Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To think if you have an all day wedding you should have food before 9pm?

(380 Posts)
Buffetblues Sun 05-May-13 18:17:02

We've been invited to a wedding in August the invitation said that, despite the ceremony being at 1.30pm, there will be no food until the buffet at about 9pm?

AIBU to think that if you want to cut catering costs on your wedding day, you don't get married so early? It's seems really selfish to me to have an all day wedding with no food but I'd be quite happy if the service had been at say 4pm?

MegBusset Sun 05-May-13 18:31:36

Ok then I would just stop off for quick pub lunch or picnic between church and venue.

ProfYaffle Sun 05-May-13 18:32:04

If there's nothing to do between 4 and 8pm it should be relatively easy to disappear for an hour or so and get a meal either at the venue or a local pub/chippy whatever.

Tis a bit odd though confused

Buffetblues Sun 05-May-13 18:32:56

mrspaddy that's what I think, it's all just so selfish. They want a huge wedding on a shoestring budget. I think you should have the size of wedding you can afford and invite only those guests you can afford to cater for or amend your plans so it's not an all day affair.

csmm Sun 05-May-13 18:34:07

I was at a wedding a few years ago where the ceremony and reception were in the same venue. The couple were on a tight budget so opted for the cheapest option available. Service was at 1.30 and there was a buffet at half 6 - about 2 potato wedges and a chicken wing per guest. It was very, very messy...

Buffetblues Sun 05-May-13 18:35:24

Can't really slope off as our absence would be noticed!

CSIJanner Sun 05-May-13 18:36:25

You could be really cheeky and get pizza delivered I suppose.

StuntGirl Sun 05-May-13 18:37:04

Well tough for them really, they're the ones expecting you all to stand around hungry and twiddling your thumbs for several hours!

LimitedEditionLady Sun 05-May-13 18:37:35

Not trying to offend but its their wedding and thats what they want to do and theyll have their own reasons for doing that.theyve told people beforehand so its not like people dont know.to be honest i would be upset if it ws my wedding and people complained when theyd been invited to a special day that had cost thousands of pounds,its an honour to be invited to someones wedding,yeah its a while but its not something id be annoyed about.

ChaoticTranquility Sun 05-May-13 18:38:26

YANBU

A friend of mine got married at 1pm and they served the meal at 5pm and that was long enough to wait, 9pm is ridiculous.

BreasticlesNTesticles Sun 05-May-13 18:39:40

The best wedding celebrations are where you can get a drink and there is plenty of food.

The worst are where you are hungry and thirsty.

IM drunk and gluttonous O

csmm Sun 05-May-13 18:40:01

Should have said - agree with the suggestion that you could slip away and get something in the afternoon. Or it'd be too long a day. But if you're close to the couple I don't think the timing of food service is reason enough not to go to the wedding

IHateSafeStyle Sun 05-May-13 18:40:16

I suggest grabbing some pizzas on the way to the venue, get extras and sell them in the car park too

Buffetblues Sun 05-May-13 18:41:22

That's the point though limited it hasn't cost thousands of pounds, it's been done on the cheap. It's not an honour when you are only invited to keep the costs down- its a fixed cost affair so the more that attend, the cheaper per head the buffet is (and the less food there is for everyone) and the more presents the bride and groom get!

2rebecca Germany Sun 05-May-13 18:41:50

I would just say "sorry but I'm starving so we're off for some food" if anyone commented. I'd get bored hanging around for that long anyway, the photos after the wedding always take hours so I'd just disappear straight after the service. If they ask where you went say "we went for something to eat".

Afraid I really don't think it as an "honour" to be invited to fast for about 9 hours!

Whilst I normally veer towards the "have the wedding you want" end of the spectrum, you can't not feed your guests for that length of time. It's just not on.

Sparklingbrook Sun 05-May-13 18:43:37

Why is the Reception an hour from the church?

Do like others have suggested and take a packed lunch.

ChaoticTranquility Sun 05-May-13 18:43:58

I don't get this attitude that it being someone's special day means they get to do what they want and sod the guests confused

If you invite people to attend your wedding then you take their needs into consideration and that includes feeding your guests, not expecting them to starve all day.

mrspaddy Sun 05-May-13 18:44:46

Totally agree.. if they really wanted their guests at their wedding they would provide a basic meal in the day. It wouldn't have to be overly fancy but a meal. They are doing this totally on the cheap.

BobblyGussets Sun 05-May-13 18:45:30

2rebecca has it. They planned it they way they wanted, you can tell the truth. They haven't provided enough food, soon enough, so it shouldn't be a shock when people say, "We are going off for something to eat". They are not being good hosts, or providing good hospitality.

LimitedEditionLady Sun 05-May-13 18:45:36

Well if i felt i wasnt invited because i was wanted then i wouldnt waste my money buying outfits,travelling and buying drinks there.id either not go or id make an excuse why i couldnt go until the evening near food time lol.maybe they have money troubles hun or they dont agree with spending thousands.

Buffetblues Sun 05-May-13 18:46:00

Dunno sparkling just another example of their mememe attitude- it's what they wanted!

MegBusset Sun 05-May-13 18:48:15

Just stop on the way to the venue

If anyone asks why you're half an hour late to the venue (which I doubt they would) just say "We stopped for a bite to eat"

No biggie

TidyDancer England Sun 05-May-13 18:48:19

If they have money troubles or don't believe in spending loads, they shouldn't try to have a big dramatic affair on a shoestring budget. The solution to financial difficulties with a wedding is not to make your guests incredibly uncomfortable.

LimitedEditionLady Sun 05-May-13 18:48:44

It is a honour to me dont care if its not for others.if the person isnt special to.you dont go until the night.you arent meant to be doing them a favour by going you ate meant to want to celebrate with them.if it means taking a sandwich in your bag then take a sandwich!!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now