Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

...to expect this man to not bring his pet on the school run?

(91 Posts)
MarvellousYou Fri 03-May-13 16:38:38

So I turn up a few minutes early to pick DS up from preschool and the dad of a boy at DS' s preschool has a python round his neck as though it was as normal as bringing your yorkshire terrier. I can't stand snakes but not particularly phobic, it was obvious others were, including the children.

I'm surely outing myself writing this as there can't be many that have seen this on their school run but what would you have said, if anything? We all just ignored him, steered clear and ran. Would I be wrong to say something next time? It was all a bit surreal, maybe I'm a bit sheltered but I just stood there, pissed off that he wouldn't think how others might react to him and his ahem...snake?

trixymalixy Fri 03-May-13 17:28:33

Wouldn't bother me at all. Bit attention seeking from him.

HollyBerryBush Fri 03-May-13 17:31:32

In my life I've seen people walking round with a rat on their shoulder, a parrot, a kestrel and a rabbit in a pushchair. All up the shopping centre. I didn't see any screaming toddlers, more curious ones.

I do wish parents wouldnt push their phobias/fears/prejudices onto children

MarvellousYou Fri 03-May-13 17:32:40

grin Honeydragon

babybythesea Fri 03-May-13 17:36:12

Well, I love snakes - used to work with them (in a zoo!). My concern is for the snake - was it warm enough?? We only used to take them outdoors in really hot summer weather. Pythons aren't a UK species and need it fairly hot.

They aren't poisonous and aren't likely to pose a threat, although like any animal, if startled, they may bite (self defence). It doesn't hurt much (less than a hamster bite in fact) but it's not like a snake can be trained to be 'used' to people crowding round it on a school run.

Snakes can indeed carry salmonella. We had rules about making sure anyone who touched ours washed their hands properly, and pregnant people and anyone who might be immuno-compromised were advised of this so they could decide whether or not to touch. And this was with a programme in place which tested the animals regularly - they always came back negative but we took the line of assuming that a negative test meant it hadn't been picked up not that it wasn't still a bit of a risk. Hence the fanatical rules about washing hands. To be fair we were an organisation who needed to cover their backs just in case, but still, I'd be wary of letting dd touch a snake under those circumstances and I'd not be going anywhere near if I was pregnant.

I think it's really important to let kids see and touch animals like snakes and spiders - it's why I did it as a job - but I'm not convinced this is the way forward either for those who are frightened (who might need some 'warming up' to it, and it won't do them any favours if the snake takes fright because it's not done in a controlled way and it bites) or for the snake.

Madratlady Fri 03-May-13 17:45:12

YABU

I'm scared of dogs but don't run away if I come into contact with one. A snake or lizard however, I'd be fine with. I bet the kids thought it was really cool!

In a playground full of primary school children, I'd be worried about the python!

Jewcy Fri 03-May-13 17:47:27

The snake is clearly a phallic symbol and, as such, he is flashing. Call the police.

Abra1d Fri 03-May-13 17:50:47

If I saw, unexpectedly, a large snake I would throw up and possibly faint. I know it's irrational but that's what happens. I have tried touching them at a 'Lose your snake phobia' event but was sick. I would hate it.

I don't mind little snakes but the big ones scare me witless.

MarvellousYou Fri 03-May-13 17:51:20

I knew I should have dialled 999, that's what I'll do next time Jewcy

He was stroking it after all, all innuendo and everything.

Lol I'd love this and so would the DC, I think it's just the same as a dog or bringing another pet along.

Man up the road has a snake that he lets slither over the dcs, they think he's pretty much the coolest man ever.

everlong Fri 03-May-13 17:52:28

It's a snake around his neck fgs. It's not going to harm anyone and if you don't like snakes don't go near it.

I don't get the drama!

LeaveTheBarSteward Fri 03-May-13 18:04:24

We've just had to pay for snakes, tarantulas and other animals to visit my ds's school. You got it for free!

Flobbadobs Fri 03-May-13 18:14:05

Maybe he had been mithered half to death by his child to bring it to school and finally broke?
In our school he would have been mobbed by children and parents wanting to have a closer look grin

YABU and hope everything goes well flowers

CouthySaysEatChoccyEggs Fri 03-May-13 19:15:47

Was this my dad, 22 years ago?!

We had a pet python, and he used to pick me up with Lenny as a scarf. So on that basis, YABU!

Oldraver Fri 03-May-13 19:22:09

There was a pets in school day today...I saw a large dog and a brown hen...no snakes. (I like a nice snake)

Blu Fri 03-May-13 19:28:29

never mind the snake...are you in labour???????

(exciting!)

TerrysAllGold Fri 03-May-13 19:30:10

You're being unreasonable. The owner shouldn't have to tailor his life according to your or other people's insecurities and dislikes. It's a snake, not a tiger. grin It isn't venomous and isn't prone to attack anything unless in defence or hunger - and even when hungry they're not prone to attacking humans.

We used to take a pet rat or two on the school run. The children loved them, some of the mothers were aghast, a couple were quite snotty about it. We'd ignore the latter type. grin

I hope all's well with the BH/contractions. flowers

Fluffypinkcoat Fri 03-May-13 19:34:42

Nothing says attention seeker like a snake around your neck on the school run.

McKayz Germany Fri 03-May-13 19:35:54

YABU!! I love snakes. My horrible DH and DC won't let me have one!

I hope all goes well with labour.

landofsoapandglory Fri 03-May-13 19:36:52

I'd have been shaking like a leaf and rooted to the spot! I can't even look at a snake on the TV.

YANBU.

Startail Fri 03-May-13 19:37:18

I used to look after a school snake, so I'd have gone and said Hi.

My DSIS would have run.

OkayHazel Fri 03-May-13 19:45:45

Count your blessings. I worked at a cinema as a teenager, and had a man bring one in to see a film with him.

When I refused to allow the snake in, he offered to buy it a ticket, like that made any difference!

TerrysAllGold Fri 03-May-13 19:47:37

What was the film, OkayHazel? Not a Monty Python one by any chance? grin

littlepeas Fri 03-May-13 19:48:34

I say YABU. He probably thought the children would like to see it and parents shouldn't pass their own irrational fears onto their children by reacting to it as if it is something to be frightened of. Admittedly, I am not afraid of snakes (once had one right next to my foot whilst sunbathing in Sri Lanka and simply said 'oh look, a snake' - it only occurred to me afterwards that it may have been poisonous!), but I don't like spiders - if the equivalent thing had happened with a tarantula I would have taken my dc over for a look.

LeaveTheBarSteward Fri 03-May-13 19:51:43

Nothing says attention seeker like a snake around your neck on the school run.

^love it^ grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now