Doing your make up . . if really ill?

(52 Posts)
Thumbtack Fri 03-May-13 09:47:24

I had to send one of the bar staff home yesterday lunchtime, soon after arriving very late for work. She is a young lass and not a bad worker, so no issue with employing her. However I had to (due to health and safety) as she told me she had been physically sick and throwing up all night due to worrying about x, y and z, hence the reason she was late.

But . . , she had a full face of make up on, including false eyelashes and had straightened her hair . .

Am i being a cynical old cow thinking it cant have been that bad if you managed to put on the full works of make up?

I'm a nice boss so its no big deal and of course i'll give her the benefit of the doubt but i was a bit hmm

Is it possible to be fraught with worry, physically sick and yet able to put false eyelashes on? Maybe I'm just getting old?

Bunbaker Sat 04-May-13 10:01:35

If I was unwell I would make a point of not putting make up on. Then I would get more sympathy because I looked so crap grin

And make up for going into hospital - blimey I have heard it all now. The thought of getting hot and sweaty with a face full of gunk - I can just feel my face breaking out into spots at the thought of it.

Are some people that shallow and vain self conscious without makeup?

BTW I am not some worthy that never wears it. I wear it for work and going out, but not for when I am at home as I like my skin to breathe.

GlassofRose Sat 04-May-13 09:51:38

ahhh claps wasn't supposed to be in bold...

GlassofRose Sat 04-May-13 09:51:10

I also did my make up when in labour, and DH sorted out my bikini line in the bath before I left the house to go to hospital

freddiefrog you're my hero haha claps

Floggingmolly Fri 03-May-13 16:23:02

I look like a walking corpse without makeup, even if I'm not ill. So I'd always out the mask on, but false eyelashes and straightened hair is a step too far.

twentythirteen Fri 03-May-13 16:08:00

If I'm well enough to be out then I'm well enough to put make up on!

LaQueen Fri 03-May-13 16:05:16

I'd have to be at Death's Door, to be out and about, without at least some make-up on.

That's how I, and family, know I must be really ill, if I'm slobbing around, unshowered and face au naturel (and grey and pasty).

Then again, I have a friend who is in a whole other league. And, she St Tropezed herself, whilst in labour because she wanted to have a golden glow in the photos.

Now that's dedication.

valiumredhead Fri 03-May-13 14:22:26

Make up always on if going into work, if I felt too ill to put my make up on I wouldn't go into work.

I always step up my make up routine when I feel rubbish. If I feel like shit, I don't want to look like it as well. I was in hospital, seriously ill and felt better by doing the most grooming that I could, including make up, so she could well have been very ill. Once you have the hang of putting on your face, it doesn't take long.

I always step up my make up routine when I feel rubbish. If I feel like shit, I don't want to look like it as well. I was in hospital, seriously ill and felt better by doing the most grooming that I could, including make up, so she could well have been very ill. Once you have the hang of putting on your face, it doesn't take long.

Thumbtack Fri 03-May-13 14:05:02

At least two days! Dreadful isn't it. Youth is wasted on the young (I can say that now I'm older - deep sigh)

She has youth on her side Thumb.

No amount of make-up would cover up a hangover for me nowadays. I need at least two days to recover. grin

Thumbtack Fri 03-May-13 13:52:41

LadySlatterly - she did a good job because she look good, that's what threw me! I also hate it when I try my best and people go -- God you look awful blush

freddiefrog Fri 03-May-13 13:24:23

I'd give her the benefit of the doubt

I wear make up every day and I still do the works if I'm ill

I also did my make up when in labour, and DH sorted out my bikini line in the bath before I left the house to go to hospital

KnitMinion Fri 03-May-13 13:19:49

My friend's sister had medical professionals (can't remember exactly who) not believe she had appendicitis as she had done her make up!

Booyhoo - I look odd with just mascara. It's all or nothing with me.

Booyhoo Fri 03-May-13 12:58:32

i have never once just done mascara or eyeliner. if i'm doing make-up i do it start to finish otherwise i dont see the point. if i was really pushed for time i'd do foundation, blush, gloss and mascara but never would i just do my eyes. i think it looks odd (sorry couthy- but i bet your skin is great so you can get away without foundation wink)

Booyhoo Fri 03-May-13 12:53:37

if she was sick with stress then yes i could see how she managed to do her hair and make-up. i would just to hide the lack of sleep and try and convince myself i felt better than i actually did. but if sick from a bug then i wouldn't have managed it. but tbh in that case i wouldn't have come into work either, especially not if dealing with food.

and that would be percent without a space grin

Y'know what I hate?

When you are ill, and you spend ages applying some make-up trying to look and feel better. Then you drag yourself in work because you don't want to let people down and the first person you see says "you look like shit".

Why do people do that? You immediately feel a million per cent worse.

I might say "are you okay, you're quiet today" or something similar - but never tell someone they look like shit.

<rant over>

CouthySaysEatChoccyEggs Fri 03-May-13 12:21:11

It's not to cover anything up or anything, I just prefer to highlight my eyes, as I look more like 'me' like that. My eyes look like piggy eyes if I'm not at least wearing eyeliner & mascara!

I can't always be arsed to do foundation, lipstick, eyeshadow etc, but my eyeliner & mascara would come with me even if I was stranded in a desert island!

therumoursaretrue Fri 03-May-13 12:19:26

I'm more likely to do my makeup if I'm ill or worried as I'd be more aware and self conscious about how I look. I'd give her the benefit of the doubt.

CouthySaysEatChoccyEggs Fri 03-May-13 12:17:04

I did my makeup whilst in labour. blush

CouthySaysEatChoccyEggs Fri 03-May-13 12:16:08

If I was leaving the house, no matter how ill I am, I still do my makeup.

I'm ill a LOT, as I'm disabled. Doesn't mean I have to look like shit just because I feel like shit...wink

Latara Fri 03-May-13 11:59:22

My Mum always wears make up even when she's ill in hospital!

I only wear make up when i'm well (got depression).

Everyone is different.

Still18atheart Fri 03-May-13 11:48:51

YABU

I'm more likely to out make up on when I'm ill then when I'm not. Because it makes me feel better about myself somehow. And if I feel better about self I don't feel as rotten

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now