To think they did this on purpose? PIL related

(303 Posts)
Dannilion Thu 02-May-13 16:01:24

Bit of background..

PIL's are shit with money. They have had failed business after failed business, declared themselves bankrupt, borrowed £££££'s from friends as investments, asked DH to launder money for them etc.

FIL is nice enough, just made some very silly decisions as well as being on the receiving end of some very bad luck. MIL are very different but get on on a surface level.

Anyways, a few months ago PIL's came round and asked if they could open a bank account in DH's name in order to receive their wages or something as due to their bankruptcy they were struggling with doing so. DH said no, as it was obviously illegal and he is also self employed and didn't want to be investigated. Also PFB was due and we were worried about the effect it would have on us when it came to claiming tax credits etc. Not that we should have had to have given a reason for not wanting to partake in this, but we had plenty.

Fast forward to them coming to visit the baby last week and bringing some letters for him that had arrived at their address. He gets the odd one every so often. He opens one and it's from Santander, thanking him for opening a new account. He never opened a new account with them, ever.

PIL's were very quick to say 'oh your father opened an account with them but they did it in the wrong name by accident, never mind all sorted now etc' and changed the subject.

I just can't see how a bank could open an account in the wrong name for someone who hasn't lived at that address in years. All his other mail comes here so if there is some sort of grand database it would had him at our home address surely?

I haven't broached this with DH yet as it would be devastating for him. But AIBU to think that they have probably gone ahead and opened a bank account in his name? Obviously if they have we will have to deal with it ASAP.

Your dh needs to phone Santander and ask about it. And then immediately close the account. You can put the money somewhere safe and quietly wait for the PILs to ask about it. At which point they better have a good explanation!

Although I would be worrying about what ID they used, and what else they've used it for.

Cravey Thu 02-May-13 16:36:56

I would be getting my dh to call the bank ASAP and get a credit check. It's not a mistake you and I both know that. In fact at the end of the day it's bloody fraud and if investigated later on then your dh will be dragged into it and asked why he allowed this to happen. I would also be asking the bank concerned how they managed to do this. It is very very hard to open a bank account nowadays unless you have birth certs proof of id etc. There is something not right here.

ImTooHecsyForYourParty Thu 02-May-13 16:37:56

He's still going to call them, even if she denies it though, isn't he?

Tailtwister Thu 02-May-13 16:39:35

Sounds very suspicious. Do you still have the letter? I would be tempted to get in touch with them to check what it's all about.

Cravey Thu 02-May-13 16:39:59

No point in asking the parents about it IMO if the bank had made a mistake then it's a bloody huge one that has long reaching implications in terms of credit score and fraud. Don't call his parents call the bank ASAP and see what's going on.

cozietoesie Thu 02-May-13 16:40:01

Dannilion

Your DH will be at pains to avoid thinking that his parents could involve him in fraud or put him in the deep doo doo. From what you've said though, they've likely acted completely callously and without thought for your family and where you might end up. In my book, that relieves you and him of filial obligations. You're going to need to be tough here.

myfirstkitchen Thu 02-May-13 16:40:34

As well as sorting this out you need to get any post in DH's name forwarded to your address.

Use the post they brought round and proof of current address. Nip any other accidents in the bud too.

http://www.royalmail.com/personal/receiving-mail/redirection

GettingObsessive Thu 02-May-13 16:40:56

It is possible to open Accounts online without taking ID into a bank - I've just done it (in my own name...)

ImtooHecsy I don't believe for one moment that they've done this because they can't get a bank account, they've done it to avoid the trustee in bankruptcy finding out about that account and those earnings. When the trustee finds out about this, which they will inevitably do, FIL is going to be in a LOT of trouble.

DH needs to nip this in the bud NOW.

EldritchCleavage Thu 02-May-13 16:41:02

Your PIL sound thoroughly dishonest, actually.

However reluctant your DH is to think badly of them, given their history I would say you need to speak to Santander urgently and do a full credit check. If they have opened the account your DH needs to act decisively so you don't suffer any adverse consequences.

sudaname Thu 02-May-13 16:42:48

Whatever they say l would go in Santander yourself and explain what you have on here and say although you appreciate data protection rules etc etc and they cant give you any feedback you want to make them aware that your DH lives with you and does not live at that address so any account opened at their address in his name is fraudulent. Or even write to them anonymously. I am sure they will look into it wherever the information comes from.
l wouldn't trust them as far as l could throw them by the sound of it.

ImTooHecsyForYourParty Thu 02-May-13 16:43:32

True.

Yet another reason for the OPs husband to sort it out and make it clear he was no part of it.

Cravey Thu 02-May-13 16:43:59

You can open bank accounts online that is true but it is very hard to open one with a new bank orin a new name. The op really does need to sort this ASAP there are so many implications re the law and fraud etc that its scary. I would imagine this has been done in some way to defraud someone or other as the parents are bankrupt etc.

Oh my god. You need to get on the phone now. The sooner you act, the sooner you are covered. You don't want anyone saying you are complicit because you didn't report it soon enough.

fuzzywuzzy Thu 02-May-13 16:44:53

Carry out a credit check on your names ASAP. Do it online with Experian it will show you what loans and bank accounts and other financial ties you currently have.

Ledkr Thu 02-May-13 16:47:00

Gish how awful what horrible pil.
Make mine look like the partridge family.

SmellsLikeTeenStrop Thu 02-May-13 16:49:27

Get on to Equifax and Experian ASAP. You can get a 30 day free trial where you can see your credit report. This may not be the first time they've used his details.

Zalen Thu 02-May-13 16:52:10

Whether it's a mistake or not, (and face it, if anyone here truly believes it was an accident I have a very nice bridge to sell you, Central London, great location) he still needs to contact Santander to sort it out, explain about the letter and raise hell that either someone has been able to fraudulently open an account in his name or that they have made such a huge error on a genuine application. It would be great if he were able to take the letter with him but I imagine your PIL have taken that away with them.

One thing another poster has written about closing the account and keeping any money from it until PIL ask about is obviously a bad idea. You want absolutely nothing to do with this account or any money that may be in it, the account has likely been opened fraudulently and he has to be very clear to the bank that the account is nothing to do with him so clearly he will have no right to any funds in the account.

LIZS Thu 02-May-13 16:53:44

How often do they visit your house , could they have taken any bills or unused cards ?

whattodoo Thu 02-May-13 16:55:54

I recently did a credit check on myself (for very boring reasons) and found a link through moneysaving expert.com which gave me £5 cash back for signing up.

But I must cancel my subscription within 30 days or I get charged a membership fee.

The site (can't recall if it were experian or Equifax) asks for all your previous addresses, so your DH could run a check including his parents' address.

Dannilion Thu 02-May-13 16:58:36

The credit check thing is a brilliant idea, are any of them instant or do they all require you entering a code they send in the post?

I vaguely recall having to wait 2 weeks for a bleedin' code once, and I don't feel we have 2 weeks to wait at the moment.

cozietoesie Thu 02-May-13 17:00:01

I don't know but I think it likely that they'll require a postal check via posted code.

whattodoo Thu 02-May-13 17:00:27

Did mine online. Took about 15 mins and I got an instant report that I could download/print.

cozietoesie Thu 02-May-13 17:00:37

If you report it as fraud though, the authorities would do it all for you.

knittingirl Thu 02-May-13 17:01:02

I did a credit check a couple of years ago, I think it was experian (although it could have been equifax) and it was instant.

cozietoesie Thu 02-May-13 17:01:17

Which one, whattodoo? (I had to await a code with Experian.)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now