...to expect this man to not bring his pet on the school run?

(91 Posts)
MarvellousYou Fri 03-May-13 16:38:38

So I turn up a few minutes early to pick DS up from preschool and the dad of a boy at DS' s preschool has a python round his neck as though it was as normal as bringing your yorkshire terrier. I can't stand snakes but not particularly phobic, it was obvious others were, including the children.

I'm surely outing myself writing this as there can't be many that have seen this on their school run but what would you have said, if anything? We all just ignored him, steered clear and ran. Would I be wrong to say something next time? It was all a bit surreal, maybe I'm a bit sheltered but I just stood there, pissed off that he wouldn't think how others might react to him and his ahem...snake?

everlong Fri 03-May-13 16:39:59

Why?

What do you think it's going to do?

Can I stroke your big snake? <snurk>

Sorry, not helpful.

quoteunquote Fri 03-May-13 16:41:51

Wouldn't bother me, I expect lots of children really enjoyed seeing it, mine love seeing unusual animals.

Did you think anyone was in danger?

They aren't poisonous, so fairly safe.

YABU I'm afraid. All part of life's rich tapestry.

ipswitch Fri 03-May-13 16:42:56

How did you know it was a python?

MarvellousYou Fri 03-May-13 16:42:57

Everlong...er it doesn't need to attack someone to 'do' anything. Just being there is enough, some kids were asking to be picked up because they were scared.

msrisotto Fri 03-May-13 16:43:30

You ran away? Why?

HairyGrotter Fri 03-May-13 16:43:38

Haha brilliant!

Erm, I think the kids would love it!! I know DD would! So, for that, YABU.

msrisotto Fri 03-May-13 16:44:28

On the one hand, it is polite to be considerate of others, that they might be scared of snakes. However dog owners don't extend the same courtesy so why is this any different?

Softlysoftly Fri 03-May-13 16:44:29

Odd and a bit "look at me! " but I think the kids shouldn't be scared!

MarvellousYou Fri 03-May-13 16:44:50

I don't know it was definitely a python but I think it was, I can google it, does it matter? Ok maybe I was being a bit grumpy and was BU.

PeterParkerSays Fri 03-May-13 16:45:03

I'd have walked over and asked if DS could see the snake and maybe stroke it. It's a chance for my DS, who will otherwise only be getting to see a snake in a zoo because hell will freeze before we have one at home, in the flesh.

If it's warm enough for him to do this, I don't see the problem.

GhoulWithADragonTattoo Fri 03-May-13 16:45:12

I saw a snake on the school run yesterday. It was only a grass snake but still gave me a shock shock

I tend to think pet snakes should not be brought on the school run as a lot of people / children are scared of them.

LilacBreastedRoller Fri 03-May-13 16:46:01

I'm sure it's a lot less likely to cause trouble than some dogs. I'd have wanted a look at it, I imagine quite a few DC would have loved to have a stroke.

thebody Fri 03-May-13 16:47:12

Most schools have a no pet rule in the playground barring guide dog.

If he was actually in the playground I am amazed the teacher on duty didn't ask him to leave.

TheFallenNinja Fri 03-May-13 16:48:21

Dud he have a little snake poop scoop?

SantanaLopez Fri 03-May-13 16:49:16

Did he have it on a leash? What if it tried to escape?

ipswitch Fri 03-May-13 16:49:30

Perhaps you should have asked what sort of snake it was then, rather than jumping to the conclusion that it was a Python.

I think you were being a bit grumpy and unreasonable.

MarvellousYou Fri 03-May-13 16:49:31

As a side note I think he may have sent me into labour...I may kiss him next time I see him!

Its a small preschool, cramped pick up point and its a snake!? Surely if something brought a tarantula people would be bothered?

I My children would love it.

He probably thought the DC would have enjoyed seeing it and the parents would engage with him. Plus on a warm day the snake could have a nice bask in the sun.

Its hardly going to chase you down the street is it.

HoHoHoNoYouDont Fri 03-May-13 16:51:02

I would have crapped myself had I turned around and seen him next to me!
I imagine it would be exciting for the kids to see but he does sound a bit like an attention seeker.
I don't agree with keeping snakes or exotic pets so I'm going to say YANBU on this occasion grin

bamboobutton Fri 03-May-13 16:51:56

What's to be scared of? They're not poisonous and in the highly unlikely event of the snake leaping from his shoulders hissing and attempting to squeeze a child to death then the neck could easily be broken.

I would have wanted to touch it.

bubbles1231 Fri 03-May-13 16:52:03

But didn't running away just spread the hysteria?

MrsDeVere Fri 03-May-13 16:52:14

Shouldn't bring him the playground.
Otherwise I can't see the issue.
Bet there are as many people who hate dogs as there are who hate snakes.

Good luck with the labour.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now