To be disapointed in the human race :(

(93 Posts)
HeffalumpTheFlump Fri 03-May-13 09:31:53

I went to an appointment at the women's centre at the hospital yesterday. After booking in I was asked to go round to the waiting room which was packed. I'm currently 4 and a half months pregnant and have a bit of a bump. There were plenty of men in the waiting room along with lots of pregnant women. A few of the men near me looked at my bump but didn't offer me a seat. I was fine with that as im not heavily pregnant, I do faint if I stand up too long but they don't know that.

A little while later I managed to get a seat and was waiting for my name to be called. I then saw the most painfully pregnant looking woman (tiny tiny frame and a bump the size of a planet) walk in and I thought surely someone will offer this woman a seat. Nope, not one of the men stood up. As soon as I realised this I gave her mine and had a chat with her. Turns out she is two weeks from being induced with twins and had just walked to the hospital, no wonder she looked exhausted!!!

I'm really cross that not one person in the room cared enough about another human being to offer this lady a seat, it just makes me so sad sad

Binkybix Fri 03-May-13 11:42:29

Maybe you should try to explain it in a different way if you think I'm still missing it (which I'm not FYI).

HeffalumpTheFlump Fri 03-May-13 11:44:14

Ooh very nice point anklebitersmum! Both myself and my DH were raised to understand the value of politeness and manners. In my experience, as well as helping others as in this situation, manners open doors and help you to succeed in life. I personally will be teaching my little'un to be the importance of these virtues and I hope they will see like I have that although they are free, they most certainly are not worthless.

HeffalumpTheFlump Fri 03-May-13 11:47:29

Booyhoo iv really had enough of this. Your problem is with my title not my post. You decided to try and insult me and my ability to understand. I'm done. Feel free to carry on picking a fight with binky if shes up for it but I would rather chat with the other ladies.

Binkybix Fri 03-May-13 11:49:56

No, I'm not up for it. It's odd.

fromparistoberlin Fri 03-May-13 11:51:26

OP, you need to woman up! next time stand there and say

I AM 5 months PREGNANT, IS ANYONE GOING TO GIVE UP THEIR SEAT OR JUST LEAVE ME STANDING

shame them , I do this fpor pregnant women all the time on the tube

people are thoughtless

HeffalumpTheFlump Fri 03-May-13 11:53:29

Fair play binky, it's not really my idea of fun either!

Binkybix Fri 03-May-13 11:54:01

smile

fromparistoberlin Fri 03-May-13 11:54:49

so OP, next time, say something

I got very annoyed by the Dads, the non pregnant mums and the bloody interpretors taking seats!

HeffalumpTheFlump Fri 03-May-13 11:55:26

Fromparistoberlin I really did think about it! Right next time I'll put my big girl knickers on and make a stand! grin

HeffalumpTheFlump Fri 03-May-13 11:56:25

Make a stand by funnily enough keeping my seat hehe

Booyhoo Fri 03-May-13 11:56:56

op i was responding to your comment. did you expect me not to? you asked me a question so i'm guessing you wanted me to reply. why are you now saying you've had enough when i replied to you?

i'm not picking a fight with anyone. i'm responding to posts adressed to me. that's how threads work.

Booyhoo Fri 03-May-13 12:01:37

binky

my point is not that i thought OP meant the whole human race was in the waiting room hmm. my point is that she was attributing teh behaviour of 30 people in 1 specific incident to all of the human race in her title. in reality of course she was just being a drama queen using that in her title. she could have easily said she was disappointed in some people's lack of manners and not pissed off anyone else in doing so. she chose to lump all people in together implying that all people would be so rude as to not offer a seat to a pregnant woman.

HeffalumpTheFlump Fri 03-May-13 12:03:03

Ok I have nothing further to say to you. I will not be addressing any further posts to you please can you give it a rest!!

Binkybix Fri 03-May-13 12:06:24

So it turns out I did understand your point perfectly after all. Great, we can drop it now.

quoteunquote Fri 03-May-13 12:08:25

Next time just say loudly, "Could anyone not pregnant or disabled stand up', (best paddington hard stare) "then take your pick"

It always works.

Booyhoo Fri 03-May-13 12:08:43

give what a rest? i'm only addressing points on a thread- like i said that's how it works here! of course i'm not going to reply if you dont address anything further to me- why would i? confused

recall Fri 03-May-13 12:12:31

I bought 2 coffees and some other stuff at the garage recently, there was a queue of men behind me that went right back to the door. The door was a heavy one, and I stood in front of it working out how to open it with my hands full of hot coffee etc. The lady on the till actually asked "Could someone help the Lady please?" and eventually one of the men opened the door for me. I felt really humiliated and embarrassed by this.
It is sad that no one helps sad

ElectricSheep Fri 03-May-13 12:18:53

Booyhoo Are you familiar with the saying 'If you can't say anything nice, then don't say anything at all'?

You are being rude, overbearing and repetitive. STFU dear.

Booyhoo Fri 03-May-13 12:21:33

electric sheep re-read your post. you either agree with that saying or you dont. dear.

Takver Fri 03-May-13 12:23:22

I've seen badges that say 'baby on board' - its a wee bit twee, but an easy way to make the point that you would be grateful for a seat / a bit of extra help, and also to make it clear you won't be offended.

I have to say my experience in general is that people in general are very ready to be helpful when I have heavy luggage / hands full etc, and that includes in London on public transport. Maybe you were just unlucky with those 30, or else they were all too focussed on their appointments etc.? Mind you, when I was pregnant & struggled to stand I would have either sat on the floor (most likely), or asked if anyone was able to give up a seat. But then I have no shame grin

anklebitersmum Fri 03-May-13 12:28:35

It really is indicative of society though, I love 24hrs A&E but I end up shouting at the telly about people's ungrateful, self important & entitled attitude almost every episode.

I may be turning into a grumpus in my middle age

I remember getting on the bus, heavily pregnant with twins, and having to stand for most of the way then getting a seat. An elderly man walking with two sticks got on - and I was the only one that got up to offer him my seat.

I did say loudly something to the tune of, 'here, have my seat, as everyone else clearly has more of a need of theirs'.

(PS - he was very embarrassed but couldn't physically stand. Everyone else just looked away hmm)

HeffalumpTheFlump Fri 03-May-13 12:37:38

I think there should be some sort of campaign. Bring back manners!! I really like hearing the nice examples, but it does seem there are far too many bad ones!

TerrysAllGold Fri 03-May-13 12:37:56

"When me and my dad went to the FA cup semi final tubes were obvs v busy, and people could not always see the bump."

Are you sure it wasn't because you were wearing the wrong colour scarf, Binkybix? grin

I'm another of the "first to offer, last to accept" type. It's just the way I was brought up. My children are the same and have always been quick to offer an adult their seat on a full bus even when small. It's about courtesy, not gender.

neunundneunzigluftballons Fri 03-May-13 12:38:28

The midwives/nurses at our clinics often put their heads out the door and said seats are for patients only (it was not just a maternity clinic) and regularly told young men to move. Personally if I was heavily pregnant I would have asked for a seat, I often did and nobody ever refused. Sometimes people just don't think.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now