasically Mon 06-May-13 14:39:14

But I ignore so many of his annoying behaviours already, can't I just try and weed this one out? Pleeease?

OK, I am BU. Will try to be more tolerant in the interest of making it through the Bank Holiday with marriage intact

And breathe.....

MardyBra Mon 06-May-13 14:40:29

I dumped a boyfriend once because he said basically all the time. Just saying.

BumpingFuglies Mon 06-May-13 14:41:11

Basically
Literally
So
So, yeah
You know
Get off of it (DP)

I do them all and I annoy myself confused

basicallybasically Mon 06-May-13 14:41:41

Cross posted with someone like-minded! Thank you maltesecat smile

Tee2072 Mon 06-May-13 14:42:24

Basically, I like, obviously, think YABU.

grin

LadyBeagleEyes Mon 06-May-13 14:44:19

Basically YANBU.
How about Clearly in between the basicallys?

AllFallDown Mon 06-May-13 14:44:41

Bet you have loads of annoying linguistic tics that you don't notice – because they're yours. We all do. My DW has one that drives me spare, but I've never mentioned it in nearly 20 years of marriage, because it's massively outweighed by all the many wonderful things about her.

basicallybasically Mon 06-May-13 14:45:24

I'm seeing the funny side now, thank you Mumsnet.

And he's out mowing the lawn while I surf the net with a coffee, so it's all good. brew

BumpingFuglies Mon 06-May-13 14:47:39

Oh yes clearly and obviously. And I call everyone m'dear. I should be boiled in oil I think grin

phantomnamechanger Mon 06-May-13 15:29:26

SIL starts almost every sentence with the word basically - DH and I can't look at each other if we ask her a question because we KNOW what she will say!

Basically.....

Saski Mon 06-May-13 15:37:24

Not everyone has annoying verbal tics. I think everyone knows someone who says "literally" (incorrectly) and "basically" all the time. Note: someone, not everyone.

I would not like this, and my husband would probably want me to point it out if he had inadvertently slid into such territory.

You should point out that it makes the speaker appear much dumber than they likely are.

ChocsAwayInMyGob Mon 06-May-13 15:37:41

Listen to AllFallDown.

YABU. it's annoying, but it's not much having someone one your case all the time either.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now