To want to my daughter to not be constantly doing gymnastics -light hearted

(21 Posts)
ReallyTired Thu 02-May-13 20:41:55

dd has been going to a pre school gym class for a year and loves it. The only frustrating thing is that she constantly wants to do forward rolls, hand stands and nearly hurt herself by doing a cartwheel in the lounge. She is a liablity to herself at the moment.

Am I unreasonable to ask dd to some colouring or play with lego instead of practicing head stands.

Salmotrutta Thu 02-May-13 20:43:11

But she might be the next Beth Tweddle... grin

Don't let her start dancing or swimming then, my DD does all 3 (trying to tire the little sod out so she finally sleeps!) and loves to show off her 'skills'. She told a woman off in the supermarket this week for having 'naughty feet' - feet together instead of in a ballet stance. she also swims in the bath and tries to cartwheel down the street.

specialsubject Thu 02-May-13 20:49:01

house rules - no gymnastics except on a patch of grass.

bellybuttonfairy Thu 02-May-13 21:38:10

My DD1 was like this, she's now 6 and does 9 hours of gym training a week and does backflips off the sofa. She doesnt walk anywhere, just cartwheels down the street. I dont seem to notice anymore...

WinterWinds Thu 02-May-13 23:41:43

DS2 (14) went through a stage like this about a year ago.
He has a very keen interest in base jumping, I couldn't take him anywhere without him launching himself over walls/benches/bike racks/bins or swinging from a lamp post.
Trying to walk through the town centre was a friggin nightmare as he'd just take off!

He's calmed down somewhat but still gets ant's in his pants every now and again.

Preferthedogtothekids Thu 02-May-13 23:44:24

My daughter was the same when she was a young gymnast. She's too tall to do a handstand in the lounge now. If your daughter goes on to she promise in the sport she'll end up doing so many hours in a gymnastics club that she'll be desperate to do other stuff at home!

BackforGood Fri 03-May-13 00:01:30

My dd doesn't go to gymnastics, but she boings and bounces and forward rolls all around the place too - I think it's the ants in their pants rather than the fact they go to gym. indeed, by learning how to land safely, roll safely, etc., it might potentially make her safer - think of it that way grin

LadyLech Fri 03-May-13 00:09:34

I'm with the pposter after a while, you stop noticing.

My daughter is 9 and trains 18 hours a week. She has zero ability to walk anywhere, but I can reliably inform you that it is 140 cartwheels from the car park to the gym door. I think the most annoying thing is that she doesn't even know she does it. We'll be in the supermarket, and she'll just do a front walkover down the aisle. I'll tell her off and she doesn't even know what she's done. That said, half the time I don't notice anymore and when someone comments about her cartwheeling or doing walk overs down the street I sometimes wonder what they're on about.

Gymnastics takes over your life so much, that I think you lose sight of what normality is sometimes!

NotSuchASmugMarriedNow Fri 03-May-13 00:22:51

grin
lovely thread

Startail Fri 03-May-13 00:25:09

Help, I thought cartwheels in the garden, house and trampoline were bad enough. I do not want them in the supermarket.

musicposy Fri 03-May-13 00:32:25

Haha, I'm another one whose children pirouette in the supermarket - and they are teens, and old enough to know better! The ballet moves just get more dangerous to other shoppers. I'm constantly telling them to stand still.

It will get worse grin

MacaYoniAndCheese Fri 03-May-13 00:33:13

My daughter does 9 hours a week (officially) and spends most of her time at home upside down; I have been kicked in the head many times angry. We now have a new house rule, 'no gymnasticking (sic) on the furniture'. We got a trampoline instead and now she stays out until dark doing layovers, or whatever they're called...

musicposy Fri 03-May-13 00:37:26

Certainly for ballet, and I imagine this is true for gym, out in public unfortunately provides a nice big space for practice compared to home. Hence the supermarket attraction. Backflips down the aisles would be fun to watch, mind you!

I am 26 and still sometimes do pirouettes and jetes in supermarkets..... Only if it is an empty aisle, but people have this annoying habit of entering the aisle when you're in mid air. Mind you, my mum is 68 and she still slides down the aisle on the trolley!

ReallyTired Fri 03-May-13 13:38:11

This thread gives me an idea of what I am in for in a few years time. Dd only does 1 hour a week of gym class. I can't imagine that me as a parent would have the dedication to take her to nine hours fo gym.

BackforGood I naively thought that a gym class would give her an outlet for her bouncing around. Infact it has made it worse as she is desperate to show Nikki that she can do a head stand.

I am relieved that dd can't read this thread or meet your children otherwise it would give her ideas grin

Fyouimfabulous Fri 03-May-13 13:52:52

Dancing and gymnastic daughters here too! Have to remind them gymnastics is only on the grass and even then stop them with more dangerous stuff that belongs on the sprung floor at the gym! They also just recently did their annual dance exams and for two months, all we saw wherever we were was them both practising "shuffle, ball, change, tap step, ball, change" over and over and over again!!! Thankfully it don't now and they're in dance show practice mode!

boxershorts Fri 03-May-13 13:57:02

Please hope she does not get too obsessed with gymnastics. Obsession is a dark tunnel. Even if it may win races.

loopyluna Fri 03-May-13 21:05:06

Gymnastics is an addiction. My DDs made handprints rather than footprints in the snow this winter, walking up and down the garden on their hands!
If she's already got the bug, be warned, it will get worse grin

loopyluna Fri 03-May-13 21:07:00

AND, when one of my gymnasts broke her arm doing a handspring, she spent 2 months in a cast... watching gymnastics clips on youtube! Gaaah!

GraduallyGoingInsane Fri 03-May-13 21:12:52

I have gymnastic and ballet going DDs...4 of them! I bought a trampoline to keep them outside but they still crash about wherever we are! Supermarkets are a favourite spot, as are any patio area and the school playing fields (fine, but for the fact that they wear skirts! DD2 showed me a photo of her mid flick, which I had to say 'that's lovely darling, but the way down probably wasn't very flattering in your school skirt)

Mine do Allstar cheer too (much like acro, aka BGT's Spellbound, no Pom Pom shaking in sight). The 'cool' thing is to throw stunts everywhere they go. I'm just waiting the call from A&E when one of them hits concrete after stunting 8ft in the air in a carpark. Give me strength.

Oh, and eldest is 16. They don't grow out of it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now