to think we should be really freaked out,by all the arrests for sexual abuse of children????

(144 Posts)
Isiolo Thu 02-May-13 15:34:07

Firstly, I am not a 'paedophile on every corner' type of person. But I am wondering if actually, I should be??

Its a bit old news now, but more and more high profile celebs are being arrested for paedophilia in the 60s and 70s.

SO many people got away with it...for so long...Isnt this a sign that it is very widespread? and that it is pretty institutionalised??

Are celebreties more likely to be paedophiles than the rest of the population????

There doesnt seem to be much freaking out or outrage going on...I feel like there should be more

x2boys Thu 02-May-13 15:56:36

this whole corrie thing is a bit sick am i right in remembering that the actor who played len fairclough was accused and subsequently let go from corrie for allegations of child abuse i remember this because it was supposed to have happened in the swimming baths in bury where i was brought up he would have known william roache surely?

JamieandtheMagicTorch Thu 02-May-13 15:56:43

I'm also a child of the 70s. It is hard to remember how much society has changed.

I great festering boil has burst open.

And yet it still goes on in the home, mainly.

fromparistoberlin Thu 02-May-13 15:57:04

technically, are they paedophiles? anyway seen someone else has used this

I am NOT minimising what they did, but I do think we need to distinguish

the 70s were fucked up man

I am not worried, as know these days are kids are far safer

But my heart weeps for the victims

meddie Thu 02-May-13 15:57:32

I havent been following the Stuart Hall case, but he was always a bit slimy. Its weird isnt it, both he and JS gave me the creeps as a child and I could never understand why or their apparent media popularity (Rod hull and Emu too)

ReculverTowers Thu 02-May-13 15:58:57

My daughter is 13, she hasn't started her periods. Imo she is a child hmm

Tee2072 Thu 02-May-13 16:00:28

Who said she wasn't, Reculver?

ReculverTowers Thu 02-May-13 16:02:46

sorry that was in response to technically are they paedophiles

madhouse here smile

I just don't think anything should be minimised because these girls were teenagers, all teenage girls below consent age are children imo (some more than others)

Booyhoo Thu 02-May-13 16:05:49

what is the distinction between paedophilia and sex with an underage person? is their a specific age legally?

thebody Thu 02-May-13 16:06:27

Yes I agree. For a much older man to have sex with a 15 year old girl ( even consensual) I would consider him a paedophile.

My lads are 23 and 22 and would be disgusted even thinking of dating a girl under 16..

Isiolo Thu 02-May-13 16:06:30

no, not some more than others towers they are all children

Tee2072 Thu 02-May-13 16:07:47

Paedophilia is pre-pubescent so it's not a specific age as people go through puberty at different ages.

But 15 is almost certainly not pre-pubescent, for example, although not 100% guaranteed, would be very unusual.

CashmereHoodlum Thu 02-May-13 16:08:15

It's not minimising, it is using the correct terms. Paedophilia is not the correct term for the abuse of a post-pubescent child.

TigerSwallowTail Thu 02-May-13 16:08:43

Are celebreties more likely to be paedophiles than the rest of the population?

I don't think they are, I think they're more likely to get more media attention though and maybe that's why it seems like they're more likely to be paedophiles.

Tee2072 Thu 02-May-13 16:09:26

Oh and I'm not minimizing anything. It's disgusting along with the 'well, it was the 70s' attitude that's still being bandied about.

My own husband said that the other night and I laid into him.

It was dirty old men (and yes, if you're 30 and fucking a 15 year old, you're a dirty old man) doing whatever the hell they wanted and damn the consequences or the girls feelings or anything else.

ReculverTowers Thu 02-May-13 16:09:36

Yes I do agree Isolo, I was just thinking of those with LDs who are more at risk of abuse. But you are quite right

scaevola Thu 02-May-13 16:09:48

Well, I assume that a 9 year old is prepubescent, which makes paedophile the accurate term for Hall.

meddie Thu 02-May-13 16:09:52

Its a technical point mainly reculver Paedophilia is attraction to pre pubescent children.
Attraction to a child and attraction to a sexually mature but underage girl are slightly different, the former is a recognised psychological disorder. While the latter is slimy and abusive and pretty disgusting, but the motivation for it is different.

Tee2072 Thu 02-May-13 16:10:14

No, not more likely to be paedophiles, but more likely to have young girls around and teenagers 'worshipping' them.

ReculverTowers Thu 02-May-13 16:11:05

wrt to paedophilia, if a girl is 15 and has LDs and has the mental age of a 9 yr old, what is it classed as then?

x2boys Thu 02-May-13 16:12:37

i dont think its specific booyhoo but if a 15 yr old girl is dating a 17 yr old boy[ which happened with my neice ] and they had sex i think its very different to a 15 yr old having sex with a man in his twenties or older i,m not saying i condone underage sex but it can happen with teenagers and i dont think it would/should make the teenage boy a paedophile if you see what i mean.

Tee2072 Thu 02-May-13 16:13:44

Sex with an under-age person, Reculver. It has nothing to do with mental age and everything to do with biological age.

Booyhoo Thu 02-May-13 16:14:06

my mum would have been a teen from 1968-1973. her periods started just before she turned 16 and she told me that was the same for most of her friends. i know i have heard stuff about girls starting puberty earlier with each generation. i was 12 and i have young cousins who started at 8/9 years old. i wonder if legally there neds to be a change in when it stops being paedophilia. at 8/9 they are still definitely children but if periods have started does that mean it's not paedohilia?

Isiolo Thu 02-May-13 16:16:12

my 7 year old is showing signs of starting puberty
My friends dd has had pubic hair from the age of 8

I dont know the technicalities of the terms. But it seems irrelevant when you are talking about children confused

ReculverTowers Thu 02-May-13 16:16:42

is it to do with biological age or puberty? confused as I said my dd is 13 and hasn't gone through puberty, is she still more of a child (she is btw she has the mental age if a 4 yr old which is why I asked what the law states) I find it frightening how vulnerable she is anyway

Isiolo Thu 02-May-13 16:18:28

i was having sex at age 15. I was a late starter compared with my peers. Non of us were having consensual sex with older men

I think you can get all tied up in technicalities; when the reality of what it is is actually blindingly obvious?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now