Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To think it's ridiculous to get a tattoo of your partners name/initials

(33 Posts)
AnneNonimous Thu 02-May-13 11:12:12

And stinks of insecurity?

I am 21 and know a lot of people my age who have their partners names tattooed on their body. Most of them are broken up now. The whole idea makes me feel a bit uncomfortable - almost like you're branding yourself his/her property.

I don't want this to be a tattoo bashing thread at all, I love tattoos and have a few myself. But I just don't see why anyone feels the need to do this?

Branleuse Thu 02-May-13 17:06:56

i have my dps name on my hip. I am well insecure and a bit chavvy scum though innit.

YOUR tattoos on the other hand are completely classy AND you are a better person than I.

Shellywelly1973 Thu 02-May-13 16:49:30

I haven't got a tattoo nor has dp.

Im not brave enough& would probably change my mind about it after a few days!

My best friends dh has her face tattooed on his lower arm. Its very well done, they've been together for 17 years!

Pobblewhohasnotoes Thu 02-May-13 15:21:03

Is it so you don't forget what their name is?

Just quickly check before filling in forms etc.

MansView Thu 02-May-13 14:52:01

yes, or someone like tyrone... smile

pickledginger Thu 02-May-13 14:40:11

Statistically you'd want to pick something popular. In 20 years Amelia would be a good choice.

Yakare Thu 02-May-13 14:37:31

YANBU. But people are daft. It's what makes life so amusing.

loofet Thu 02-May-13 14:34:49

Perhaps its ok with a long term partner or your dw/dh... But I personally wouldn't. Not keen on name/initial tattoos anyway, I think it's much better to get something to represent the person.

Missymoo That really made me laugh. If he carries on he'll end up with a body full of dogs grin

HairyGrotter Thu 02-May-13 14:04:03

Not something I'd do, even my child's name I wouldn't have tattooed on me. I have a tattoo in honour of her (2 actually), but never her name. I wouldn't have a lovers name on me either

Each to their own smile

Still18atheart Thu 02-May-13 13:59:27

A friend decided to ink their oh's name on their butt. They split up 2 months later.

My sisters ex bf had her name tattooed the width and length of his forearm.

Lol'd.

Samu2 Thu 02-May-13 13:11:54

I am not a chavvy or scummy either.

Samu2 Thu 02-May-13 13:10:13

I have my husband's name on my ring finger. I hate wearing rings.

I am not insecure and I still love the tat.

I know a bloke (now in his 50's) who tattooed his girlfriends name on his arm at 18...he broke up with her and she married his brother. So he now has his SIL's name on his arm. It always amuses me.

Each to their own.

GetOrfMoiLand Thu 02-May-13 12:27:42

Norma - that just made me really laugh. grin

I don't care for tattoos personally but I think the popularity of them means they are not as shocking as they used to be - I am a civil servant and imagine that 10 years ago it would have been rare to have a colleague with visible tattoos and facial piercings etc, nowadays nobody bats an eyelid. Even facial tattoos are not as verboten as they used to be. I wouldn't have one but I wouldn't be as daft as to call someone chav scum.

babyfirefly1980 Thu 02-May-13 12:24:34

I don't care if people don't like tattoos..fair enough, but resorting to calling people 'chav scum' is just pathetic.

FlightyAphrodite Thu 02-May-13 12:18:53

I'm on the fence. I think it is daft after a couple of weeks, but who am I to judge how long a relationship is likely to last? You have to start somewhere, and even people who have been together 30 years split up.

I want my OH's name tattooed on me, and I'd like him to have mine on him. Don't know if it will ever happen. Tats are expensive, we both had ours done before we had a family and responsibility and all that grown up stuff.

MrsLettuce Thu 02-May-13 12:15:32

I'm not against tattoos at all, although I don't have any (yet?), but name tattoos do show a profound lack of imagination, IMHO.

I live in a 'council house' which is privately rented, don't class myself as 'chav scum' though, far from it.

SantanaLopez Thu 02-May-13 12:11:29

The bloke I know has it on his arm- it genuinely looks like a reminder grin It's not even in a nice font. 12 pt Baskerville.

(lovely guy, btw, great fun, but bad tattoo).

Yoghurty Thu 02-May-13 12:06:01

Santana- I also know someone who has his own name tattooed (in large script, on his neck confused)

Almost like a name tag, so he doesn't forget wink

SantanaLopez Thu 02-May-13 11:59:13

Meh. I know someone with his own name tattoed on himself (yes, really), anything else looks quite sane in comparison!

VinegarTits Thu 02-May-13 11:56:17

'totally council house chav scum imo...'

nice bit of intelligent stereotyping there hmm

YABU, live and let live

ENormaSnob Thu 02-May-13 11:53:31

Well mansview, we are working class and possibly a little bit chav but we are middle earners and have a mortgaged 4 bed detached in a very nice location so your theory is pretty flawed.

Not that I really give a shit.

I've got dps initials on my arse but we weren't a couple at the time it was just a bet smile he has my name and our sons name on his arms from when i had ds.

I do hate the proper ''oh he'll not leave me/cheat on me/treat me badly'' type crap just because some silly wee lassie has her lad of 2 months name on her neck/wrist etc. that does scream insecurity to me.

babyfirefly1980 Thu 02-May-13 11:49:41

I Have DH's name in a very pretty design....oh and thanks mansview but I don't live in a council house, I'm not a chav or scum either but keep up your nasty prejudiced little comments to make you feel good about your pathetic self!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now