My daughter is not a Princess!

(181 Posts)
DrSeuss Thu 02-May-13 20:09:04

Another reference on FB to a friend's "Little Princess.". Am I the only one who prefers to avoid this word? My two year old is bright, funny, cuddly, sometimes stroppy. I hope she grows up to be something that makes her happy, no idea what yet, just something she finds fulfilling. Why would I give her such an inane title? The Duchess of Cambridge, who I actually really like, has a degree from a top university. She now has no right to express an opinion and will always be second to her husband. Not really what I hope for in my daughter's life!

Awitchwithoutchips Thu 02-May-13 22:27:00

My dd2 is not a princess, she is nicknamed Vita Benita, a mixture of mafia don & dictator , her twin brother is her henchman, he does as he is told, poor thing. You are not allowed to call him by any nickname, he corrects you and tells you his name.

louisianablue2000 Thu 02-May-13 22:29:15

YANBU, I hate it. If anyone refers to the DDs as princesses i always tell the girls being a princess is crap because you always have to do what your father tells you. They are not impressed with that (poor DH!).

Binkybix Thu 02-May-13 22:29:18

I don't like it personally, and also have an irrational hatred of little man, not sure why. Each to their own though, not really a big deal.

pointythings Thu 02-May-13 22:29:47

My DDs are not princesses. They have been called many things in their time: Fiends, gargoyles, sausages, chops, creatures from the pit, monsters, demons and Evil McBad. Never princesses.

Strangely enough they seem to have thrived on all this.

ComposHat Thu 02-May-13 22:36:46

A degree from a top University?

She went to St Andrews (where the posh but thickies who couldn't get in at Durham and Bristol rock up) and studied the History of Art.

She never reallty gives the impression that there is much activity going on between the ears.

But YYANBU calling little girls Princesses is teeth gridingly awful.

DoctorRobert Thu 02-May-13 22:42:02

YANBU. My DD is also 2 and I could have written your post word for word.

I have a friend who talks about her DS on FB as her "little prince" - that makes me want to throw up as well.

ComposHat Thu 02-May-13 22:44:49

I find the practice of calling gentleman babies as 'l'il man' as equally revolting.

Especially as it a euphamism for a penis - 'taking the l'il man out' could cause mass alarm!

NurseRatchet Thu 02-May-13 22:45:27

Kate Middleton is not a princess. Any title that is ever bestowed on her will be by marriage anyway so she's not a great example. I'd be more impressed if she'd ever done anything with that degree of hers.

Athrawes Thu 02-May-13 22:48:25

DS = Little Princeling (if other people are in hearing range and he is being a spoilt PFB, ironic) or Monster Munch

OhHullitsOnlyMeYoni Thu 02-May-13 22:52:33

I hate the term Princess too. Why is it emblazoned on everything in pink?! Urgh. I tried to be quite gender neutral with colours for DD but have to admit that at 20mo her fave colour seems to be purple - 'pupple' which I can just about manage in small doses. I dread the age where they want to dress up as princesses though and intend to buy her a whole array of other outfits - mermaid/pirate/farmer/doctor etc that I have seen online. I was a tomboy though, so perhaps I have a hang up about pink from that.
I used to get annoyed when people would say "oh but she looks so girly and pretty in a dress, you should put her in them more" but have to admit that she does, as do all girls her age IMO, but I can damn well steer clear of the logos and gender biased piffle that seems to be rife.

Don't get me started! I detest the whole "Princess" thing, particularly those car signs with "Little Princess on Board" on them. FFS.

Athraweslike you, we call DS Little Prince when he starts to sound demanding, usually while bowing to him and apologising for the lack of velvet cushions.

scaevola Thu 02-May-13 23:02:17

Kate Middleton is a princess. She's Princess Wlliam of Wales (same patterns s Princess Michael of Kent). I can see why they didn't go for that style, especially as HMQ seems to like giving titles as wedding resents.

ComposHat Thu 02-May-13 23:02:20

"Little Princess on Board"

That's where Diana went wrong, if she had one of those stickers she'd still be with us today (giving Kate Middleton evils no doubt)

natwebb79 Thu 02-May-13 23:03:23

It's the 'princess on board' stickers that make me want to vom. grin

DonDrapersAltrEgoBigglesDraper Thu 02-May-13 23:26:26

YANBU.

DD is 2 and sometimes refers to herself as a princess. I just ignore it, rather than make a big deal out of it - she'll grow out of it!

As at the risk of incurring total wrath, I'm inclined to agree that it's a class thing. Social class since calling daughters 'princess' is very Dirty Den. But also intellectual class. As soon as people whip out the 'you're over-thinking it' <stick head in sand> line, you just know.

Some people like to think.

sooperdooper Thu 02-May-13 23:28:41

Agreeing the Princess on Board stickers, I just think 'huh, so what?' it's weird and makes no sense, why do people have them??

BeaWheesht Thu 02-May-13 23:33:20

I hate the little princess on board stickers - I've seen little prince ones too though.

I don't call my dd princess because I'd feel like I was doing a dirty den impression - she is usually munchkin, baby boo or chatterbox blush

Ds had a themed day at school today an every girl in his class was a princess which depressed me a wee bit, the boys were knights and kings. Dd is only 3 but would choose to be a knight just now I think and I hope she doesn't lose that independence really. She does like princess dresses too but prefers rough and tumble!

OhHullitsOnlyMeYoni Thu 02-May-13 23:35:54

Bea I think my DD would have loved to be a Knight! She just found Mike The Knight on cbeebies and does a very interesting dance to the music and calls out "Night night!" whenever it comes on.

Laquitar Thu 02-May-13 23:47:23

LOL and YY annunziata @ 20:56:56.

MummytoMog Fri 03-May-13 00:03:10

I thought that. Then DD announced she was a princess, refused to wear any colour but pink and started singing Disney. I imagine she'll grow out of it though, and I don't mind indulging it for a bit. I don't find it as annoying as 'little man' tbh.

iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii Fri 03-May-13 00:08:38

I really don't think it matters but I never used the term Princess myself.

Nicknames are not to be taken seriously.

I often abbreviated all my kids names then put Bob on the end. EG, Tom-Bob, Cal-Bob and Bell-Bob. blush. I still do this and my eldest is at Uni.

I also often add 'esky' to the end of their names. Giving them a Russian sounding name , Tom'esky, Cal'esky and Belly'esky.

Other nick names I have used include;
Sweet Pea
Chicken Nugget
Sweetie Pie
Pumpkin

I am not sure any of these names are much better than Princess.blush

Moknicker Fri 03-May-13 00:08:55

I was beaming (not so secretly) when DD threw a tantrum because she DIDNT want to be a princess but wanted to be a frog (for a board game).

But - when she asked me to draw a willy on her bottom, I was hmm - maybe I should encourage the princess malarkey.

Plus3 Fri 03-May-13 00:09:28

Nor is mine. she is a ninja.

IloveJudgeJudy Fri 03-May-13 00:11:48

Another "princess"-hating poster here, too. Really don't like it. DH called me it in a joke recently. I was quite surprised at the strength of my dislike for that word.

MammaTJ Fri 03-May-13 00:13:16

My DD1s name means 'precious Gem' (bet you can guess that one), my DD2s name means princess, which she is proud of.

Oh well, they are special to me and that is one of my ways of showing them.

You don't have to do that if you don't want to though. I won't dictate to you even though the mother of a princess is usually a queen.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now