To ask if anyone can recommend a hotel in Bournemouth for a one night where I won't feel a freak being on my own

(39 Posts)
inkisbest Sat 04-May-13 09:26:09

going to visit a friend in Bournemouth in a couple of weeks - just going to be there Sat and Sun staying so need a hotel for Sat night - she suggests anywhere near the beach so it will be easy for the bus. We'll be out shopping and eating cake most of the time. Any thoughts? Under a £100 a night would be good.

HollyBerryBush Sat 04-May-13 21:59:52

If the OP isn't used to travelling alone and staying in a hotel alone, which to be fair are either full of couples or business people, I don't see why everyone is getting on her case for feeling apprehensive about her trip.

Fuckwittery Sat 04-May-13 22:06:09

It's fine to be apprehensive. The OP is worded pretty offensively to suggest women travelling alone are freaks. Does OP think other women are freaks when she sees them in a hotel alone, giggling over cake with a friend?

Leverette Sat 04-May-13 22:34:46

It's neither respectful nor helpful to be so derogatory towards someone with different life experience and feelings about something.

How do you know this OP hasn't had her confidence royally fucked by an abusive partner or parent?

TiggyD Sat 04-May-13 22:42:31

Maybe she was once bitten by Lenny Henry?

princesssmartypantss Sat 04-May-13 22:49:17

I too think central premier inn is a good option, well located and not as 'purple' as other premier inns has nice art deco feel. I stayed there on a sunday evening alone a few years back and felt fine being a solo traveller. Having travelled quite a bit alone, i think worst chain for feeling vulnerable is travelodge, especially exeter services as door locks didn't even seem secure, i checked out and changed hotels that night!

Snazzynewyear Sat 04-May-13 22:54:54

OP, I love staying in a hotel room on my own - do it probably a couple of times a year for work and it's great to have nice clean space that you can just spread out in, watch crap tv far into the night in etc. More people do it than you'd think. If you feel self-conscious about eating/drinking alone, take a book or magazine with you.

BibiBlocksberg Sat 04-May-13 23:18:14

I can highly recommend Fenn Lodge in Alum Chine - I worked there last summer and can vouch for its standards in cleanliness and customer service (nearly died keeping up in the heat of July lol)

The owners are wonderful and do all they can to make guests feel welcome, if you come away from there feeling like a freak for being a single traveller I'll eat my hat!

If you ask for room 4 or 9 you can watch foxes and badgers being visiting and being fed at dusk in the beautiful garden - I've seen it, it's magical!

Fuckwittery Sun 05-May-13 03:27:38

Leverette - why would that give the OP the right to think women on their own are freaks. She needs to come back and clarify, I'll accept she may have worded her OP unintentionally offensively, and I hope she admires women on their own, rather than thinking, what a freak, I'll look as 'freakish' in a few weeks time. At present, she has been offensive.

ll31 Sun 05-May-13 07:14:55

Weird attitude from op. Women staying in hotels on their own are freaks? Op, you should get out more.

BlackMini Sun 05-May-13 09:56:00

If OP hasn't stayed in a hotel alone before then it's natural to feel a bit daunted. She's obviously not meaning to offend so stoo getting your nickers in a twist over nothing.

FWIW, I've stayed in the Village in Bournemouth before and, whilst it was a bit out of town, it felt very safe and there was a bar and a restaurant to enjoy. Or, you could do what I did and run a bath and watch crappy tv all evening. Bliss.

MusicalEndorphins Sun 05-May-13 10:07:36

I imagine the OP means self conscious, and maybe feels she is silly feeling that way...and is poking fun at herself.

IamtheZombie Sun 05-May-13 10:20:01

Zombie stayed at the Royal Exeter a few weeks ago. It was great. It's a 5 minute walk from the pier and about 10 minutes walk through the Gardens to the Square. Check on laterooms.com as Zombie paid £47 per night B&B.

JenaiMorris Sun 05-May-13 10:25:49

Maybe she meant people rather than women.

If you don't work in hospitality or in a line where travel is commonplace perhaps you would think it strange that a person stayed alone at a hotel.

[shrugs]

Triumphoveradversity Sun 05-May-13 10:33:24

Friends mates B&B called The Yenton.
www.yentonhotel.co.uk/

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now