...to expect this man to not bring his pet on the school run?

(91 Posts)
MarvellousYou Fri 03-May-13 16:38:38

So I turn up a few minutes early to pick DS up from preschool and the dad of a boy at DS' s preschool has a python round his neck as though it was as normal as bringing your yorkshire terrier. I can't stand snakes but not particularly phobic, it was obvious others were, including the children.

I'm surely outing myself writing this as there can't be many that have seen this on their school run but what would you have said, if anything? We all just ignored him, steered clear and ran. Would I be wrong to say something next time? It was all a bit surreal, maybe I'm a bit sheltered but I just stood there, pissed off that he wouldn't think how others might react to him and his ahem...snake?

Groovee Fri 03-May-13 19:51:55

I am petrified of snakes, so I'd have to collect earlier than him to avoid it.

ProphetOfDoom Fri 03-May-13 19:57:13

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Sommink Fri 03-May-13 20:00:06

I wish the 2 lovely ladies who walk side by side with their 2 dogs nearest the wall would leave their bloody pets at home. DD has run in front of cars more then once to get away from the snarly little dog treats dogs. No matter how may times I tell her the dogs won't hurt her loudly enough for them to hear they still refuse to move, or shock horror walk one behind the other rather then taking up the whole pavement or at least walk one the outside of the pavement so my daughter could walk along the wall and have a height advantage.

GoldenGreen Fri 03-May-13 20:14:16

This would have shaken me up for days and I would be changing my routine to avoid the possibility of contact with this man again just in case he suddenly appeared next to me with a snake. That's what phobias are like. Not saying it is rational. I am so paranoid about unexpected contact that I immediately thought snake when I read the thread title. Again, I know it is not rational.

It isn't like a dog or bird phobia though, because those are normal everyday animals for the UK, and there is a possibility of seeing them every time you walk down the street. Snake owners must know that there are many people who are terrified of snakes, so why not ask around to see if it's ok first? Give those who are scared a chance to prepare themselves or make other arrangements? It would be a kind thing to do.

scaevola Fri 03-May-13 20:16:55

I would love to see a snake on the school run!

I wonder how OP's constrictions are getting along.

zukiecat Fri 03-May-13 20:20:01

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MotheringShites Fri 03-May-13 20:21:16

I would have had a panic attack and probably pussed myself (literally, not the laughing way). Phobia of these things is different to dogs or spiders as you would not expect to encounter one at a bloody pre-school. I know it's an overreaction but I would not be able to go back there.

MotheringShites Fri 03-May-13 20:21:49

*pissed, not pussed!

MikeOxard Fri 03-May-13 20:22:08

He's probably lonely and wants some attention people to talk to him.

TigerSwallowTail Fri 03-May-13 20:24:33

It would depend if it was a hot or cold day, and whether he was letting children touch the snake tbh.

ajandjjmum Fri 03-May-13 21:32:23

GoldenGreen - me too. I thought 'snake' when I saw the title. He sounds an attention seeker to me, and a selfish prat - so many people are snake phobic.

And it's nothing to do with passing it on to your DC - mine are not worried about snakes in the slightest, because I made sure they didn't know of my phobia until they were teenagers.

Doesn't make me any less bothered though.

Scruffey Fri 03-May-13 21:36:09

Grim IMO. Yanbu. Lots of people are terrified of snakes, they are not generally brought out in public.

mrsjay Fri 03-May-13 21:36:15

I would have wanted to pet his snake <snigger> how many times will children get to see a snake It is a bit odd but why not maybe he was brining it to show some of the kids,

mrsjay Fri 03-May-13 21:37:36

a dad used to bring his spider and bug collection to school not on leads or anything it was pre arranged the children loved it

TigerSwallowTail Fri 03-May-13 21:56:14

There's an increased risk of salmonella from touching snakes, if DS touches our boa I always make sure he washes his hands afterwards, I'd be concerned about how many people he would be letting touch the snake without warning them about hand washing afterwards.

MarvellousYou Fri 03-May-13 22:05:41

schmaltzing I thought you knew me for a second!

Had a bath re contractions and just regular BH with backache, midwife says measuring 44 weeks is enough for anyone to get backache and an irritable uterus. I think the size that I am, he could have been holding a puppy and I still would have thought 'knobhead'. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now