To be utterly utterly bored with vintage shabby chic cath kidston letters on the wall boringness...

(404 Posts)
Pantone363 Sun 05-May-13 22:08:40

3 friends at lunch all had Cath Kidston handbags with matching purses. We passed at least 4 shabby chic shops all replete with spotty tablecloths, rose print cases and wooden letters spelling out "home" "love" "wow" (thanks Kirsty).

It's IMPOSSIBLE to find cheap secondhand furniture (because I am poor) because its all been bought by people sanding, throwing on a coat of Farrow and Ball, artfully sanding it down again and flogging a chair for £200.

I've been on TWO vintage glam hen dos this year.

I'm sick of fucking cupcakes on flowery cardboard cake tiers.

Please tell me I'm not BU. it's the new twigs in cases isn't it?

bettycocker Tue 07-May-13 19:05:31

Meant to say DP doesn't dig that kind of shit. Friend does and she lives on her own.

moondog Tue 07-May-13 19:16:25

I think a home is nice if it is full of things you love that mean something to you. That's why homes can be horrid at either end of the spectrum when they are filled for the sake of it, be it with tat from Next and Matalan or very expensive stuff by an interior designer.

I remember going to someone's house and the woman telling me proudly that they had bought the kitchen exactly as it was in the showroom (ie with all the accessories)

bettycocker Tue 07-May-13 19:26:08

For some reason I don't really like to have loads of matching stuff. I'm not keen on the kind of decor that looks as though you have gone out and bought everything all at once and where everything is coordinated.

aldiwhore Tue 07-May-13 19:32:21

YANBU and I am one of those bastards who seeks a cheap/free item to upcycle and make look lovely, but I don't sell my stuff generally, I'm just too skint to afford sparkly new... however, if some idiot wants to give me £400 for my distressed drawers, I'll not turn it down.

I feel your pain, Pantone, because theirs lots of traders in charity shops and it means finding a crazy 2 nd hand bargain is harder than ever.

But I will keep re-varnishing, remodelling, upcycling forever. (Though I agree about the Kath Kidston designs, too much too much, enough now).

LaQueen Tue 07-May-13 20:09:12

"I remember going to someone's house and the woman telling me proudly that they had bought the kitchen exactly as it was in the showroom (ie with all the accessories)"

Our living room, is essentially an entire Laura Ashley room-set blush

If anyone's got the 2007/8 brochure, our living room is comprised of everything in their Paris (think it was called Paris) range, curtains, furniture, sofas...everything. We even bought the lamps that were in the room-set...Though I drew the line at any of the silver-leaf furniture.

It is very beautiful, and very restful...but, oddly is my least favourite room in the house. It looks too done.

moondog Tue 07-May-13 20:13:28

grin

redadmiralsinthegarden Tue 07-May-13 20:17:50

i have a theory that the current cupcake craze is indicative of the world we live in right now:
so much emphasis on superficial looks and banality, and yet nothing of any substance deep down.
it's a cupcake world, my friends.

ToysRLuv Tue 07-May-13 20:24:21

Can I tell you my pet hate?Even worse than a whole house kitted with Kidston?

Those series of canvas pictures of either random colourful things (flowers, beach huts etc.) or b&w things (such as sky scrapers) sold at Sainsbury's, Next, Argos, Homebase, etc. Somebody must like them and buy them. Who the hell? Why have random, soulless crap on the wall? At least put up your own pictures, they mean something to you (although, I also hate canvases made of family pictures, but possibly slightly less).

Betty, I wanted to do our early 60s ranch house (sprawling bungalow) in MCM but was outvoted by DH. Boo.

ToysRLuv Tue 07-May-13 20:33:10

LaQueen: you remind me: In 1990sh, dh painted the woodwork in his student house (owned together with his brother) in hideous dark green Laura Ashley paint on the recommendation of SIL. They had matching green curtains and carpet - I think.

I happen to love cupcakes and mine have substance! My fave are gingerbread ones with lemon curd filling.

ToysRLuv Tue 07-May-13 20:46:54

Spoony: Do you like the icing, though? Actually, by definition, is a cupcake not meant to be about 50/50 sickly icing and dry, boring cake? grin

moondog Tue 07-May-13 20:53:56

Fairycake is a much prettier description in any case than cupcake. I've never understood that, considering it is all tied up with being twee and girly.

redadmiralsinthegarden Tue 07-May-13 21:29:39

Spoony, glad your cupcakes have substance! it's the ones that, as Toys says, are all pretty pretty on top, but plain inside that I have a beef with!

My icing is not really sickly though (it was a flour based buttercream with lots of lemon rind in it) and there isn't a huge amount of it and my cake isn't boring or dry. Warning, frou frou cupcakes ahead, they were for my birthday tea with my friends and I got out lacy pretty things for the table and teacups and saucers. I live in America and wanted to make a proper English tea with scones and nice (non-American) tea for my friends who had never had one.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/215667_2052370068794_4291312_n.jpg

moondog Tue 07-May-13 22:35:28

They look lovely Spoony. Bet the Americans thought it was great. Afternoon tea is a wonderful thing.

thank you, and yes, I agree!

Pitmountainpony Wed 08-May-13 05:14:47

It may be a UK affection. In California you never see that stuff apart from at kids' parties in parks where it looks pretty lovely.
All about Eames chairs and Evelyn Ackerman wall hangings and all the high end Danish modernist designers.It looks pretty fabulous in the Mid century homes here too so maybe that polka dottey stuff also find its home in cute UK cottages. A relative of ours has it and she has a lovely home- just not to our taste. I think you can enjoy something for wat it is without it being your taste. I feel bad when i knock someone's taste as it does feel just that little snobby and superior, even though the impulse is there. Th etruth is they probably come in your home and think the same about your taste that you think is so uncliched.

((http://danishmodernla.com/))

Pitmountainpony Wed 08-May-13 05:15:50

http://danishmodernla.com/

Pitmountainpony Wed 08-May-13 05:16:12
ToysRLuv Wed 08-May-13 06:40:45

I wouldn't say anything to anyone's face. It's a question of taste, after all, and its all subjective.

But I KNOW that my taste is just miles better <preens>

SorrelForbes Wed 08-May-13 06:58:14

Our living room is decorated in Elephant's Breath, the sofas are pale grey linen, the carpet is off-white, the furniture is very pale grey...

LaQueen. I think I'm your decorating twin. You have described my sitting room!

RooneyMara Wed 08-May-13 07:31:15

I suddenly realised yesterday evening, that I do have some big old letters on the shelf. They came out of a skip about 8 years ago.

I don't know whether there were more that I missed but the only two I pulled out say 'KY' and are the right colour for that iyswim>?

They used to light up, but are broken inside sad

I keep forgetting they are there. I have probably offended a few visitors already, my landlord did notice them one day and made some lewd comment.

Rather proud of those really.

EasyToEatTiger Wed 08-May-13 09:12:38

My letters say Stock Room. The other letters are the name of a factory and its address. Hmph. Yesterday I stripped woodchip off the walls. What is woodchip for???? Has it ever been fashionable? It lives as a light/life sucker, a parasitic wall covering. Magnolia is very very pink. Isn't it interesting that since the 90s, walls have gone from neutral pink to shades of grey with a hint of colour. I expect the colour will start seeping through again and will eventually get to kiddi primary colours before starting the cycle again.

We live with my mother in my childhood home. Mum NEVER willingly disposes of or replaces anything hmm so we have lots of Danish mid-century furniture and a set of 8 Eames swivel chairs bought by my parents in the 60s and 70s. We also have lots of brown wood furniture, dating from the late Georgian period to the 1940s, all bought for knockdown prices at auction during the early 60s when it was totally unfashionable, before my parents could afford the Danish teak and the leather sofas!

I can't stand Kath Kidston stuff. It's just a piss-poor rip-off of vintage Laura Ashley. For those of you who like the look, just google images of Laura Ashley discontinued wallpaper or fabric from the 1980s and you'll find some far prettier designs, many of which were copied from beautiful original 18th century prints in the V&A. You can still get discontinued wallpaper and fabric on eBay.

My old attic bedroom still has the most gorgeous Laura Ashley wallpaper from 1980, not floral, but a William Morris style Arts and Craftsy green swirly pattern. It's now DS (16)'s room, but he refuses to have it changed because it isn't particularly girly and he's known it all his life <weird offspring disclaimer>.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now