Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

My daughter is not a Princess!

(181 Posts)
DrSeuss Thu 02-May-13 20:09:04

Another reference on FB to a friend's "Little Princess.". Am I the only one who prefers to avoid this word? My two year old is bright, funny, cuddly, sometimes stroppy. I hope she grows up to be something that makes her happy, no idea what yet, just something she finds fulfilling. Why would I give her such an inane title? The Duchess of Cambridge, who I actually really like, has a degree from a top university. She now has no right to express an opinion and will always be second to her husband. Not really what I hope for in my daughter's life!

McNewPants2013 Thu 02-May-13 20:12:22

I alwas call my DD my little princess, because she is my little princess.

Annunziata Thu 02-May-13 20:12:48

My DDs are my princesses.

Little Lawyer or Little Brain Surgeon don't quite have the same ring to them.

Themobstersknife Thu 02-May-13 20:14:56

I never referred to DD1 as a princess, never dressed her up as a princess, never encouraged her to be a princess. At nearly 4 years old, all she wants to be is a princess!

GadaboutTheGreat Thu 02-May-13 20:15:12

I hate people calling my DD 'princess' - reinforcing ridiculous stereotypes hmm
YANBU

natwebb79 Thu 02-May-13 20:15:21

I'm with you OP. I'm not a fan of the 'little princess' thing either. It's never occurred to me to refer to my DS as my 'little prince'. But then we're a largely anti-monarchy household. grin

stargirl1701 Thu 02-May-13 20:15:28

Agreed OP. Not my DD, ever.

Belchica Thu 02-May-13 20:15:29

YABU to get upset for your 2 yr old who hasn't actually even been called a princess.

And the DOC may come second to William in public life...but I am quite sure in their personal life, behind closed doors, she has her say. She is bucking royal protocol and taking her baby home to her mother. That's a princess with punch!

catgirl1976 Thu 02-May-13 20:15:50

I don't have a DD but I think I would feel like you OP if I did

So YANBU

MamaBear17 Thu 02-May-13 20:16:00

My DD is her daddy's 'bear' and my little madam (or monster). It could be worse, my FIL calls her his 'pwincess' and that really drives me mad!

VodkaJelly Thu 02-May-13 20:16:14

My DD is only 4 months old and she is already "Daddys Princess and Mummys Princess". Dont see whats is wrong with it myself

LooseyMy Thu 02-May-13 20:17:05

It does make me feel nauseous when people call their daughters princesses.

Tenacity Thu 02-May-13 20:17:23

YABU.

'Princess' is a very much overrated term.

DD is never called a princess. Every now and then she declares "I'm a queen" so is clearly skipping the princess stage and going straight for the throne.

TwoCrazyKids Thu 02-May-13 20:18:02

Relax!!

She hasn't even been called princess!

I call my boys lots of different things, monkey's, snuggle monsters! I don't ACTUALLY think they are monkeys!

Tenacity Thu 02-May-13 20:18:02

I meant YANBU.

My DD is nobody's goddamn princess hmm

She's an intelligent and amazing human being with a wide and varied range of interests and preferences.

Not some mini pink-obsessed spoilt brat in training.

Princess my arse hmm.

scaevola Thu 02-May-13 20:18:35

Very Dirty Den.

zukiecat Thu 02-May-13 20:19:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

I understand your point but don't agree with it.

I've always called DD my little princess.

But I've also called the DSs my little princes.

I think you need to get the fuck over yourself, such a non issue, especially when it's not even your dd, its someone else and their child. Beak out.

IneedAyoniNickname Thu 02-May-13 20:19:45

My dad always called me his little princess. I have never thought I was, or wanted to be, a real princess. If I ever have a daughter, I will probably call her little princess.

squidlywidly Thu 02-May-13 20:19:59

I agree with you Seuss. I hate the little princess nickname that is brandished about. From what I have seen most of the "princesses" behave in a far from regal manner. I also dislike people using little prince or even little man for my son. He has a name, use it people... Especially you MIL.

stargirl1701 Thu 02-May-13 20:20:01

Bunny. Splendid post! grin

dunkedbiscuits Thu 02-May-13 20:20:36

My DS (3 next week) insists that he is a princess even when I try and tell him that boy princesses are princes. I am usually cast as the dragon (can you tell they did St George's Day stuff at nursery).

cathpip Thu 02-May-13 20:20:43

My daughter 2.3 is called pot belly Pippa or high maintenance madam, princess is not a term that would describe my dd and I doubt it ever will be!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now