Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to ask for a definition of load parenting, I am afraid I may be guilty of it.

(56 Posts)
honeytea Sun 05-May-13 09:49:24

Newish to motherhood (ds 4.5 months) I was wondering what load parenting means.

I sing lots to ds because sometimes it is the only way to avoid him screaming I chat to him lots and as a last ditch resort I have an app on my phone that plays classical music which always stops ds crying when we are out shopping.

All of these are load activities, does that mean I am load parenting and if so is it a terrible thing to do?

DogsAreEasierThanChildren Sun 05-May-13 13:44:44

Is it always showing off or is some of it thinking out loud so you don't chew your own arm off with boredom/at saying the same things over again? Someone up thread has an example about ducks: I was at the park this morning with DS, looking at a pair of very exotic ducks. I said something like, "Oh look at those funny ducks, I think they might be mandarin ducks", which might have sounded like pretentious parenting to some people. But I can't bear to converse all the time on the "Look! Ducks!" level. Talking slightly above DS's level keeps my brain if not engaged at least somewhere in the neighbourhood.

(DS looked and said "Chickens!" enthusiastically, so I've clearly got some way to go on the Loud Parenting front.)

WafflyVersatile Sun 05-May-13 13:46:05

You could at least get them ergonomic rucksacks or trunkis.

Bad mother, WFM. Bad mother. sad

What's "loud parenting" when you do it quietly?

DD (2.3) is very inquisitive, and it's not enough that it's a bird, flower, whatever... she wants to know what one. So I am one of those parents that will say "Look, it's a daffodil/blackbird/etc." and ask her if she can say it. But I don't do it at full volume.

WafflyVersatile Sun 05-May-13 13:47:20

Chickens is a good effort.

It's not just the noise level though; it's the way they make sure to look around smugly in order to make sure you've heard them. To see them in their natural habitat go to somewhere like Barefoot Books in Oxford on a Saturday. It's cringeworthy. I had no idea what a fucking Babyccino was but I can tell you that Jasper (real name) adores them. Not likes. Adores. Pshht.

Kafri Sun 05-May-13 17:21:06

this whole thread has made me giggle.

loved some of the examples but the best bit was the names. only because DH was originally supposed to be a Tarquin. thankfully he didnt become a Tarquin but that was the name MIL had chosen. he is soooo not a Tarquin.grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now