Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

AIBU to have a full time nanny if I have a 3rd child, and for that to be a condition of having a 3rd?

(92 Posts)
TattyDevine Sat 04-May-13 18:33:19

Curious what others think.

On the face of it, I know it makes me sound like a decadent cow, which is not the end of the world.

But here's the history - I have 2 children, aged 3 and 5, love them to bits, a boy and a girl (irrelevant). I had 2 bloody awful pregnancies; pre-eclampsia with both, and placenta praevia with the 2nd. I would be having a C-section if I were to have any more babies. Barely slept for the past 3 months of each pregnancy - in fact it was sweet relief when each newborn arrived, even if they fed 3 times in the night I was still getting better quality sleep than in pregnancy!

I come from a family of 2 children, a boy and a girl, just under 2 years apart. I have basically replicated what my mother did, so it feels complete and right for me. If there were nobody else to consider, I probably wouldn't be thinking about having any more children.

My DH, who is the most wonderful loving father and excellent husband, doesn't feel the family is complete. He came from a family of 3 kids (irrelevant?) and both his sisters had 3 kids (irrelevant?) so perhaps he feels he just hasn't ticked that last box. He absolutely loves babies and children.

However. He doesn't have to carry them, something I wasn't terribly "good" at, and he doesn't have to do the majority of care - he is in a Directors role in the City and with that comes long hours, regular travel, etc etc. This is not going to change nor do I particularly want it to, its how we roll.

The thought of going back to "babyland" - nappies, night feeds, weaning, lugging them about, pushchairs, and everything up till about age 2 where they can do some preschool and reliably walk/run and stop plastering weetabix on the wall...it makes me feel TIRED. But it doesn't mean I don't want a 3rd child - if I could fast forward pregnancy and that first stage I know I would never regret it. I know you can't fast forward it, but how about make it as easy as possible?

A Nanny to either do the school run for the 1st 2 children whilst I lay in bed with the baby in the morning, who can then take the baby if I want to pop out or take it to a baby group or something whilst I get on with some housework or a leisure activity, then maybe have the baby whilst I do the afternoon school run, help with dinner pandemonium and all that malarkey, and leave at 5 with 2 fed older children and a bathed baby...that, I could do.

We can afford it. Husband has said "sure, no worries" - he just wants that 3rd child. Who am I to deny him? Is he wrong for wanting it so much when it is such a hard couple of years for me (whereas he's back at work in 2 weeks and apart from some disturbances at night and changes to the weekend routine...

AIBU? Sorry a bit long, didn't want to leave something majorly relevant out and dripfeed...

wreckitralph Sun 05-May-13 00:58:31

FYI my DH won't agree to a 3rd baby. We had a lot of stress with no.2 pregnancy and he says "he can't go through all that again" like he was the one with the troubled pregnancy!!!!! I would love to have a 3rd but he said NO.

Instead he has agreed that I can get a dog hmm That will be my 3rd baby.

Disappearing Sun 05-May-13 01:08:50

YANBU, that sounds like a great plan.

My mum has told me she regrets not having more than 2 kids, she also told me I was a PITA as a baby. Personally I'm happy with just 2 DC, because I know my limitations, and I'm not in the position where a nanny would be an option. However if I could have a third child who arrived as a happy 2yo then I would do so.

How about getting a housekeeper rather than nanny though, but make the role flexible so that your employee could do a bit of dropping off and picking up also?

stopgap Sun 05-May-13 01:18:36

I only have one toddler DC, but have already said that I'd like a "mother's helper" for the second, as we have no family close by, and I developed an autoimmune condition after my first pregnancy, which still plays up from time to time, and I'm sure would play up tremendously after having another child. So no, I don't think YABU in the least.

I do like my privacy, though, hence I'd prefer a mother's helper for five hours a day, say, rather than someone under my feet the whole time.

CheerfulYank Sun 05-May-13 02:35:32

Afru don't worry, I quoted the same Gwyneth article further up grin

RainbowSpiral Sun 05-May-13 10:24:41

I'd only agree to have a third child if you want a thrid pregnancy and baby and can manage on the nanny's day off.

Maggie111 Sun 05-May-13 10:33:06

I think a nanny is an excellent idea! Sod all the guilt about having one - why not?! If you were a high flying exec you'd need a PA. Why not have some help when you can afford it and know that it will give your family what they want.

firesideskirt Sun 05-May-13 12:44:50

I've got 3 and would recommend a nanny/housekeeper or a mother's help. Any of those can safely do a school run or an activity class as well as making your home and laundry clean and tidy. I am a big fan of lots of help but would not want someone who was paid to do the fun stuff with the kids while I did housework/tidying up. If you don't work yourself I would say you want someone very flexible. It may be a bit cheaper as well. Unless you already have a housekeeper that is...

Nanny, cleaner, gardener and cook.
At the very least wink
Go for it.

Ikeameatballs Sun 05-May-13 13:06:53

I would, as Dozer has said and other think about the health stuff too.

I would definitely want a pre-natal meeting with your obstetrician around the risks of pre-eclampsia and placenta praevia in your third pregnancy. I had this after PE and HELLP syndrome with dd and it conformed to me that I wanted another pregnancy (which was fine) but I would really reccommend getting a clear idea of the risks in this case.

I would also think carefully about other health issues, increased risk of twins and disabilty eg Downs syndrome, consequences of a prem birth if likely due to PE and PP.

Bonsoir Sun 05-May-13 13:09:30

Absolutely! It sounds as if a FT nanny, to whom you could delegate all the things you don't want to do, would be the right compromise here.

i have done exactly this.

pm me if you like.

Ikeameatballs Sun 05-May-13 13:14:43

Sorry for bizarre spellings

issimma Sun 05-May-13 13:15:13

Do it!

Mnetter111 Sun 05-May-13 13:54:42

It's clear most mums know what you mean about the baby phase, I found this the hardest bit and as you say, pg is an awful nightmare for you too. Am also quite indecisive, if you are happy to get out on your own for some of the day, dh is happy for you to get a nanny then yanbu, even if circs changed and you needed to cutback the baby would likely be older.

noviceoftheday Sun 05-May-13 14:40:06

Tatty, I am also crap at pregnancies and just getting to 2nd birthday with dc2 who is not a fan of sleep. Dh and I are work full time in demanding jobs and so have spent most of the last 2 years exhausted. With the pregnancy, it's been a hard almost 3 years but there are chinks of light in the tunnel. However, we are still contemplating a third dc. I am 40 (dc1 at 36, dc2 at 38) though so feel I need to make up my mind this year. I already have a nanny. This thread has been interesting for me to read as I am also torn.

my advice is that as you can afford it, a nanny with dc3 (if you have them) would be a no brainier decision for me. Good luck!

TattyDevine Sun 05-May-13 16:13:04

I just needs loads of staff don't I! Can just lie there bearing offspring then (lol) hmmm...yes though, lots of you have said you'd never regret it.

Fact is, once they are there, you just get on with it...

TattyDevine Sun 05-May-13 16:14:35

*need a load

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now