My daughter is not a Princess!

(181 Posts)
DrSeuss Thu 02-May-13 20:09:04

Another reference on FB to a friend's "Little Princess.". Am I the only one who prefers to avoid this word? My two year old is bright, funny, cuddly, sometimes stroppy. I hope she grows up to be something that makes her happy, no idea what yet, just something she finds fulfilling. Why would I give her such an inane title? The Duchess of Cambridge, who I actually really like, has a degree from a top university. She now has no right to express an opinion and will always be second to her husband. Not really what I hope for in my daughter's life!

KingRollo Thu 02-May-13 20:21:32

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Doubtfuldaphne Thu 02-May-13 20:21:34

It is a bit annoying but not as bad as 'my sexy little man' and other horrible titles Ive seen parents give their children on Facebook. It's a bit degrading to the poor kids!

However my dd is only 26 months and puts things on her head (to make a crown) and calls herself a princess! I have no idea where she got it from. She does also promote herself to 'queen' regularly though.

5madthings Thu 02-May-13 20:21:39

Well my dd gets called princess. Infact she has a top a friend made for her that says "this princess is guarded by four big brothers" grin its the only clothing with 'princess' on that she has.

She is also a monkey, a monster a dinosaur, a cheeky chicken, a silly sausage, a wibbly jibbly girl, a merry mouse and ten million other nicknames.

I guess if you only referred to a child as a princess its not so great but meh its just another nickname to me and i call my children all number of things. Dd is 28mths and currently likes to be called dora...

usualsuspect Thu 02-May-13 20:21:46

My DC have been called all manner of nicknames.

YABU and a misery guts.

conantg Thu 02-May-13 20:22:13

YANBU. "Little princess" and "little prince" make my teeth itch.

DD likes to be a princess (I hate it). She likes to dress in her big dress, put on her jewels and tiara and then go rescuing princes. Because she only knows younger boys she thinks they must be protected and looked after because they are all little and delicate grin

thebody Thu 02-May-13 20:22:53

Breathe, that girl will go far.

Our lads are yogi and booboo and our girls are smudge and plop.

They all however like to be treated as royal!

zukiecat Thu 02-May-13 20:23:35

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

usualsuspect Thu 02-May-13 20:25:46

How can your teeth itch?

Hyperhelpmum Thu 02-May-13 20:27:37

About to get flamed but I think it's a class thing. No one I know calls their daughter princess, so naff. See Katie price choosing it as a first name as an example.

MommyBird Thu 02-May-13 20:28:56

My daughter's 3 and i call her Princess occasionally,
However she is far from it, she likes pirates, and trains..playing in mud..puzzles, skull and cross bones, jigsaws and anything that will make a mess.
She does call herself a Ballerina..and then she's a Nurse, she can be anything she wants, at the mo she's a footballer.
she does like pink tho! smile x

In my experience, parents who constantly (not occasionally) and fervently identify their daughters as princesses and encourage self-identification as such tend to be parents who want to give their DD's everything they want. When they want it.

And said DD's have a tendency to grow up into spoilt obnoxious Veruca Salt types.

It's an unpleasant but very real stereotype.

Wasn't directed at anyone on here zukie smile

usualsuspect Thu 02-May-13 20:29:59

Here we go with the bloody MN obsession with class.

CousinRachel Thu 02-May-13 20:31:42

Everything BunnyLebowski said.

YANBU op, it's vile.

IShallCallYouSquishy Thu 02-May-13 20:31:58

My 11mo DD is my little princess (though has NO clothes etc declaring it). She's also my snot face, stinky face, monkey, puppy, baby bear, turtle, squishy face.... You get the idea. It's only a phrase. Calm down!

CousinRachel Thu 02-May-13 20:32:09

And I do have a DD.

MortifiedAdams Thu 02-May-13 20:32:20

DD is not a Princess or an Angel. She gets her name or a nickname version of. Sometimes I call her something random like Snuggle Bot or some.other such nonsense.

I wouldnt use Prince or Devil either.

DrSeuss Thu 02-May-13 20:33:31

Could be worse, I suppose. A friend saw a child in a t-shirt reading "Future WAG.". Hello, I am defined only as an appendage to a man, I get attention because of who I sleep with. Just what I hope for for DD!

loofet Thu 02-May-13 20:34:01

Ugh I can't stand 'my little princess' or 'my prince charming' -shudder- I find it cringey, on a level with 'yummy mummy'. Yanbu.

Annunziata Thu 02-May-13 20:34:19

Yes, it's vile to call your children affectionate nicknames hmm

What utter nonsense, why get so hung up over a pet name? I call mine honey and chicken too. I don't think they're sticky clucky things.

usualsuspect Thu 02-May-13 20:34:33

It's just a term of endearment, it has no hidden meaning. Well not unless you post on MN and have to make a big deal out of everything.

DrSeuss Thu 02-May-13 20:35:09

Is scummy mummy ok? It's a fairly accurate description of me!

takeaway2 Thu 02-May-13 20:37:35

My dh called our dd 'come on my little princess...' And dd (2.5 years) turned to him and said 'I not princess daddy, I tiger!!! Roarrrrrr'. grin

Dogsmom Thu 02-May-13 20:38:18

There are much worse things to be called, it's just a term of endearment, it doesn't mean people think they really are members of the royal family.

Oh so because I call my daughter princess, I'm beneath some of you. Classy indeed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now