AIBU to think stealing a trolley to wheel your child home is not on?

(42 Posts)
SodaStreamy Sat 04-May-13 13:25:58

Just passed a couple, dad pushing baby in buggy, mum pushing toddler in a Sainsbury's trolley.

One bag of shopping that the dad is holding in his hand so it's not like the trolley is full of shopping and borrowing the trolley was the only way to get it home.

I think it's bugging me as they are relatively far away from shop and I doubt they'll return it. There is a spate of abandoned trollies by me (only sainsbury's ones, no £1 for trolley) and they are really bugging me but I maybe irrationally so?

Would you steal a trolley to transport your child home?

MoominsYonisAreScary Mon 06-May-13 14:48:58

My dad was a manager of a small factory that made shopping trolleys, people nicking them kept the factory in business grin

But on a serious note maybe the child had hurt itself and they couldn't afford a taxi, maybe they were going to take it back.

livinginwonderland Mon 06-May-13 14:32:04

we used to do this at university. sainsbury's was the nearest supermarket and it was about a thirty minute walk from our accomodation. bus was £3, taxi closer to £7. the shop let us take them because we always brought them back on the next trip, or another flat of students did.

LittleMissLucy Sun 05-May-13 21:13:03

I'm mid 40s but I do have the spirit of a naughty 12 yr old sometimes. Apols. blush

Of course YANBU -
trolleys are purely for wheeling drunken studant partners home..........

NOT that I ever did this shock

Big Lump would have done my back in.

HullMum Sun 05-May-13 13:55:55

suspecting little miss Lucy is actually 12

SirChenjin Sun 05-May-13 09:02:17

And you've no proof this isn't a family who a) checked it was ok first and b) intend to return it later

<eye roll emoticon> Yeah, course that's what happened LittleMissLucy. I mean, obviously I don't have proof an' all, but I'm willing to bet that that's the bollocks that it sounds.

Kafri Sun 05-May-13 07:50:01

tgis thread made me think about an elderly lady I knew when my local supermarket got trolleys yiu pay a pound for.

well, she paid her pound for her trolley and did her shopping. then she took her shopping home in the trolley. it turned out that she thought she had bought the trolley! didn't realise she would get her pound back. grin

The supermarket chrome?

chrome100 Sun 05-May-13 06:48:32

It's a trolley. Who cares?

LittleMissLucy Sun 05-May-13 06:44:44

hahahaha so funny -if everyone took a trolley.As if. grin

HullMum Sun 05-May-13 05:10:42

O lighten up, the trolley ride for the kid is clearly for FUN. Remember that, anyone?And you've no proof this isn't a family who a) checked it was ok first and b) intend to return it later.

one, taking things that do not belong to you may be fun, but it's also called stealing.

and two, I'd be surprised if Tescos were like yeah "it's fun so go ahead and steal it"

and three even if you intend to return it at some point, it is still stealing. If everyone did it there would be no trolleys when you needed one. You don't get the option of borrowing it.

hmm

LittleMissLucy Sun 05-May-13 02:15:10

O lighten up, the trolley ride for the kid is clearly for FUN. Remember that, anyone?

And you've no proof this isn't a family who a) checked it was ok first and b) intend to return it later.

PurpleSwift Sun 05-May-13 02:07:01

The wheel stop things do work. Me and my mam did a huge shop at tesco once so decided to get a taxi home. My mam went over to talk to a taxi driver, and then waved me over with the trolley. I started to approach the taxi and the wheels stopped! Cue some daggers from my mam because she thought i was being a V awkward teenager and didn't want to push the trolley. Humph.

But annnnyway, OP, that is ridiculous!

BeyonceCastle Sun 05-May-13 00:48:47

I have left a deposit and my driving license to borrow a trolley before.
Now admittedly mine was due to overshopping with no way of getting it home otherwise but you are guessing/surmising that they are going to abandon the trolley when that might not be the case.

Floggingmolly Sat 04-May-13 23:24:59

If your child hurt himself at the supermarket; would your solution to his sudden inability to walk really be to push him home in a trolly? hmm

HullMum Sat 04-May-13 20:57:47

why would that be ok in your mind holly? confused

Sommink Sat 04-May-13 20:46:47

Loads of people where I used to live did this, there was a morrisons across the road, 2 minute walk but to drive round was about 10 (or people didnt have cars) so people walked out with trolleys a lot kept them to use next time but morrisons were really good, if you either rang or went in they sent people out round the area looking for trolleys that had been abandoned.

SirChenjin Sat 04-May-13 20:40:06

I'm willing to bet that a)the child hadn't hurt himself and was perfectly able to walk and b)the trolley will not be returned but will instead be left on the street for someone else to sort out.

I bloody hate seeing this - drives me mad. Pay for a taxi/buy a shopper/carry it home like we used to do.

andubelievedthat Sat 04-May-13 20:34:39

Rebels ,adult rebels training a little rebel ,in full view of the public , what is it all about /world coming too ? Sainsburys too !

AgnesBligg Sat 04-May-13 18:37:46

£45 complex

beggar's belief.

AgnesBligg Sat 04-May-13 18:36:30

It makes me want to actually scream when I see people doing this. Somebody make them stop!

complexnumber Sat 04-May-13 18:31:14

How much does each trolley cost?

D0oinMeCleanin Sat 04-May-13 18:19:10

We've taken trollies before, usually around x-mas time when we've been utterly unorganised and did our big shop only to find it will be three hours before we can get a taxi. Taking the trolley is often the only option if you can't drive/can't find/afford a taxi. DH We always return it at midnight the next day under the cover of darkness

SoleSource Sat 04-May-13 18:14:22

There might have been a very good reason.

VivaLeBeaver Sat 04-May-13 16:02:07

IME wheel stops don't work.

Disclaimer - I have never stolen a trolley.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now