Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To loathe Comic Sans with a passion!

(136 Posts)
ComposHat Sat 04-May-13 07:46:12

I had to go into a local primary school last week and the first thing that struck me was the absolute dominance of Comic Sans.. it was everywhere! From the school sign, to labels and signs, every single one of them in this most loathsome of fonts???? It doesn't say 'fun and friendly' to me, it says 'ugly and inelegant.'

My dad (ex primary school teacher) uses it on emails and it drives me mad! I have to convert the text into another font before I can read the thing.

He even sends off relatively formal letters in this type (I've tried explaining that it is like writing a formal letter with a wax crayon, but he pays no heed.)

He's not the only one, when I worked for social services, 'return tpo court' letters (quite a big deal) were sent out in comic sans and a letting agent recently sent out a form for me in Comic sans - it looked child-like and amateurish and I'm having second thoughts about using them.

There's no need for it, even the most basic version of Windows has lots of beautiful fonts to use at the mere click of a mouse, yet people insist on using Comic Sans

Grrrr!

ParadiseChick Tue 07-May-13 20:18:16

imscarlett that link isn't working but I'd love to see!

Hulababy Tue 07-May-13 20:20:56

I will often use Comic Sans for work purposes. I work in an infant school and not all those lovely fonts referred to in the OP have a proper a. At school we have Sassoon which I prefer - but I don't have it on all the computers I use to do prep on.

Hulababy Tue 07-May-13 20:23:19

And yes - we are told it is better for dyslexic children and those struggling to read.

At school most signs are in it, or Sassoon, even those aimed at adults. This is partly for consistency within school - loads of different fonts would look far worse.

Hulababy Tue 07-May-13 20:26:52

I work with YOUNG dyslexic children, as we are an infant school - so oldest children are in Y2. Hence why we are recommended to use Comic Sans or Sassoon over fonts like Arial.

TheCraicDealer Tue 07-May-13 20:48:19

I got a solicitor's letter through work once written in Comic Sans. I'm sorry to say I immediately assumed they got their LLB in a Happy Meal. It seems to scream, "Look at meeee! I'm FUN, I'm using a FUN font!".

Amazing to think of the vitriol a typeface can provoke. Interesting about the autistic/dyslexia angle, I'll try to be less judgy in future. Not making any promises though.

MiaowTheCat Tue 07-May-13 20:55:44

Century Gothic has the handwritten style a on it.

I used to be on a one-woman campaign to minimise the Comic-Sans invasion into my classroom... I bought my own copies of Sassoon to use for some stuff and I used Century Gothic a lot as well. Some Comic-Sans got through the net but since I was a sad fart who loved making my own resources rather than just downloading pre-prepared ones willy nilly - I had it minimised.

Also had Sparklebombing to an absolute minimum back when people still used that site - would always rather make my own stuff unless really pushed for time.

If we're on primary school pet hates (although this is mainly a KS2 child one) - that blue wibbly WordArt. And kids who've never been taught to use Publisher properly so just open a default template and start typing in it - it's not hard... FFS I've taught Y1 kids the idea of text and image boxes and how to create them from scratch!

But yep - the blue wibbly WordArt needs to die as well (and yes, I use WordArt a bit to make outline letters filled with gradients etc - but the blue wibbly one is just like needles in an eyeball in its visual impact).

I have a bit of a font addiction though - have all sorts of random ones that might come in useful one day on my PCs.

babybarrister Tue 07-May-13 20:55:59

not sure if this has been said as not read whole thread but apparently bloke that designed Gill Sans was a paedophile and so some people won't use it .....

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Gill

have to say I love it as a font ....

Imscarlet Tue 07-May-13 23:23:03

Whoops! [www.opendyslexic.org] hopefully that one works!

edam Tue 07-May-13 23:41:22

I'm glad to say the 'but comic sans is the only typeface suitable for people with dyslexia' myth has been dismissed. Grrrrrrrr.

SinisterBuggyMonth Wed 08-May-13 00:29:28

I think Gil Sans has been Kept Calm and Carried On to death lately.

The very lowest typeface is Brush Script. Some people use this on their number plates. So wrong.

Thumbwitch Wed 08-May-13 00:31:47

Imscarlet, I've tried to get into that website but it's having some troubles - keeps saying it's down! Finally managed it by googling it and going in via another website! opendyslexic.org/ just in case it's working again.

It still has the curly a though, not the handwriting one. I'm not dyslexic myself so can't say whether or not it's going to work for people with dyslexia - but it's not going to be as good for the a.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now