to think being blonde, tall and slim doesn't automatically mean you are beautiful?

(115 Posts)
oharna Sat 04-May-13 15:34:50

(Not saying that anyone who is any of those things is in any way ugly btw)

However I was reading the "do you think you're pretty thread" and quite a few responses were along the lines of "yes because...."

"I am tall and slim" or "I had waist length blonde hair"

I don't think any of these things automatically mean you are beautiful.

Marcia Cross is a redhead. Melissa McCarthy isn't slim. Mila Kunis is only 5ft4. All these women are beautiful (imo) and despite some not being tall, blonde or slim.

Lweji Sat 04-May-13 16:36:43

I'd take that thread in the spirit that we are all beautiful/pretty.
And an invitation to share what we think makes us beautiful.
smile

EmmaBemma Sat 04-May-13 16:41:49

Very true, OP, very true. For example I'm tall and slim but I have a face like a bag of spanners. Erm, is that the sort of response you were looking for?

ENormaSnob Sat 04-May-13 16:43:08

I am a bit of a twat tbh.

A pretty one though.

It's not something I would discuss irl though. Not something I dwell upon, or even think about usually.

And I'm far from blonde, slim and tall therefore I feel Yanbu.

lookingfoxy Sat 04-May-13 16:43:15

I'm tall and slim but that's just genetics my legs are too thin and I have no hips, so bodily I would love to be a few inches shorter with more curves. I'm blonde because the highlights blend well with the grey. I look like shit in the mornings without my hair and make up done.
I'm envious of 'normal'.
Id love to put on some weight and it goes to my bum but instead it goes round my middle and I just look like a barrel with skinny overlong limbs hanging from it. Yip pure glamour city here lol.

uncongenial Sat 04-May-13 16:43:53

Oh I couldn't be a hair model now, either! Years of abuse with styling tools and the like have ensured that.

KittensandKids Sat 04-May-13 16:45:43

Umm I am 5'8 have blonde highlights, I have okay skin, am a size 12 and am not on the other thread.

I agree fwiw.

oharna Sat 04-May-13 16:48:44

i was the person on that thread who boasted about my waist length blonde hair.dont give a fuck what you say-my hair was beautiful. i used to get ALOT of comments on it.then i had chemo and lost it all.i am still attractive though

Well you've kind of proven my point really ... you say you are still attractive despite not having waist length blonde hair, therefore it wasn't your hair that made you attractive in the first place.

Stating you have blonde hair doesn't automatically mean you are the most beautiful woman in the world.

LadyBeagleEyes Sat 04-May-13 17:12:51

I'm always amazed on these threads how many people come on to say how beautiful they are.
It's like the 'do you look like a celebrity ones', everybody looks like Elle Macpherson or Angeline Jolie.
The only sleb I've been likened too was by my late mum who said I looked like Sally from Coronation Street sad
I had her bob at the time Mum was still compos mentis.
She's prettier than me though.

Ashoething Sat 04-May-13 17:12:59

i never claimed to be most beautiful women.my hair was one of my good points though and one i was complimented on.why are you a twat if you have self confidence or make the most of yourself?

oharna Sat 04-May-13 17:15:24

And the last sentence wasn't aimed directly at you, as I know you never stated that.

And I never called anyone a twat.

RhondaJean Sat 04-May-13 17:19:21

I know plenty of tall slim blonde women with faces like hatchets / frying pans.

And to me it's facial features which cause real beauty. That and personality/ spark shining through. I don't like insipid beauty either - cannot believe gwyneth Paltrow was voted most beautiful. Really? She's slim and blonde but honestly nothing special...

LooseyMy Sat 04-May-13 17:21:42

According to this, only one of the world's "perfect" women has blonde hair... http://coolmemes.net/the-perfect-woman-does-exist/

idococktailshedoesbeer Sat 04-May-13 17:22:35

I'm equally mystified by the Gwynnie... many women could look as polished as her if they had the resources... I just don't see how she's naturally beautiful.

LooseyMy Sat 04-May-13 17:24:20

I also don't think being tall makes you beautiful. I think smaller women look more petite and feminine and a lot of men prefer small(er) women.

BreasticlesNTesticles Sat 04-May-13 17:25:56

sparkling you know how pretty Emma is on tv? Well times it by 10000 and you get what she looks life in reality.

She eminates lumiosity not sure if that actually makes sense but you get my drift

Apologies if you know her and I now look like a nob.

My SIL is very tall and blonde and slim. Not pretty. However I would swap my aging pretty face for those legs.

LadyBeagleEyes Sat 04-May-13 17:26:02

Gwynnie is lovely but bland. She doesn't stand out at all for me.
But as they say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

No I don't know her Breasticles. sad How did you get to see her in RL? envy

MrsCampbellBlack Sat 04-May-13 17:29:35

I guess though that being tall is seen as preferable to being short, being slim is preferable to being fat and a lot of people dye their hair blonde.

So they are seen as 'attractive' features.

But you're right it doesn't make you beautiful or pretty.

Fefifo Sat 04-May-13 17:30:14

In my opinion being blonde certainly doesn't make you beautiful, but I'm not white so don't particularly relate to that model of beauty and to be honest, for me it's the most unattractive of hair colours. Tall or short would be neither here nor there to me really. I guess I do think being slim is more attractive, but then my idea of slim is probably a good few sizes bigger than some other people's. I don't think the tall, slim blonde look is particularly de rigour for a lot of people now and would guess that most of my female acquaintances would much prefer to look like a short, dark haired Salam Hayek type than an Elle McPherson.

oharna Sat 04-May-13 17:33:13

I don't know if this is quite a strange way of thinking but ...

MN seems to have a hatred of Barbie and what she stands for.

Yet a lot on that thread were stating they are beautiful because they are blonde, tall, slim.

Is that not a bit of a contradiction?

BreasticlesNTesticles Sat 04-May-13 17:35:39

sparkling I went to school with her and we have friends in common. Flawless skin. She was the girl who scratched her bum in the diet coke ad all those years ago.

The blonde hair thing is from youth isn't it, blonde hair is synonemous in white society as being a mark of being young. However, true blondes are actually very pale (I have a family of them) not the bronzed sun kissed timotei beauties portrayed to us in the media.

BreasticlesNTesticles Sat 04-May-13 17:37:06

That should say generally very pale.

squoosh Sat 04-May-13 17:38:30

Not a contradiction as there isn't a human woman alive who could ever have Barbie's physical proportions. Being anti Barbie isn't being anti blonde. That would be silly.

cantdoalgebra Sat 04-May-13 17:39:49

A few years ago, a tall blonde woman came to where I was working. I thought she looked as though she needed a good meal - she was very pale, hunched and thin. After a little while of observing her, (I was working on reception and had nothing better to do) I vaguely thought that if she bothered to try a bit harder with her appearance she might not look too bad. I later found out it was Claudia Schiffer...

LadyBeagleEyes Sat 04-May-13 17:43:12

I agree about Emma Willis, she has beautiful eyes too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now