Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

antenatal baby scans on facebook

(68 Posts)
FagEnds Sat 04-May-13 18:07:17

I'm not sure I want to see pictures of someone's innards on facebook. A bit too much information?

DevonCiderPunk Sun 05-May-13 00:29:03

Ah RaspberryRuffle I hadn't thought of the TTC angle. You're right there. Although I have had a fair few FB friends, who were TTC for many years, post scan pictures when they were expecting at long last...

thisonehasalittlecar Sun 05-May-13 00:31:13

I didn't do it but I did show my scans to my family and close friends in person; I don't think it's that different doing it online unless you are 'friends' with 800,000 strangers, in which case it would be a bit like having it enlarged and pasted on a billboard in your hometown. Which would be odd.

'In person' only works if you all live in the same town.

I love seeing these pictures. They make me feel I'm more in touch with relatives and friends living on the other side of the world and they give me a chance to share that I'm excited.

If you don't like it, don't look. But since people share these pictures in a sense of excitement, it does seem rather unnecessary and unpleasant to have a go at them for it, I think?

Ericaequites Sun 05-May-13 05:19:26

I don't feel I should see baby pictures until the baby is entirely outside the mother's body. Note: I am childless by choice.
On the other hand, I feel all thirteen year olds should see the Lamaze movie. Seeing how a baby is born might make them think about the consequences of sex.

BrianCoxandTheTempleofDOOM Sun 05-May-13 05:32:21

delete the friends then.

Bastards. Being happy and excited - utter bastards.

I would hope, of the people on my FB, anybody sneering at my scan pic and subsequent newborn pics (one of which was of DS minutes old) that they would delete me, I share pics with my loved ones and enjoy seeing their varied pictures and updates.

Sneery fuckers please, please, hit the un-friend (or whatever it's called) button! grin

edwardsmum11 Sun 05-May-13 06:22:29

I have to admit I put mine up but I waited 8 yrs for my son and knew some people would know the significance.

Kafri Sun 05-May-13 06:26:56

what the bloody hell does it matter? I see many a picture on fb that im not overly interested in - nights out/those 'inspirational' pics etc. I have a clever little thing on my computer called a mouse! it allows me to scroll past the things I'm not too bothered about and click for a closer look at the things that interest me. have a look OP - you might have one too! grin

nicelyneurotic Sun 05-May-13 07:49:51

Ahh, I love seeing new baby scans, it's sweet and a nice way to tell people the news. You don't see anything gross, just a tiny baby on a black background. YABU!

IncrediblePhatTheInnkeepersCat Sun 05-May-13 08:03:24

YABU

I like seeing the scan pics and my family and friends' baby/child photos, especially when I don't see them often.

I posted my scan pics as I wanted to share my excitement with my loved ones. Sometimes I think that a couple of my friends (who don't like children full stop) must think that I post too many (a couple a week roughly), but they can always scroll past, hide my posts, or defriend me if they are that bothered.

Other friends and family comment that it is lovely to see them as they change so quickly and they feel they can share it. And yes, this includes scan pics.

meganorks Sun 05-May-13 08:13:48

Yabu. A scan is something you would usually show people. So why not put on Facebook. Sure a lot people don't care but at least it has bit more interest that yet another picture of what someone is having for dinner!

YABU. And I hope I don't know you irl as i would hate to think of any of my friends/family sneering at my scan/newborn pictures on Facebook. Fwiw, I live literally on the other side of the world from my entire family, and all my friends, and many have commented on how much they enjoyed seeing scan/newborn pics, as I now have two ds's that none of them have met. Hopefully if any of them feel as you do, then they'll do the sensible think and unfriend me.

Ps, if you can make out any actual organs on a scan picture then you've got better eyesight than me.

everythinghippie29 Sun 05-May-13 08:30:47

I live quite far from my friends and family so will likely post my first scan picture so they can feel more involved in the pregnancy. If people don't like it they can always de-friend. I can see your point about it being overshary, but I see lots on FB and practically its easier way to share my happy news with the people I love! Will not be having it as my profile pic however, and will have privacy settings for just close friends and family. smile

HairyWorm Sun 05-May-13 08:59:00

I was the one of those people TTC having MCs and watching friends post scan pictures on fb. It smarted but I certainly didn't begrudge them or think they shouldn't post.

I posted my 12 and 20 week scans and if that offends any friends on facebook for being TMI (so that they feel the need to go and write on a forum about it) then I really think they should get a life in the real world and take a close look at how important fb is to their existence. or just foff and unfriend me

I can't see why someone would be so joyless as to have an issue with scan pics.

MummytoKatie Sun 05-May-13 09:00:22

I must have two many doctor friends. Who post genuine 'innards" pictures. Baby scans are nice.

MummytoKatie Sun 05-May-13 09:00:42

Too!

Justaperfectday Sun 05-May-13 09:08:02

Fb is for sharing with friends, why wouldn't someone want to share their scan pic - yabu and a miserable fucker wink

CabbageLeaves Sun 05-May-13 09:08:07

Baby scans are not scans of a baby...not innards. I love seeing people's joy.

There is such a whole snobbery around FB nowadays. Live and let live. Or defriend.

Whilst I have one FB acquaintance who drives me nuts with her both indiscreet and indiscriminate posting (row with family member followed by a description of the cup of tea she is drinking...) I can quickly flick on. I could defriend but frankly it's not what I wish to do. I smile because its an irritating, but known quirk for a friend.

I have few FB friends (<100) and enjoy the variety in their posts. Maybe if all my friends did post like her I'd get annoyed. Perhaps time to look at your friendship group or your own life as a whole to see why this gets to you.

ananikifo Sun 05-May-13 13:52:32

For everyone saying defriend: It is possible to hide someone's posts on your newsfeed, without defriending them. Your friend is not informed that you hid them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now