Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To be utterly utterly bored with vintage shabby chic cath kidston letters on the wall boringness...

(404 Posts)
Pantone363 Sun 05-May-13 22:08:40

3 friends at lunch all had Cath Kidston handbags with matching purses. We passed at least 4 shabby chic shops all replete with spotty tablecloths, rose print cases and wooden letters spelling out "home" "love" "wow" (thanks Kirsty).

It's IMPOSSIBLE to find cheap secondhand furniture (because I am poor) because its all been bought by people sanding, throwing on a coat of Farrow and Ball, artfully sanding it down again and flogging a chair for £200.

I've been on TWO vintage glam hen dos this year.

I'm sick of fucking cupcakes on flowery cardboard cake tiers.

Please tell me I'm not BU. it's the new twigs in cases isn't it?

Mintyy Sun 05-May-13 22:31:47

I started a thread like this at least one, possibly two, years ago.

Still18atheart Sun 05-May-13 22:33:23

YANBU

I growing up country chic wasn't fashionable it was just the best decor which went with the surrounding. Cath Kidson has changes all of that. I really liked the odd floral print in moderation at the right time. Now I cant't stand it.

Want to put that slogan Keep Calm and Carry on Slogan in this category too

hedgefund Sun 05-May-13 22:34:24

which goes to show minty that people need to shun the vintage crap now and move on to nice new modern things grin

you can probably buy cheap stuff from ebay and 'distress' it if you still want to live in the early 1990s wink

Worriedmumofan8yearoldgirl Sun 05-May-13 22:37:12

Keep calm and....

And

Union Jack products.

Anything touristy British that seems to have made its way into house hold decor I dislike. It's so crap. Pink union jacks, and distorted union jacks made into cushion covers and storage cases and sofas and and and and and and

sittinginthesun Sun 05-May-13 22:40:48

Won't last long. I was wandering around London today - only shop that had twee vintage stuff in the window was Next, so I reckon it's on the way out.

Devora Sun 05-May-13 22:41:10

I've never been one for floral or rustic anyway, but I have become almost allergic to Cath Kidston.

Sadly, Orla Kiely, retro, and industrial vintage are rapidly moving into the same zone of ubiquity, which is sad because I DO like them.

TonysHardWorkDay Sun 05-May-13 22:53:19

I hate florals and can't stand Cath fucking Kidston. The patterns she uses are nothing new, I've got sixties fabrics in my stash that are identical. The typical Cath Kidstons fans house is so bloody bland and identikit yet they love to pat themselves on the back about how stylish and tasteful they are, if they had an original idea it'd probably kill them.

OP there is some amazing furniture to be had cheap as the CK lot are all looking for one style as they can't come up with their own ideas. I love danish teak and a lot of modern solid furniture can be revamped very nicely. Car boot sales are goldmines of great small furniture and crockery etc. You have to visit lots but they're a cheap fun morning if you avoid all the food stalls. Ebay and gumtree are good for bigger bits but you need to trawl lots and regularly to find the good pieces that are different to what the CK crowd are all hunting for.

RenterNomad Sun 05-May-13 23:03:38

Ooh, hedgefund, SHUN is another good one!

ivanapoo Sun 05-May-13 23:06:50

My son's name can be made out of those letters which is handy.

You can still buy cheap furniture unless you live in a twatty chi chi place.

squoosh Sun 05-May-13 23:07:56

YES Devora stupid, useless hearts hanging on bits of hairy string, what the fuck is the point of these? Every time I go for a piss in someone's house there the stupid hearts on hairy string are, on the back of the bathroom door!

Devora Sun 05-May-13 23:08:01

I buy all my furniture seriously cheap - from car boots sales and charity furniture shops.

I don't paint it white and distress it, though. Or - the latest trendy horror - paste panels of wallpaper onto it. Or hang rustic hearts off it.

miffybun73 Sun 05-May-13 23:09:07

YANBU, it's awful especially the Keep Calm stuff and the letters spelling out HOME etc. Yuck - no individuality at all.

squoosh Sun 05-May-13 23:10:33

And yes the Keep Calm and ....................... shite needs to take a running jump. Keep Calm and Eat Cupcakes, Keep Calm and Go Shopping. Fuck right off.

I think a German invasion would have been more acceptable than the proliferation of that tiresome rubbish.

Pantone363 Sun 05-May-13 23:11:03

Devora I did that blush.

I really needed a coff table and found one at a car boot but it had paint/varnish peeling off it. I sanded and painted it and decoupaged old maps on to the top under the glass.

I've sabotaged my own thread!

Devora Sun 05-May-13 23:12:27

I have to admit my daughters' bedrooms are roaming a little into shabby chic territory. Because, to my dismay, they do insist on the pink thing, and if you're going to do pink girls room on the cheap the easiest ways are either bright pink Barbie or faded pink shabby chic, and I've gone for the latter. So they've got battered old Lloyd Loom nursing chairs with curtains and cushions made out of 50s floral fabric, and floral bedding etc. But no hairy-stringed hearts, no words on the wall, and no bunting. I have a line that cannot be crossed.

MaryMotherOfCheeses Sun 05-May-13 23:13:04

OP YADNBU

I tried to find a small chest of drawers here. Not a hope. They've all been shabbychicvintageretro'd.

Devora Sun 05-May-13 23:13:44

Oh blush blush

I don't know whether to be embarrassed or to offer you a week at shabby chic rehab grin.

I'm sure your coffee table is lovely [slinks away from thread, tail between legs]

larahusky Sun 05-May-13 23:15:17

Might be going in London but our small town is taken over by it. We have a large hill that is nothing but crafty bunting and trugs and trays and doormats costing £50 and floral aprons.

I know I'm in pretty good mental health when they don't make me feel too bitter and twisted!

squoosh Sun 05-May-13 23:15:27

I do like a bit of furniture upcycling (awful word) though. When you're on a budget charity shop bargains are still to be had and far preferable to Ikea plasticy furniture.

Pantone363 Sun 05-May-13 23:16:34

It's not! It didn't occur to me that as soon as someone spilt a drink it would go under the glass and stain the maps hmm.

It looks more shabby shit than anything else now.

squoosh Sun 05-May-13 23:17:32

I bet Cath Kidstons own home is an homage to concrete and stainless steel. She sits in her metal German chair, stroking her white cat, counting her millions and cackling like a loon.

Spero Sun 05-May-13 23:17:38

Someone pinned up a good poster at work a few weeks back - I Will Not Keep Calm and You Can Fuck Off. I had not realised but this was my mantra.

Triumphoveradversity Sun 05-May-13 23:17:53

We have four pieces of furniture that belonged to our Grandmothers, they are kept as they should be very dark oak.

I have never been on trend in my life.

Pantone363 Sun 05-May-13 23:19:52

Lol squoosh. I so hope that's true

Viviennemary Sun 05-May-13 23:19:55

Hate to admit it but I quite like this stuff in moderation. Not keen on cupcakes though. Awful things.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now