the consequences of not going to Saturday School.

(115 Posts)

not necessarily an AIBU but as I posted about Saturday School in this topic, I thought i would post the consequence of mine and DS stand against school pressure in here.

Obviously the ENTIRE year went to the 2 SATurday School events, except my son of course, and a great fuss was made over the huge success of the event in the newsletter. All fine, blow your trumpet. I have a happy DS who doesn't feel pressured.

Until this morning. he'd forgotten to do his homework, so panic mode kicked in, as he can't possibly let down his teacher. He does acknowledge that doing homeowrk 10 mins before he's due to leave is not acceptable but HE HAS TO GET IT DONE BECAUSE HE WILL HAVE TO STAY IN TO DO IT!! (capitals are to demonstrate the importance he has placed on this piece of homework)

All is fine until he reaches calculating probability, he knows what it is but doesn't know how to calculate it, it was shown in SATurday School.
This question I can help him with, so he calms down a little.

NExt question involves a table, a spinner and estimating the probabilty of the spinner landing on particular section when only spun once. 3 marks, so it must be a complicated answer, Cue melt down. This was also taught in SATurday school.

In fact most of his maths homework, relates to what the children have been taught at SATurday school. So I now have a distressed 11year old because he doesn't know how to do stuff because he hasn't been taught because he didn't go to fuckin SATurday school. He has now decided he is a failure.

It seems that SATurday school wasn't just about priming them for passing the SATs but was also to teach them extra bits.

Fuckin SATs, fuckin SATurday School and fuckin School. This is my 3rd DC to go through SATs and he is the first to be put under stress for something that doesn't fuckin matter.

I am now calm, writing it down does help, doesn't it?

INeedSomeSun Thu 02-May-13 09:57:50

Don't you want your child to do well?
Its only 2 weekends, right?
I think UABU - the school is trying to improve standards and possibly teaching extra things, so that your child can do well. I would jump at the chance and as your child was the only one who didn't attend in the whole year, doesn't that tell you something?

pickledginger Thu 02-May-13 09:58:39

Basically, if you've got teachers in at the weekend to cover academic stuff then it's worth attending. They're not doing it because they can't think of anything better to do on a Saturday.

Sirzy Thu 02-May-13 09:59:02

Revision classes are one thing but they shouldn't be covering new topics

pickledginger Thu 02-May-13 10:00:15

If, as a teacher posted earlier, it is on the Y5 curriculum then it wasn't actually new.

Xmasbaby11 Thu 02-May-13 10:01:19

YABU. He should go. It sounds like he'll be at a disadvantage otherwise.

echt Thu 02-May-13 10:01:58

If the school can only cover the required curriculum with extra lessons then the teachers aren't much cop. I'd be challenging them on exactly that point.

Improving SATs scores is not improving standards. No secondary school takes them seriously, and precisely because of the hot-housing by primaries. So they have to re-test those poor children.

raspberryroop Thu 02-May-13 10:02:22

11 is too young to decide what is appropriate educationally, 2 Saturday's is hardly a lifetime. You made a mistake not making him go and are no being unreasonable about it.

spottyparrot Thu 02-May-13 10:11:32

I think you should have sent him to the Saturdays. Sounds like most children went and I'm sure your ds would have been fine once he got there with his friends.

I am astonished that you allowed an 11yo to make this decision and even more astonished that you are now complaining about some pretty straightforward and predictable consequences.

The school were trying to help with SATs. You declined the help. You were obstinate for no good reason and could have reasoned with your ds or offered him a treat for sitting through Saturday school. But you actively chose to resist and in dong so you increased your ds's stress levels.

I'm not really sure what sort of replies you are looking for. That the school is evil? Teachers are bastards?

Lovecat Thu 02-May-13 10:19:04

I thought the whole point of SATs was to identify how well children were learning and what areas they need support in? (DD goes to private where they don't do them, so forgive me if I'm wrong)

So this idea of cramming for tests seems entirely counterproductive. I appreciate that many people judge the worth of a school by the pass rate, but again, this is surely dependent upon the calibre (for want of a better word) of the pupils and their home environments and cramming can only do so much (and cause them unecessary stress)? It seems to me that SATS are almost being used as a punishment for pupils, rather than a learning aid...

If you can confirm with the class teacher that they haven't covered these subjects in Monday-Friday classes, I would be making a complaint - if it's the Head that's pushing this through then to the Governors or the LEA/Ofsted.

YANBU, OP, I would be furious in your shoes and I wouldn't be sending DD to the Saturday school either. Not unless I wanted to turn my child off learning for good... weekends are for downtime.

SantanaLopez Thu 02-May-13 10:19:05

YABU. It's not a surprising consequence to skipping a class.

He's 11, I'm quite sure most 11 year olds would chose not to go. You should have been a parent not a friend.

I'm pretty sure the last thread was mainly people telling you not to send him.

I was one of them and I think you made the right decision.

Whilst probability is covered in the year five curriculum, I would imagine not to the level 6 standard that you have previously mentioned that the head is pushing for. My understanding is that level 6 is at that stage and additional exam and requires additional information onto what has previously been done.

I personally would buy one of those revision guide text book things for the level 6 maths and check that he knows certain topics or use it to help you with homework. I wouldn't be doing revision as such but I'd get him to have a flick through and any areas he had an issue with I would help him work on. Only for his peace of mind.

My own opinion would be its the SATs, and I couldn't care less what the marks are.

knittingirl Thu 02-May-13 10:20:49

Did they learn the extra stuff on the SATurdays which would enable them to pass the level 6 paper, or did they learn stuff they would need for the normal level 3-5 paper? If the former, then I don't see a problem - it's not essential for it to have been taught in class normally as its only needed for the extra paper. If the latter, then I think it should have been covered in normal class time, like in all the other schools which don't get their kids in for extra saturday tuition.

livinginwonderland Thu 02-May-13 10:22:43

he CHOSE not to go

so? he's 11. i chose not to do a lot of things at 11, i still had to do them!

pickledginger Thu 02-May-13 10:23:04

grin Only on MN would people be complaining about extra teaching time.

Fakebook Thu 02-May-13 10:27:21

Since when do children make their own decisions? My dd says she wants to wear her tutu to school everyday, but I don't let her, regardless of her making the "decision".

YABU for not sending him. You are also U for not making sure his homework is done on time and letting him do it 10 mins before leaving for school.

Picturesinthefirelight Thu 02-May-13 10:27:57

I remember your original thread and I was one of those who said don't send him

I have a year 6 dd. she dances on acsaturday. Missing dance would mean she won't get to perform in the two big shows coming up.

I would be seriously seriously considerin g withdrawing my child if this was what she had got between now and the end of may it whenever the sats are

It makes me mad.

Picturesinthefirelight Thu 02-May-13 10:29:19

Talking about discriminatory what about children with split families who maybe downs weekends with the NRP and may not be in the area on a weekend.

Totally wrong.

Startail Thu 02-May-13 10:39:23

It's neither here nor there who decided not to go to.

Saturday SATs classes the point is compulsory, teaching work need for the main KS2 L3-L5 paper should not be happening.

DD2 did entirely optional after school, L6 classes, which were a waste of time because the moved the pass mark way out of her reach, but that's another thread.

The OP and her DS are totally correct that he should not be expected to attend a state school on a Saturday just because the school is afraid of Ofsted. If the teachers were doing their jobs right it would not be necessary.

Nor should any school feel under pressure to make DCs try for L6 (which is the expected level for a reasonable Y8, average Y9) unkess they want to.

pickledginger Thu 02-May-13 10:44:18

Damn them, they're making them learn.

allnewtaketwo Thu 02-May-13 10:46:00

But even in that case Startail - the OP/her son, whatever, made a free choice not to attend. As was her/his right. But every decision has consequences. Now the OP is stressed about the consequences confused.

didoreth Thu 02-May-13 10:49:51

Wtf is happening in primary education these days? I wouldnt dream of sending my child to school on a Saturday, but I wouldn't have worried about the homework either - just tell them you dont want him to have homework, its ridiculous at that age.

Startail Thu 02-May-13 10:51:28

My DD is also in a dance show and she would have refused to go to school on Saturdays this term.

It is quite simply out of order.

Children and families are being made to give up their free simply to allow HTs to keep their jobs.

Sadly, given the Ofsted induced resignations at the DDs secondary, it isn't even only bad HTs and governors who are being forced out, simply those who don't ruin children's childhoods chasing the impossible dream that all schools should be better than average confused

Clearly, as all schools cannot be better than average, it is Mr. Gove who needs to go to Saturday maths school!

echt Thu 02-May-13 10:53:25

No, if the school is teaching skills/knowledge out of hours that can only be accessed at that time, then they're fecking useless teachers.

allnewtaketwo Thu 02-May-13 10:58:19

"just tell them you dont want him to have homework, its ridiculous at that age"

The child is 11 confused. My 4 yo gets homework 3 or 4 times a week, plus a reading book every night.

Startail Thu 02-May-13 11:01:29

There are always consequences to standing up for what is right, that is why schools get away with this sort of rubbish. They make 10-11yo feel guilty.

The OP has to make it clear to her DS that this is not his fault and that like as not his exact SATs mark won't matter to him beyond Xmas of Y7 anyway. Most secondary schools know how hard DCs are being coached and readjust setting on their own testing pretty quickly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now