Dyson vacuum cleaner- built to fail?

(59 Posts)
FagEnds Sat 04-May-13 19:48:43

I have bught new filters and fixed the band on the dyson. It is absolutely useless. Absolutely useless. And it makes a horrible noise. The motor is doing something.

magimedi Sat 04-May-13 19:55:08

YANBU - I was So happy when my dyson died.

IneedAyoniNickname Sat 04-May-13 19:56:57

I hated my Dyson! But admiting that fires down like a lead balloon in rl

Jinty64 Sat 04-May-13 19:58:29

I have two and I love them!

Footface Sat 04-May-13 19:58:33

Why do you hate your dysons

Queenmarigold Sat 04-May-13 20:01:08

I've had mine for 13 yrs . Got it fixed a few yrs ago n the engineer told me they are now made abroad and nowhere near as good as my ancient one. Never sure whether to believe stories like that tho...

ParadiseChick Sat 04-May-13 20:02:42

Over engineered shite. Can't beat a henry!

thebeastandbeauty Sat 04-May-13 20:03:13

Hated mine. I had to do a Basil Fawlty to kill it in the end.

It just couldn't pick up dog hair of the rugs.

I have a Miele Cat and Dog now, it's AMAZING. A million times more effective than the Dyson.

FagEnds Sat 04-May-13 20:09:29

This thing couldn't pick up a ball of dog hair that would have been shlooped by the feeblest sucker.

Spidermama Sat 04-May-13 20:11:55

I just got one and my house has never been cleaner. I love it so much. I had a Henry before which just doesn't have the same sucking power. I love all the nozzles the Dyson has too. I hoover my amp, mixer, bookshelves - It's like magic.

BirdTableBertie Sat 04-May-13 20:57:16

As a man I have to say that the Dyson Ball Cleaner does no such thing

catsmother Sat 04-May-13 20:59:54

I have to admit I luffs my Dyson - it's the animal ball thingy one and has always picked up cat hair really effectively. Previously, none of the other makes I tried did - I used to have to get on my hands and knees and effectively "scrub" the carpet with the tube to suck it up. Have had no problems with it at all in about 7 years.

sillyoldfool Sat 04-May-13 21:00:17

My hand held dyson is more powerful than the henry we got rid of to get a full sized dyson!

HollyBerryBush Sat 04-May-13 21:06:28

I love my Dyson ....so much I could marry it... provided you keep it clean, it'll be fine.

I'm lost with the 'changing' filters? you wash them once a week and shove the insides through the dishwasher.

TheseFoolishThings Sat 04-May-13 21:08:48

grin and double grin @ BirdTableBertie grin

zukiecat Sat 04-May-13 21:11:52

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

landofsoapandglory Sat 04-May-13 21:14:25

We've had 3 Dysons. We've not long since got rid of our DCO2 that was 16 years old. DH used it for the car, but the suction was going, so he now has our old Animal cylinder one, that is 9years old and we have a new upright one.

We love ours, we've never had a problem with them. We wash the filters, wash out the dust collector thing and DH cleans the brush.

Arf @Birdtable grin

Methe Sat 04-May-13 21:17:04

I divorced my dyson and married Henry. Dyson was a useless piece of junk.

NatashaBee Sat 04-May-13 21:18:49

Which bits can you put through the dishwasher?

Dogsmom Sat 04-May-13 21:21:24

Oi, don't diss the Dyson.

My first was years ago and he sadly died after 8 years together after being mauled by a gsd, I then dallied with 5 different types in between but each one only lasted a few months and so last year went back to the trusty Dyson and he's great, still lifts the carpet everyday with super sucky strength.

Permanentlyexhausted Sat 04-May-13 21:35:17

My original Dyson is looking a little worse for wear but, try as I might, I cannot get the bloody thing to die. In the end I gave up trying to justify buying a new one on the basis the old one had died, and just bought a new one anyway. So now I have two. One for mucky jobs and one for my nice carpets.

ThingsThatMakeYouGoHmmmmmmmmm Sat 04-May-13 21:36:30

Oooh -Henry extra, do tell Zukie.......

Bingdweller Sat 04-May-13 21:37:59

You need a SEBO. They are bloody marvellous & are the vacuum of choice in Buckingham Palace don't you know grin

Paintingrainbowskies Sat 04-May-13 21:38:32

YANBU, mine is 7 years old and crap, currently find it works best using the hose only which takes forever! I loved it when I got it.

Dying to get a Henry but hubby won't let me till the dyson dies.

Permanentlyexhausted Sat 04-May-13 21:41:20

I'll add that my original Dyson was second-hand to me and I've had it 10 years now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now