Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

the consequences of not going to Saturday School.

(115 Posts)

not necessarily an AIBU but as I posted about Saturday School in this topic, I thought i would post the consequence of mine and DS stand against school pressure in here.

Obviously the ENTIRE year went to the 2 SATurday School events, except my son of course, and a great fuss was made over the huge success of the event in the newsletter. All fine, blow your trumpet. I have a happy DS who doesn't feel pressured.

Until this morning. he'd forgotten to do his homework, so panic mode kicked in, as he can't possibly let down his teacher. He does acknowledge that doing homeowrk 10 mins before he's due to leave is not acceptable but HE HAS TO GET IT DONE BECAUSE HE WILL HAVE TO STAY IN TO DO IT!! (capitals are to demonstrate the importance he has placed on this piece of homework)

All is fine until he reaches calculating probability, he knows what it is but doesn't know how to calculate it, it was shown in SATurday School.
This question I can help him with, so he calms down a little.

NExt question involves a table, a spinner and estimating the probabilty of the spinner landing on particular section when only spun once. 3 marks, so it must be a complicated answer, Cue melt down. This was also taught in SATurday school.

In fact most of his maths homework, relates to what the children have been taught at SATurday school. So I now have a distressed 11year old because he doesn't know how to do stuff because he hasn't been taught because he didn't go to fuckin SATurday school. He has now decided he is a failure.

It seems that SATurday school wasn't just about priming them for passing the SATs but was also to teach them extra bits.

Fuckin SATs, fuckin SATurday School and fuckin School. This is my 3rd DC to go through SATs and he is the first to be put under stress for something that doesn't fuckin matter.

I am now calm, writing it down does help, doesn't it?

DioneTheDiabolist Thu 02-May-13 19:14:34

OP, how do you know this was taught at Saturday class if your DS didn't attend?confused

SneezySnatcher Thu 02-May-13 18:45:02

I really think you need to clarify whether the extra classes were to cover new information (unlikely IMHO) or to revise topics covered previously before you go in all guns blazing. I think it's very unlikely that your DS won't have covered probability before in earlier years. It is much more likely that he's forgotten he's done it before (understandable with the amount of curriculum content and the way units are spaced out).

My school has (differentiated) weekly 'booster' classes after school in the few weeks before SATs. These are not to cover new information, but to refresh the children's knowledge of topics they have covered a while ago, or may not have grasped first time. This does benefit the school, who obviously want the children to do well, but also the children who have their understanding developed in smaller, more focused groups.

Please be aware that the teachers probably don't get paid for this and would definitely rather be at home with their families.

FourLittleDudes Thu 02-May-13 18:06:05

My 10 year old has been stressed over his upcoming SATs, but I've told him they don't matter, so don't stress about it and to just do his best. He won't look back in 10 years time and wish he had got a better grade at 10 years old. I think its far to much pressure to put a child under and haven't decided yet whether keep him home during the exams. His teacher unofficially agrees with me. He has some Specific Learning Difficulties (Dyslexia) and struggles enough at the best of time with out being made to feel like a failure when his marks come back.

lljkk Netherlands Thu 02-May-13 17:53:43

Ghastly story, but this is part I don't get:

"Its the HT that has set the homework, she's the one thats pushing for some of the children to pass their level 6 maths....she has spent the past couple of years getting the standards back up, so increased pass rates in the SATs ups the standing in the league tables. "

If Saturday school must be pushed (obviously stupid idea imho, but never mind) then it should be encouraged most to the children who are at danger of not scraping a level 4 or maybe not scraping a level 5, no? Because headline rate is the L4 passes, isn't it? Or L5+ pass rates, but I'm not sure the info on L6 passes is available easily (is it?). Also, only like 3% of children pass L6 for English & 0.5% for maths, so putting so much energy into possible L6 is crazy. I just don't understand how pushing L6 is likely to be a successful strategy.

Do you know any stats, OP, about how many children at this school gained L4/L5/L6 last year? Are you in an area with especially high KS2 SAT results, does the school compare badly to neighbours? (I mean really badly, not just a bit below group average but obviously well below). Is the school underfunded because it's undersubscribed? Else why care so much about the league tables?

SuffolkNWhat Thu 02-May-13 17:27:32

As a former teacher I don't think these classes are for the children's educational behefit at all. They're about league tables, Ofsted and covering the HT's arse.

I also think it's quite possible the teachers didn't want to run them either.

^^this

ilovesooty Netherlands Thu 02-May-13 17:19:03

As a former teacher I don't think these classes are for the children's educational behefit at all. They're about league tables, Ofsted and covering the HT's arse.

I also think it's quite possible the teachers didn't want to run them either.

UtterflyButterfly Thu 02-May-13 17:13:02

binky what a nightmare. I'm so pleased I don't have children in education any more, the pressures on them are ridiculous at this age. It doesn't benefit the children, it's just to try to make the schools look better in the league tables. When they're 22 and just graduated, they're hardly likely to look back and say, 'Thank god I got a level 6 in English when I was 11, or where would I be today' are they?

My daughter was in the first year that were given SATs (I am that old) and it was sold to us as a measurement of the school not the child.

It was to make sure that the children on the whole, were learning the right stuff, and the league tables reassured prospective parents that the school provided a good learning environment.

Why is it now an assessment of each individual child? My youngest' s school is SATs mad through April and May (although no Saturday schooling has been offered - the parents round here would tell them they could fuck right off grin )

Sirzy Thu 02-May-13 16:44:22

Learning has to be fun. There is lots to show that children (speaking generally of course) don't learn well learning by rote, they learn by doing and engaging in their learning.

MummytoKatie Thu 02-May-13 16:41:02

But learning is fun. Otherwise what's the point? Ok - revision can only be made tolerable with large amounts of cake but the original learning should be enjoyable. There is no way I would have the career I have now if I hadn't enjoyed learning. Getting to this point would have been unbearable.

What a ridiculous thing to say pickled

Honestly, good luck to you if you value SATS and extra work for them works for your children. I don't agree. But I understand a lot of people do. And that they rate their importance above other things.

I have given my opinion. You clearly don't want a debate or a sensible conversation about it. Fine.

valiumredhead Thu 02-May-13 16:21:44

I remember your other thread OP.

SATS are shit. FWIW I think you made the right decision

pickledginger Thu 02-May-13 16:19:43

No. i've decided not to bother doing anything extra for them as it's not compulsory. Surely they get enough stimulation in school.

OpheliasWeepingWillow Thu 02-May-13 16:10:00

Not 1882 grin I'm mid 30s.

My school was super strict and there was a lot of prep. GCSEs were a doddle though given all the homework and emphasis on rote learning. I'm grateful they didn't try and make learning 'fun'. Ick. I like structure now smile

And I did manage to have a life besides school grin

MummytoKatie Thu 02-May-13 15:28:07

Ophelia - Were youborn in 1822? Why in the world we're you given a weekend to learn all the tables forwards and backwards? That was a daft way of teaching - tables should be built over time with understanding.

I still know all mine (in fact I can do all the way up to 25 * 25 without really having to think) but learnt them nice and stress free.

When I was 11 I spent my Saturdays racing from gym to drama to swimming. At that age dh had already started spending competing at a sport internationally so would spend his Saturdays training. Didn't stop us getting into Oxbridge. Working hard is important but not to that extent at age 11.

Wibblypiglikesbananas Thu 02-May-13 15:20:28

I posted on your previous thread and am still 100% behind you. What kind of school is so badly organised that core elements of the curriculum have to be taught at the weekend?! You have no obligation to send your child to school outside school time. The school does have an obligation to teach your son what he needs to know during school hours - not panicky extra make up classes as they haven't covered what they needed to.

Given all this hassle, I'd be tempted to take your son out of school for SATS week. It's as though people have forgotten that learning should be fun, a mind broadening experience - not a tool to improve the results of a power crazed head who clearly couldn't organise herself and her staff properly over the course of the last year.

edwardsmum11 Thu 02-May-13 15:20:22

It just shows it is a crappy that can't complete all work in five days imo. Sats are stupid for 11 yr olds tbh.

Fillyjonk75 Thu 02-May-13 15:19:07

To NOT put him in, duh.

Fillyjonk75 Thu 02-May-13 15:18:38

Will his SATS scores actually make any difference to him in the long run - i.e. is he going to try and get into an acedemically selective school? What do SATS actually matter except to the school itself?

Sounds like a big pile of bunk and YANBU to put him in Saturday school.

Cherriesarelovely Thu 02-May-13 15:15:23

I'm really happy to say that most of our parents are more worried about their children being put under undue pressure. They know we have taught them well, they know their children will do their best.

Cherriesarelovely Thu 02-May-13 15:13:42

This is horrible. I hate SATs. Our parents would do their nuts if we suggested anything like that. Yes, they are doing some SATs revision in class for the next few weeks but Saturday school as well.....it's too much.

ReculverTowers Thu 02-May-13 15:13:33

My son school doesn't have SAT her day school but I am increasingly incensed by the amount of pressure he is being put under to do well this year (6)
he is a bright boy, i wish they would leave him alone

But yoni thats different. Thats something that you want to do, that you feel is beneficial to your children all year round.

Not 2 weeks in order to try and scrape a better level on SATS

A lot of parents I am sure decide they would like their dcs to have extra schooling. But theres a reason for that. This is because the school want good results for the league table.

YoniFoolsAndHorses Thu 02-May-13 15:05:25

My children do Saturday school from age 8 to 12, 2 out if every 3 Saturday through term time.

I pay a lot in schools fees - and I am thrilled that this extra teaching time is there as it means a lot more curriculum time in the week (and tons of time for extra games and PE and art, etc).

But they upside is, they don't bother with a SATS or 'levels' at all. Nada. And while I am a bit hmm about THIS Saturday bring a school day, with it being a BH weekend, it's probably worth it.

Btw, we have tons and tons of family time - that's not restricted to weekends. Does nobody of here work on a Saturday???!

Tbh, I'd send him. Not for sats. But for education!

SuffolkNWhat Thu 02-May-13 14:52:32

SATs, quite frankly, mean jack shit in real terms. I say that as a teacher.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now