Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to buy my groceries in Asda even though it comes out worst (with Tesco) in ethical shopping lists?

(55 Posts)

Can't decide where to do online shop. Waitrose comes out best but is dearest, Sainsburys middle and Asda bottom of ethical lists but cheapest eg milk £1.49 instead of £1.89 but think they screw the farmers. Should I think of my cash or think of the bigger good (as I can afford to shop in any of them).

I think the problem is that Asda / Walmart are known for unethical practices including being poor employers, using low paid workers, screwing the farmers for rock bottom prices and using low paid workers in poor conditions and child labour in their clothes production. But (or as a result) they are cheaper and therefore expletive with little financial choice have to buy from them, even if they would prefer not to. And then you have the folk who don't give a shit or believe it is good to employ people in poor conditions as it is better than being unemployed. Anyway, thanks to everyone for making me see that I should go with companies with a god ethical reputation since I care about it and can afford to chose.

People not expletive!

bettycocker Mon 06-May-13 23:16:45

Every garment that's made uses energy and resources. Every manufactured item has a carbon footprint. Do people really need so much new stuff?

We should try to reuse and recycle, if only for the good of all life on this planet. Honestly, do any of us have a right to be entitled to stuff in the first place? We're not the only inhabitants here and we can't continue the way we are going.

I'll fuck off and go back to my tree hugging now.

ivanapoo Tue 07-May-13 09:09:00

betty great point. One of the reasons I try to buy clothes in charity shops or on eBay, when I need them.

The amount of food we waste (as a nation) is shocking. We throw away something like 25% of all food we buy!

bettycocker Tue 07-May-13 19:22:43

ivanapoo, I try to buy second hand too.

For grocery shopping I will choose Waitrose, the Co-op and buy locally. Sometimes I have to go on a mercy dash to somewhere random though.

Somebody told me that I'm too poor to shop at Waitrose. hmm Maybe I can shop there because I don't spend money on other things. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now