To think if you have an all day wedding you should have food before 9pm?

(380 Posts)
Buffetblues Sun 05-May-13 18:17:02

We've been invited to a wedding in August the invitation said that, despite the ceremony being at 1.30pm, there will be no food until the buffet at about 9pm?

AIBU to think that if you want to cut catering costs on your wedding day, you don't get married so early? It's seems really selfish to me to have an all day wedding with no food but I'd be quite happy if the service had been at say 4pm?

FreedomOfTheTess Wed 08-May-13 11:41:39

Wow. YANBU.

For me, it isn't so much the food issue (easy to take a few sandwiches along or whatever), it's the fact you're meant to entertain yourselves for four hours until the reception starts. What an effing cheek!

snuffaluffagus Wed 08-May-13 12:05:37

The worst wedding I have been to was when we were afternoon/evening guests (they only had immediate family and a few friends at the tiny church and then for lunch). The majority of guests arrived at about 3. There was one glass of champagne during the speeches (which we all had to stand for) and then a pay bar, and a buffet at about 8 or 9, but by that time the main wedding guests were also hungry again so by the time we got to the buffet there was nothing left. Everyone was STARVING and there was nowhere to sit.

I don't think the OP would be as bothered if she didn't like the couple. In all her posts she is very concerned about what everyone else will think and how the couple will be viewed, treated and abandoned by other people. She has tried to drop hints, but the bride is impervious. I get a very strong sense that she doesn't want the couple to make a mistake that will have long lasting consequences.

Any single thing (eg having expensive bridal underwear instead of welcome drinks, having a reception at an inconvenient distance from the ceremony, asking for cash, having the ceremony at an awkward time) isn't enough to put you off a wedding, but deliberately choosing all of them with apparently no mitigating brilliance ("the food was late but there was so much and it was so good I thought DH would have to roll me home") is asking a lot of people who, as expat so succinctly says, don't really care that you're getting married.

MonkeyingAroundTown Thu 09-May-13 16:24:30

Are you going to go to what sounds like the wedding of the year? When is it actually? Looking forward to hearing what they actually have planned to keep guests entertained for the afternoon. I would be intrigued to go for sheer morbid curiosity more than anything! pack some food and drink and just try spend the minimum possible you can so this crappiest day ,which you will never get back ,won't cost you too much.

DeskPlanner Thu 09-May-13 17:54:06

Monkey, the wedding is at the end of August. It does sound brilliant. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now