Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To think they did this on purpose? PIL related

(303 Posts)
Dannilion Thu 02-May-13 16:01:24

Bit of background..

PIL's are shit with money. They have had failed business after failed business, declared themselves bankrupt, borrowed £££££'s from friends as investments, asked DH to launder money for them etc.

FIL is nice enough, just made some very silly decisions as well as being on the receiving end of some very bad luck. MIL are very different but get on on a surface level.

Anyways, a few months ago PIL's came round and asked if they could open a bank account in DH's name in order to receive their wages or something as due to their bankruptcy they were struggling with doing so. DH said no, as it was obviously illegal and he is also self employed and didn't want to be investigated. Also PFB was due and we were worried about the effect it would have on us when it came to claiming tax credits etc. Not that we should have had to have given a reason for not wanting to partake in this, but we had plenty.

Fast forward to them coming to visit the baby last week and bringing some letters for him that had arrived at their address. He gets the odd one every so often. He opens one and it's from Santander, thanking him for opening a new account. He never opened a new account with them, ever.

PIL's were very quick to say 'oh your father opened an account with them but they did it in the wrong name by accident, never mind all sorted now etc' and changed the subject.

I just can't see how a bank could open an account in the wrong name for someone who hasn't lived at that address in years. All his other mail comes here so if there is some sort of grand database it would had him at our home address surely?

I haven't broached this with DH yet as it would be devastating for him. But AIBU to think that they have probably gone ahead and opened a bank account in his name? Obviously if they have we will have to deal with it ASAP.

PeeJayEll Mon 06-May-13 18:45:32

Oh, this is absolutely dreadful for you all. Hope it's all sorted as soon as possible

Pendipidy Tue 07-May-13 21:21:01

Op , come back!

FrankellyMyDearIDontGiveADamn Wed 08-May-13 08:17:21

Any news?

Camwombat Wed 08-May-13 15:04:41

OP, where are you??????

cumfy Sun 12-May-13 23:50:17

Anything happen ?

Just dropped in to say I agree with K8 about contacting the bank first. They have huge departments dedicated to fraud as they have a duty to protect customer's and also their own reputation. I think it unlikely staff are involved - there are very heavy personal fines and jail time as deterrents! Also, if they opened a savings account or a basic account they may not have needed to show ID? Don't know all the details, but if no borrowing can happen then maybe this is the case?

I hope DH has called the fraud team back. Credit checks may not show anything yet other than a search under his name as it can take up to 6 weeks for the info to be updated.

What a horrible situation. Thank god your PIL were too stupid to keep the information to themselves though - if they had, you might never have found out.

suburbophobe Mon 13-May-13 02:15:46

I haven't broached this with DH yet as it would be devastating for him.

We're on page 12 now so this may have been resolved already, but what do you mean?

He didn't get it? That their parents went behind his back and opened an account in his name?

Whatever, you and him need complete clarity with each other and find out how you can stop his parents using him for their - basically - criminal activities.....

glastocat Mon 13-May-13 02:41:22

I'm an ex bank auditor, and K8middletons advice is spot on.

ChairmanMeoww Mon 13-May-13 21:10:43

K8 is spot on. Speaking as a senior financial crime employee at another bank.

CrapBag Mon 13-May-13 21:32:21

Just read this!

Bloody shocking. Hope you come back and update OP. And I hope the PIL think this was worth their family relationships. They are dreadful dreadful people.

Hi OP, any update? Did things get sorted?

buildingmycorestrength Sun 19-May-13 22:00:16

Also keen to know what happened?

lechatnoir Thu 23-May-13 20:25:23

just wondering if there has been any update on this thread?

buildingmycorestrength Wed 29-May-13 14:47:41

Danillion (OP) is back posting elsewhere. Wonder if she'll come back here...

mummymccar Sat 01-Jun-13 21:28:32

Hoping that it has gone quiet because all is well OP. x

quietlysuggests Sat 01-Jun-13 21:54:54

senior financial crime employee

That's the fanciest job title I have ever heard!
And I met a nuclear submariner!

Nah,i once met a 'chief inspirer' now that's a title

Sorry for being flippant Dannilion, you're in a tough spot.

Hope all has worked out and you sorted it without causing too much trouble for the in laws. However they may have deserved it.

SybilRamkin Thu 01-Aug-13 16:13:07

Just wondering about this thread, what happened OP?

nauticant Thu 08-Aug-13 13:54:30

Sadly, Dannilion was killed and eaten by her PILs who took over her MN account so they could post in her name so no one would ever know.

doorbellringer Thu 08-Aug-13 16:00:09

grin

doorbellringer Thu 08-Aug-13 16:02:12

Maybe MN opened the account under the wrong name but its all sorted now.
Sorry not being horrible to the OP just thought nauticant was amusing.

ImperialBlether England Thu 08-Aug-13 16:29:29

Oh no! I've just read all of this with horror for the poor OP and her husband, only to find it's an older thread with no conclusion!

riskit4abiskit Thu 08-Aug-13 17:03:47

I wanted to know too!

newbiefrugalgal Sat 24-Aug-13 11:45:36

Thought an update was here too!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now