to think most people would assume you share tapas?

(107 Posts)
AaDB Thu 02-May-13 21:32:40

Why suggest going for tapas, take part in a discussion to ensure a good mix is ordered and then take your food and say you will not be sharing?

JennyMackerz Sun 05-May-13 10:42:49

I've had pig's tail and it was gorgeous. Like the nicest nicest sausage you have ever tasted. YUM. Not kidding. and i am now largely pescatarian! (these days!)

JennyMackerz Sun 05-May-13 10:40:29

I am fairly certain i never paid for pinchos. YIKES!!! This was in Elche. I used to knockabout with a guy from Bilbao, so that might be why I insert xes where they aren't there. But this was.... omg, hacía una vez, maybe even in Spain the sound of Kerching, a euro por favor makes sense. tbh, i can't really speak with any authority on what happens in spain because it is 22 years since I lived there. My dd and I are planning a trip, as soon as her braces are paid for :-p

KenDoddsDadsDog Sun 05-May-13 07:53:20

I loved living in Granada where tapas and pinchos are free! Especially as a greedy student.

aurynne Sat 04-May-13 23:29:42

JennyMackerz no, unfortunately you pay for pinchos ("pintxos" is the word used in the Basque Country), wish they were free! They are usually 1 euro each in the region I am from (Asturias).

And not every Spanish dish is shared, just the raciones (or tapas if you want to call them like that). That does not mean Spanish people eat raciones or tapas all the time and everywhere, we also have entrees, mains, seconds, sides and desserts as everyone else :P

AaDB Sat 04-May-13 12:19:41

WTAF is wind dried ham. confused. If you like tough meat that has been playing with flies, this is for you.

If someone ordered lamb brains and olives to share, I would kick them up the arse.

No to "deep fried suckling pig ears" I don't care if they are only pork scratchings

limitedperiodonly Sat 04-May-13 11:53:32

I hate this place. Decent food but not enough of it, shockingly expensive and the chiselling bastards do their best to get you out in an hour so they can relieve as many suckers of their cash as they can.

Not surprisingly it's a concept by two English brothers who've been to Spain and worked out that loads of London people have more money than sense.

They also run a place in Soho where you can't book so wait at the expensive bar and then spend half an hour at the table. This wheeze is billed as a boon for the cash-rich, time-poor media executive.

I won't go to any restaurant that's run for their convenience, not mine. Lots of people will though.

AaDB Sat 04-May-13 11:32:17

Limited wine grin I love it. I am AaDB and I am an Intergalactic Party Crasher

AaDB Sat 04-May-13 11:28:44

Pigsmummy We all decided on the bar we wanted to go and I sent a menu plan in case people wanted to eat. We had the option of going for a meal later but we were have a brilliant time and decided to stay in the bar. Friend in question took part in a discussion where by we all decided between us what to order. The inclusion of bread, meat, fish and veggies were debated and discussed. When the waiting staff brought the food Laura 'Tribianni' said 'that's mine and I won't be sharing'. I thought she was joking at first but she was obviously stressed at the very idea of sharing her selection. I think she did have a try of leftovers but wasn't keen to try a selection as it came. We all spent the same on drink and food and the bill was split equally; no calculators required.

I don't think my friend had this type of food before. She has since said she likes the food but not the sharing (fair enough). I would hate to go for this type of food with a greedy guzzler.

limitedperiodonly Sat 04-May-13 11:28:44

Star Wars? So you gatecrash intergalactic parties? Respect. grin

AaDB Sat 04-May-13 11:14:57

Limited I will celebrate any event. We are having a Star Wars themed food day today and tomorrow we are having a Mexican feast for Cinco de Mayo day. Monday is bbq - lots of lovely salads and bread, homemade doner kebab, tandoori chicken, salmon and steak. We will share them all.

I'd much rather go for a meal or something to eat than go to a pub. This style of drinking and eating seems like a good compromise; food is either well made and delicious or it isn't. Raciones/cichetti are great. Not so keen on La Tasca/Estilo but mini AaDB likes them.

McBalls Sat 04-May-13 11:14:56

I have been twice to tapas restaurants here and honestly, the vision of a group of English people politely trying to eke out teeny tiny bowls of bland food and feeling ever so pleased with that despite being absolutely ripped off is pretty depressing.

Really, I'd rather go to a pub and chuck some crisps and peanuts on the table.

Shakey1500 Sat 04-May-13 11:07:30

I hate sharing food. The first (and last) time I went to a tapas bar, without really appreciating what the score was was horrible. I was happy for others to order, again, not really knowing. Out of all the dishes that arrived there was a paltry selection of about two dishes that I liked. Ended up with a sparrows worth of food and paid £20 for the privilege!

Much prefer to order something I know I'll like and have it on a plate that is ALL MINE grin

DowntonTrout Sat 04-May-13 11:06:12

aurynne is absolutely right.

Tapas is not a meal. In Spain (Spanish Spain- IYKWIM) you get a tapa with a caneca for say 1€. You go from bar to bar to sample a little morsel with a drink.

If you want a plate of food to share you order a racione. You would go for tapa and drinks in the evening say, then have a proper meal at 10/11 at night. Or you would sit and order raciones to share, bigger plates, over a couple of hours. You would not order everything at once, the dishes would come sporadically, and then you would order more, as you wanted.

The idea of having to sit in a group and order tapas as you get in the UK ( yes the dreaded 3 kebab scenario!) fills me with dread. Especially with gambas. don't touch my gambas!!!

YonicTheHedgehog Sat 04-May-13 11:04:17

My ex BIL is not a sharer, greedy cunt still bitter

Pigsmummy Sat 04-May-13 11:02:29

Did the friend have a say in the restaurant choice? If not might be why they did a Joey?

NotDavidTennant Sat 04-May-13 11:01:57

I go by the rule that if a dish is ordered by 'the group' then it belongs to the group (and therefore is shared) and if it is ordered by a specific individual then it belongs to that individual (and is only shared at their say so).

I once went for tapas with a friend's group of friends. The waiter kept depositing the dishes at one end of the table - by the time they worked their way down my end there was nothing left. I was starving when I got home (and paid an equal share of the meal to add insult to injury).

I'm not a pushover by the way - I just didn't know the group well enough.

Another time I went for tapas with my own friends who insisted on not sharing and ordering our own dishes confused

Despite this, I love tapas but agree - no more than four of you works best grin

McBalls Sat 04-May-13 10:54:04

If my licking of you would make you uncomfortable in any way, aurynne, then I'll just dab at you with a nice bit of pan instead.

I've never had tapas before. I feel like I've missed out on something very important! grin

McBalls Sat 04-May-13 10:50:41

Add message | Report | Message poster aurynne Sat 04-May-13 04:19:29
The problem here comes from a big misunderstanding of the term "tapa". In Spain, a "tapa" is a tiny, individual portion of food that is given free with a drink. It is meant for one person. If several people go out to eat, they order "raciones", which are dishes full of one type of food each, and it should be enough for every member of the table to have at least two bits each. So tell the restaurant owners to stop ripping you off and use the correct Spanish term if they want to sell proper Spanish food. What you guys seem to be given is a strange hybrid between a tapa and a racion which wouldn't satisfy any Spaniard. Raciones are also CHEAP and GOOD food. In the "pseudo-Spanish" restaurants I have visited in the UK, ordering a tapa would cost you the same or more than a whole main dish, which is rubbish. Tell them to either open a proper Spanish restaurant with all its implications, or just call it a pub and stop benefiting from the exotic connotations of a Spanish name.

So there :P

^^^This^^^, a zillion times ^this!

Have been reading this thread getting more and more incredumalated and then got to aurynne's post and now want to smother her in the oil in which the Gambas al ajillo swim and lick it off. (That's a good thing btw)

AmberLeaf Sat 04-May-13 10:42:13

This thread has had me googling Tapas and drooling at the pictures.

limitedperiodonly Sat 04-May-13 10:35:15

The thing I love about being English is that we will take any world cuisine and make it our own

YY AaDb we don't really have parties of our own but St Patrick's Day, Chinese New Year... we'll join in grin

and YY to amberleaf marketing is the genius curse of this country. Mind you, I was in Florence and an American in my hotel was marvelling that the city didn't have a Starbucks. No, because the Italians can't do coffee, can they? That was a few years ago. The evil empire have probably taken over now.

AaDB Sat 04-May-13 10:32:31

At the restaurant we go to, they bring a free limited selection around with drinks.

JennyMackerz Sat 04-May-13 10:22:20

auryune, true, and often they push the pinchos on you and pinchos (or is it pinxo?) they are free. FREE! do you hear this la tasca?!

JennyMackerz Sat 04-May-13 10:18:18

I don't know if you really have to feel inclined to share EVERYTHING do yu? if you order anchoas for example and get 3 on a tiny plate, I don't think you have to share. i used to live in spain and i would have been fairly confident about eating what i ordered myself. obviously if you get more than you think you can eat - push it into the middle. if you order something that is one half of a roasted red pepper with a tiny strip of aubergine and courgette then just pull the dish nearer to you and eat it. I seemed to remember people didn't share as much as we believed they share. I think we panic and take the sharing thing too much on board. It's a more relaxed thing. It's not liek share that god dam you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now