Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

...to expect this man to not bring his pet on the school run?

(91 Posts)
MarvellousYou Fri 03-May-13 16:38:38

So I turn up a few minutes early to pick DS up from preschool and the dad of a boy at DS' s preschool has a python round his neck as though it was as normal as bringing your yorkshire terrier. I can't stand snakes but not particularly phobic, it was obvious others were, including the children.

I'm surely outing myself writing this as there can't be many that have seen this on their school run but what would you have said, if anything? We all just ignored him, steered clear and ran. Would I be wrong to say something next time? It was all a bit surreal, maybe I'm a bit sheltered but I just stood there, pissed off that he wouldn't think how others might react to him and his ahem...snake?

ENormaSnob Fri 03-May-13 16:52:15

Yanbu

What purpose does it serve to take a fucking snake on the school run.

Its not like it needed to stretch its legs.

bollockstoit Fri 03-May-13 16:52:50

I wouldn't like it particularly. It's an odd thing to do. Can't they carry salmonella?

LOL at snake poop scoop.

DC shouldn't be scared of snakes though - not in the UK at least. Mine have both been to animal parties with snakes involved, and it is only ever the parents who are scared.

YABU, I think.

fuzzpig Fri 03-May-13 16:53:46

I'd LOVE it! Snakes are awesome. Wish I had several one.

In a nearby part of town there are a little pot bellied pig and a parrot that go for walkies on leads. Not the same owner though.

FreckledLeopard Fri 03-May-13 16:54:02

A friend of DD's used to bring her ferret on the school run. I would love to see a snake in the playground!

treas Fri 03-May-13 16:54:06

Are you quite sure he wasn't asked to bring it in to show the children.

Actually might have been beneficial for the scared children to meet it and realise there is nothing to fear except your own stupidity when dealing with animals.

We actually took ds's Tarantula into his pre school and primary on request for educational purposes. Nothing so daft as ignorance.

fuzzpig Fri 03-May-13 16:54:34

Thing is loads of people are terrified of dogs and they aren't banned from school runs!

... and you have to retract the whole AIBU if he has done you a favour by bringing on your labour wink. Good luck.

badguider Fri 03-May-13 16:55:11

Most kids love to pet snakes. It's exciting.
A bit attention-seeking of the dad, but not unreasonable IMO.

fuzzpig Fri 03-May-13 16:55:46

PMSL at the snake stretching its legs grin

Are you in labour then OP?! shock

DukeSilver Fri 03-May-13 16:56:38

Ooo i'd love to see that!

Last summer a guy took his python to the park near my house when it was nice weather. It was having a lot of fun and everybody was fascinated by it. I also saw someone in the same park walking around with a huge parrot on their arm a few days ago. I think its sweet and why the hell not?

skaen Fri 03-May-13 16:57:09

Yanbu in the slightest.

I don't like snakes.

PeterParkerSays Fri 03-May-13 16:57:24

Can you imagine being that bloke's child next Tuesday at preschool? "Wow, loved your daddy's snake (no inuendo please ladies), mummy will only let me have a gerbil...."

Instant kudos

MarvellousYou Fri 03-May-13 16:57:27

Ok, next time I'll ask him if I can stroke his snake...ahem and ask him what species it is. I still think he's a gimp. And you're right about dogs being just as scary for some. FWIW I keep DS away from them too. I'm off take break open the paracetamol to see if I'm having braxton hicks or contractions! Sorry to start a thread and run x

ajandjjmum Fri 03-May-13 16:57:39

I would have had a heart attack.

MarvellousYou Fri 03-May-13 16:57:55

*to break

Hercy Fri 03-May-13 17:02:41

I'm petrified of snakes, so I wouldn't have been happy about it, and would no doubt inadvertently made some of the children nervous by my reaction.

I think a phobia of snakes is reasonably common so I think it's unreasonable for this man to take it on the school run without pre warning people.

Triumphoveradversity Fri 03-May-13 17:05:08

How long was it?

cheesesarnie Fri 03-May-13 17:06:46

maybe it was just his scarf?

everlong Fri 03-May-13 17:07:15

Just take a wide berth from it.

MarvellousYou Fri 03-May-13 17:09:32

He was wearing it as a scarf quite casually, if people hadn't commented I'm sure some of the children wouldn't have noticed. I think it was about 1.2 metres long. Brown with a kind of triangular pattern on it?

D0oinMeCleanin Fri 03-May-13 17:11:45

Which nursery was this? So I can steal my nephew and enroll him

My kids would love this, but dd1 wouldn't be happy to get too close, dd2 would demand to hold it grin

thebody Fri 03-May-13 17:16:59

I think he's an attention seeking twat.

But I am pre-menstrual and anti men today.

All men are twats.

HoneyDragon Fri 03-May-13 17:24:23

At least you didn't have a HISSy fit grin

Trill Fri 03-May-13 17:27:23

grin at HoneyDragon.

YABU

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now