antenatal baby scans on facebook

(68 Posts)
FagEnds Sat 04-May-13 18:07:17

I'm not sure I want to see pictures of someone's innards on facebook. A bit too much information?

Raspberrysorbet Sat 04-May-13 20:19:54

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

HeffalumpTheFlump Sat 04-May-13 20:21:04

YABU I have loved seeing my friends scan photos on fb and posted my own. I only have actual friends and family on my fb so no one I wouldn't want to see it anyway. My profile is set on the strictest privacy settings so no one else can access my photos. If they bother you don't look at them.

Blowninonabreeze Sat 04-May-13 20:22:47

Medic friend of mine posted a picture of his obstructed small bowel (taken during surgery) on Facebook...

A few days later it was his son's birthday, so you're happily flicking through pictures of his son's birthday cake and suddenly come across an operating table.

That truly is innards!

thezebrawearspurple Sat 04-May-13 20:31:00

I love the 4D ones, yabu.

Jewcy Sat 04-May-13 20:36:37

I am soon to fly to the Czech Republic for donor egg IVF. I am a childless hag of (almost) 42. If I am blessed with a baby I think I'll sprint down the M6 screaming the news..hmm

maddening Sat 04-May-13 20:42:20

a v graphic representation of someone's insides would be a photo of a person perhaps during surgery with their innards splayed out - a scan is not extremely graphic in detail.

Percephone Sat 04-May-13 20:44:28

My DH put my scan picture on Facebook (and tagged me in it) without checking it was ok with me first angry

squoosh Sat 04-May-13 20:44:35

Good luck Jewcy!

maddening Sat 04-May-13 20:45:20

ps why have fb friends who you only know by name? Perhaps change settings so your primary friends feed to your newsfeed?

propertyNIGHTmareBEFOREXMAS Sat 04-May-13 20:46:20

I'd just be happy for the person involved. Delete her if you can't find any interest in her happy news.

I put my 20 week scan pic up and my friends and family loved seeing it. I only have friends and family on facebook -- ie people who are happy to share my happy news.

AdmiralData Sat 04-May-13 21:12:56

I don't mind people posting their photos of their unborn/newborn babies on Facebook what does bother me is people slagging me off for not wanting my Boo plastered all over the net. Apparently that makes me a bad mum :D YANBU.

SorryMyLollipop Sat 04-May-13 21:19:12

After 11 yrs of infertility/TTC I will be posting my 12 week scan pics all over the place. I have a select group of true friends on FB who I am sure will all be shocked and delighted for me smile

squoosh Sat 04-May-13 21:22:47

Aw I'm delighted for you Lollipop. Congrats!

CloudsAndTrees Sat 04-May-13 21:25:22

I like seeing people happy about their pregnancy and their babies on Facebook, it's nice when people are happy about things and want to share.

LittlePeaPod Sat 04-May-13 21:49:18

YANBU, I think its a bit strange but that's because I wouldn't do it myself.. I generally remove future posts from said people from appearing on my notification page.. Problem solved...

Kyrptonite Sat 04-May-13 21:56:12

I've refrained from posting mine. I did however take a picture of a letter DSD had written to her friend saying I have a baby brother in Kyrpt's tummy.
That way only people who bothered to properly look at the picture would know.

Kyrptonite Sat 04-May-13 22:45:00

I have just realised this might have been a bit twee blush

Fluffypinkcoat Sat 04-May-13 23:23:55

I like seeing people's scan pictures. I feel happy for them that they are so excited that they want to share it with everyone.

Arisbottle Sat 04-May-13 23:27:57

They are just trying to share their joy at being pregnant. Why would you judge a friend for being excited about being pregnant ?

We are TTC after a miscarriage , when I fall pregnant and remain pregnant I may post my scan photos , thankfully my friends are not judgemental nobs and they will share my joy, rather than sneering at me.

ananikifo Sat 04-May-13 23:36:08

People post so much unnecessary information on Facebook, but sonograms are nice. YABU.

GreyWhites Sat 04-May-13 23:56:52

I personally didn't want to, but I don't mind if other people do. I love seeing other people's tiny scan pics, I think they're cute. If you're feeling angry about it or disgusted by it, maybe this says more about you than about them?

IneedAsockamnesty Sun 05-May-13 00:06:55

Yabu.

Its not a graphic or gory image of a operation or something nasty and whilst I wouldn't do it myself its not a abnormal or offensive thing to do.

eBay sell grips,you need one.

DevonCiderPunk Sun 05-May-13 00:11:30

YABU. Scan pictures are one of the happier things to be found on Facebook. I love to see a friend's scan pictures; if it offends you, simply de-friend anyone who wants to share their baby scan with you.

...and I've never even noticed the "innards" on a scan picture! I suppose a frame of uterus is there, but the baby is the focus of the picture.

RaspberryRuffle Sun 05-May-13 00:19:23

I'm with the OP, I just don't like seeing scan pics or just emerged babies...I'm happy for them but don't see the need for such intimate parts of your life (hopefully not body) on FB.
I see the suggestion of defriending people who do this, tbh I wouldn't defriend someone I know is pregnant in case it upset them. That's not saying they give a hoot about whether I'm their friend, I just think the people who dopost scan pics etc tend to be the more avid FB users who would notice such a thing and I think it's a bit mean. But I still don't like the pics.
Also one of my friends just shut her FB account as she's been TTC for ages and was fed up of all those pics, our group of friends from school seem to be all having babies right now, I think it is quite painful to be reminded all the time taht lots of the other girls have what she really longs for.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now