To put my hair in bunches?

(49 Posts)
Kasterborous Fri 03-May-13 12:38:30

I've recently grown my hair out after years of having it short, and it's finally got to a long enough length to tie it back. I tried a ponytail but it won't stay in so I put it in bunches. A couple of people have said to me that only girls have bunches made me feel a bit sad. I know I'm 40 but is it really that bad?

sue52 Fri 03-May-13 12:41:13

It really only suits the under 12s. Is it long enough to put up instead?

MrsLettuce Fri 03-May-13 12:42:35

YABU unless it's just to do the cleaning / gardening / suchlike. Sorry.

aldiwhore Fri 03-May-13 12:42:46

I disagree sue52 I think it can look rather swish on anyone.

Do it, the day you tell yourseld you're too old, then you become old.

Nothing wrong with bunches, but do go easy on the ribbon smile

LessMissAbs Fri 03-May-13 12:43:25

Why not? Its a sporty, practical style. I find ideas that age goes along with hairstyle stuck in the 1950's - along with overgrown perms and badly conditioned hair. If you have long hair, two loose side bunches can look great, if its shorter, two high back bunches can also look good.

Anything must be better than the generic unflattering short pudding bowl hairstyle that so many women seem to get co-erced into.

BriansBrain Fri 03-May-13 12:45:36

High or low?

High I would think quirky children's entertainer, low I wouldn't see a problem if its still to short for a proper pony tail.

Personally I do what ever I want with my hair

Still18atheart Fri 03-May-13 12:45:54

YABU

unless you are under the age of 12 or dressing up as a school girl

skintagshame Fri 03-May-13 12:46:02

urgh no, bunches on grown women = tacky

ClumsyClumberson Fri 03-May-13 12:46:28

Who cares what other people think? It's your hair, you decide. FWIW I'm 37 and still wear bunches and don't intend to stop anytime soon.

Callisto Fri 03-May-13 12:47:43

I think it depends whether the bunches are above your ears or on each side of the nape of your neck. The ear-bunch look is not terribly flattering at any age.

You could also try one of those crocodile clip type things or just put the top part up. Head over to Style & Beauty who can advise on different styles.

Kasterborous Fri 03-May-13 12:47:58

grin at aldiwhore must have been all that pink ribbon I was wearing! I only use plain elastic hairbands. It won't go in a ponytail not quite long enough yet.

LadyBeagleEyes Fri 03-May-13 12:49:29

Abby in NCIS has bunches.
She really suits them.

Sommink Fri 03-May-13 12:51:00

I put mine in pigtails when im going to zumba, its the only way i can tie it up as its not quite long enough for a pony tail. I really don't care what other people think about it needs must. Go for it!

HotPanda Fri 03-May-13 12:51:37

Can you plait it? I find french plait bunches look ok, whereas normal bunches look as though I am trying to be 8. I'm 32!

This is usually only holiday/theme park/ swimming/ playing sport hair though, I can do much prettier things with it day to day.

How long is yours? I can't get the whole lot up in a pony as the back is short. but I do loads with the front/top half.

SanitaryOwl Fri 03-May-13 12:52:15

Fuckit, I'm going to put my nipple-length hair in bunches. I'm 42, and do not give a shit. Might plait them as well.

fromparistoberlin Fri 03-May-13 12:52:38

yabu, and they are right

you are 40 woman! get some hairclips and live with a pony tail

Kasterborous Fri 03-May-13 12:53:01

Thanks Callisto will head over there for some ideas. It's so long since I had long hair that I need some practice.

The bunches are about half way down my ears.

Callycat Fri 03-May-13 12:54:14

Wear it however makes you happy! Other people can please themselves.

Disclaimer: I'm nearly 40, and still have a penchant for neon plastic bracelets.

lucyt90 Fri 03-May-13 12:56:02

Depending on how you work it, I think it could totally suit! My mum often does it as she finds it more comfortable than a ponytail.

im 31 and i still do this!

not often mind, but sometimes im in the mood for a good ear tickle grin

Kafri Fri 03-May-13 13:10:25

29 and still wear low plaited bunches. if anyone wants to complain they can find someone else to complain to. last I checked, me wearing bunches wasn't doing anyone else any harm whatsoever.

UnChartered Fri 03-May-13 13:15:28

are they high bunches or low bunches?

SoleSource Fri 03-May-13 13:17:21

Yanbu do what you want

Weegiemum Fri 03-May-13 13:19:00

My 9yo dd2 went to school today with bunches (done professionally apparently by dd1 (13 - so she's always right!).

Even dd1 won't do bunches though she occasionally wears plaits.

Bunches are for little girls, is the message I'm getting!

bollockstoit Fri 03-May-13 13:20:04

This has inspired me to try my hair in bunches, thanks (will probably look shit though)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now