to think the camera adds 10lbs?

(45 Posts)
AubreyMegan Sat 04-May-13 11:02:02

Ok so on a night out I'm looking in the full length mirror and I think I look ok, and then photos will get added from the night and I think omg am I seriously that big?!

A friend of mine was tagged in a recent photo and I'm not sure if it's the angle but she looks 2 sizes bigger than she does in RL. I see friend most weeks and she's a slim size 10.

aibu to think the camera really does add 10lbs?

BreasticlesNTesticles Sun 05-May-13 10:21:43

I thought you were supposed to tilt your head slightly down and look up to slim your face down? So head down chin out?

<remembers an evening of photographer friend trying to show a pissed me how to do this>

<remembers i looked like bruce forsyth>

Samu2 Sun 05-May-13 10:16:34

If your eyes look small don't look directly into the camera lens, especially if they have the flash on.

kelda Sun 05-May-13 09:45:37

I saw a TV chef last night in RL. Before you get excited, none of you will know him, unless you live in Belgium.

He looked very slim. On TV, he looks slightly chunky.

Very goodlooking thoughsmile

tiredemma Sun 05-May-13 09:43:57

I look fat in pictures.

But I also look fat in the mirror.....

cocolepew Sun 05-May-13 09:42:02

Cameras appear to give me little piggy eyes as well. They look like pissholes in the snow.
I used to be photogenic. Aging is a bastard.

Loulybelle Sun 05-May-13 09:33:57

Chicky, i dont have nice pictures either, online dating is a nightmare because of it.

chickydoo Sun 05-May-13 09:19:50

I look dreadful in photos.
I don't look fatter, but the camera accentuates the fact I am angular, and it makes me look like I have Brucies chin and the nose of the wicked witch of the west.
I am angular..... But not that bad in RL...
I don't have one nice picture. I look awful in every single one

VonHerrBurton Sun 05-May-13 09:12:26

But why just some people though?? It just seems to be me that doesn't look like me!

Will take your advice though, samu, thanks. Got a girls weekend coming up, the house we've booked has a pool and I fear photos may be necessary....sad

Loulybelle Sat 04-May-13 21:03:25

Strangely my eyes really stand out in pictures, i dont get the devil thing normally.

Samu2 Sat 04-May-13 20:56:28

I always look like I have a fat face too if I don't push my chin up and out.

I look like I have triple chins if not lol

Samu2 Sat 04-May-13 20:54:50

A few tips

Get the person to shoot slightly above you

Slightly lift your chin up and out

Never stand straight on, turn to the side a little and one foot in front of the other helps too

Hold you arms a little bit out from your side so they aren't flat against your body. Hands on hips can be slimming

There are loads of posing guides you can find on google to show you examples. These really do make a huge difference.

Piemother Sat 04-May-13 20:53:53

I saw Paloma faith in real life close up the other day. She is about a 6 . On the telly she looks (to me) about a 10 - 12.
So yes it must add weight

Loulybelle Sat 04-May-13 20:50:18

I look massive in photos, i look like i have a really fat face, which i dont.

ShellyBoobs Sat 04-May-13 20:47:41

It's fact that cameras make people look fatter.

If you look at a person against a background, with your own eyes (i.e. not on a screen or a printed image) you can see slightly more of the background than a camera can see. Therefore to the naked eye, the person looks narrower than they do through the camera.

It's because our eyes are spaced apart whereas a camera image is created through one central aperture.

I don't know if I've explained that very well; I've been drinking wine...

SugarPasteGreyhound Sat 04-May-13 19:36:53

I am always the person offering to take the pic. I look so horrible in photos. I cried when I got my wedding pics; they weren't tears of joy sad

FeralStreep Sat 04-May-13 19:19:05

Go on then, how should we hold ourselves?

Because at the moment I look best if I hold myself behind a massive brick wall...

Samu2 Sat 04-May-13 18:45:55

Von, it's not that people don't photograph well, some just have certain features that look more flattering in certain poses and lighting. Very few women look flattering straight on in photos, especially if the arms are by your sides.

My husband is a very handsome man but taking a photo of him straight on will exaggerate his sharp features and not look flattering. He has a long nose (not horribly long) if I take it straight on it looks really big, but a slight tilt of the head and it looks truer to real life.

I have photographed a very stunning young girl, she is gorgeous but I remember taking some of her in harsh lighting and she looked nothing as beautiful as she did IRL. I took her out another day in better lighting and the results were much better.

You can look just as awesome in photos as you do IRL if you know how to hold yourself for photos.

VonHerrBurton Sat 04-May-13 16:13:20

I really hope that it's true, not just a myth to make people feel better however I look fucking awful on most pictures. I will always offer to take the photos on any family/friend gatherings and hate it when I have to be in a photo.

The thing is, I don't look awful when I look in the mirror. People often comment on how good I look for my age in rl. So it's not me being negative about how I look, I'm not, I'm pleased when I look in the mirror.

Conversley, I have a particular friend who, whilst being attractive, looks absolutley STUNNING on photos, and my dh and ds look they way they do in rl confused

I just hope some people don't photograph well. My face always look really fat, my hair looks lank and my tits look 3 sizes bigger...

Rant over, soz!

Samu2 Sat 04-May-13 15:30:00

I am a photographer, the light and pose can either add 10 pounds or make you look slimmer.

In fact, I did a lot of training in how to make people look slimmer and how to NOT make them look like they have gained weight too, light and pose really can add 10 pounds.

SugarPasteGreyhound Sat 04-May-13 15:29:25

I used to think that the camera just shows the extra lbs that we are blind to. But I used to work with a girl who was tiny -ate like a piglet but was just naturally small framed with tiny hands and feet. She was a size 6, 8 absolute tops. I saw fb pics of her and she looked much bigger in them than she was IRL - it was not an accurate reflection of her body shape at all.

lottieandmia Sat 04-May-13 15:24:20

I think it's well known that people look bigger both in photos and on film, which is why celebs are all so obsessed with being thin.

AubreyMegan Sat 04-May-13 15:22:52

Yeah it just surprised me to see my friend who I would guess is a size 10 looking more like a size 14/16. When I only saw her a couple of days before and it didn't look like she'd gained any weight.

Meh. I'm obvs just in denial when it comes to me grin - I really am a size 8 .... it's the camera whos a liar.

I like that joke, cameras add 10 pounds. How many cameras are on you? In my case at least 2 3.

Saidar Sat 04-May-13 15:15:19

I'm with LeaveTheBastid.

The camera adds nothing, the cakes and pies on the other hand.....

ENormaSnob Sat 04-May-13 14:36:21

Yabu

They add about 28lb ime.

<in denial>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now