To ask if anyone can recommend a hotel in Bournemouth for a one night where I won't feel a freak being on my own

(39 Posts)
inkisbest Sat 04-May-13 09:26:09

going to visit a friend in Bournemouth in a couple of weeks - just going to be there Sat and Sun staying so need a hotel for Sat night - she suggests anywhere near the beach so it will be easy for the bus. We'll be out shopping and eating cake most of the time. Any thoughts? Under a £100 a night would be good.

squeakytoy Sat 04-May-13 09:52:25

look for a travelodge.. or just look on bookings.com

you will be out with your friend apart from when you are sleeping, so no reason for you to feel like a "freak".. confused as to why you would feel that way anyway..

TiggyD Sat 04-May-13 09:54:47

Just here to look at the freak.

shock

Carry on!

glastocat Sat 04-May-13 09:56:20

Why on earth would you feel like a freak?

TiggyD Sat 04-May-13 09:56:37

If you'll be out and about having fun why not go for a Travelodge/Premier/Ibis place? Cheap and soulless but it's not for long.

claremp7 Sat 04-May-13 10:11:09

We have some lovely b and bs down here. Much more homely.

inkisbest Sat 04-May-13 10:34:23

Freak here grin

Not used to travelling on my own, hence freak concern.

ReindeerBollocks Sat 04-May-13 10:48:09

We stayed in a not too upmarket hotel (britannia) which was really cheap and included breakfast. Lots of singles/families/couples. And two minutes from the beach.

I love Bournemouth, check out the museum just off the beach - its in a house which belonged to a really wealthy couple who allowed their home to be turned into a museum so showcase the things they'd picked up on their travels. It was just so lovely. Can't remember the name of it though.

Or take me with you if you don't want to go alone - I'll occupy myself grin

TheseFoolishThings Sat 04-May-13 10:49:33

You seriously perceive a woman travelling alone as a freak? Or expect to be perceived as such? Fuck me dead - there's no hope is there.

Triumphoveradversity Sat 04-May-13 10:50:27

I have stayed in the Premier in Bournemouth it is rammed with stag and hen night parties, never again. This prime time for them as well.

My mates mate owns a B&B in Bournemouth, I will see if I can find out the name as she has shown me pics and looks lovely.

Namechangingnorma Sat 04-May-13 10:51:27

blue marlin, lovely, clean b&b, highly reccomended on trip advisor and owned by two lovely gay man. Its fab

Namechangingnorma Sat 04-May-13 10:52:19

Plus much less than £100

MamaMumra Sat 04-May-13 10:53:44

I read the title as looking for a hotel in Bournemouth for a one night stand grin

I've stayed in hotels alone loads - you'll be fine smile

Mumsyblouse Sat 04-May-13 10:54:39

I travel quite a bit on my own, I don't think a woman on their own looks freakish at all, you just look like you are working/visiting someone (or have I not noticed how freakish I look?)

MamaMumra Sat 04-May-13 10:55:02

It will be good for you if you feel freaky travelling alone.
Do you think women who travel alone are freaks?

Cumberland Hotel is lovely - overlooks the beach

noodleone Sat 04-May-13 20:58:11

Reindeerbollocks do you mean the Russell Coates museum? Yes it's lovely. Any of the b and bs near the bic centre are fine and it's only for one night

Doubtfuldaphne Sat 04-May-13 21:27:24

We stayed st the Cumberland- I liked it as it was close to the beach and it was a pretty big traditional hotel with good breakfast but my dh didn't like it at all. He's more of a snob than me though!
You could try the Marriott also in eastcliff, it looks lovely.

SoleSource Sat 04-May-13 21:44:08

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Remotecontrolduck Sat 04-May-13 21:49:17

The central premier inn is lovely, very close to the beach and town, has balconies and far above the standards of a normal premier inn. They've retained a lot of the deco features from when the building was a more expensive hotel smile

FutTheShuckUp Sat 04-May-13 21:49:33

Wtf solesource?

Hanginggardenofboobylon Sat 04-May-13 21:50:01

I always stay at the de vere village when on business in Bournemouth. It's a bit out of town but reasonable price and good facilities

ShawnSpencersPineapple Sat 04-May-13 21:52:12

On bus route, directly opposite steps down to the beach, safe location:

www.grovefieldmanor.co.uk/

FutTheShuckUp Sat 04-May-13 21:52:20

Used to stay at the Royal Bath when we used to go * wistful memories*

Fuckwittery Sat 04-May-13 21:57:12

I think you've just offended a number Of women who regularly travel alone OP. are you usually so pathetic?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now