AIBU to think things are just not "nice" anymore

(33 Posts)
Havingamadmoment Thu 02-May-13 08:13:28

Dh and I have been lucky the last few years all the talk of financial problems etc just haven't affected us. We live in a sort of bubble really, self employed in a business that hasn't been affected and I know we have been very lucky so I'm putting that disclaimer first since this is AIBU after all!
I also don't know that much about politics , I vote but I don't get heavily involved so this isn't about that.

However, the last year especially it just feels like the world is now unfriendly, I have been verbally abused on buses for having too many children, I have had had terrible service from people on officialdom , there seems to be a undercurrent of unpleasantness which I hadn't noticed before.

Is the world more unfriendly now or am I just getting old?

averywoomummy Thu 02-May-13 14:05:33

I think you are right. I was only thinking about this the other day. I think people have generally become much less "giving" not just financially but also their time, patience etc.

I volunteer for a local playgroup and 6 years ago when I joined everyone took it in turns to help set up/tidy etc. Now we really struggle for volunteers and all the mums just leave at the end. They can't even be bothered to throw away their coffee cups - just leave them lying around. The same with our NCT - everyone was always really keen to help and now it's a struggle.

I think that when things are going well (as they were before 2008) you feel like you want to give something back and maybe if people are not worrying about jobs/finances they have the time and energy to do so - but now things are bleaker people seem to not be so bothered or maybe they can't face it. It's really sad.

I would say yes you are right but my faith in humanity was restored just lately thanks to two lovely girls from London.
Was on the tube and the doors closed before my dh & dc could get on, i don't live in London and it was a very frightening experience for me. But these two girls calmed to down and got of the train with me and helped me contact my dh.
But overall the above isn't an overall description of the public of late, unfortunetly.

People have watched me struggle folding my pram with shopping on the bus whilst tutting at me and whilst the driver started to speed off.
People don't hold doors open much anymore.
Please and thankyou seems to have gone out the window, especially at the school gates when i have let others past.

I think the best thing we can do as people is be polite and kind ourselves and hope to gain the same in return.

WilsonFrickett Thu 02-May-13 14:20:19

Set up a media culture where people are encouraged to think that the old, the disabled, the forrin, the benefits claimants, the poor, the ones with more than 1 kid have more than 'you' have - and this is what happens. YANBU

TigerseyeMum Thu 02-May-13 16:02:02

Exactly ^^

Hate crime against any type of disability is at record levels. Lead by a culture of negative stereotyping and pitting social 'groups' against one another. People are resorting to that last retreat of Toryism, making sure you're alright and trampling over others to get what you need. Saw it under Thatcher, her policies influence today's policies and the attitude is back.

Isiolo Thu 02-May-13 16:04:25

'There is no such thing as society'

forevergreek Thu 02-May-13 16:11:27

I can't say I have noticed an increase in particular.

We are in c London, every day cars stop for us, bus drivers wait, people on tubes give up seat for toddlers. Old folk comment on good behaviour, or laugh and reminis about bad. Doors are held open, and children welcomed into restaurants.

Sure te occasional person, but hasn't there always been

ThingsThatMakeYouGoHmmmmmmmmm Thu 02-May-13 16:17:20

It's the Mail and the Cutz, I tell you...... hmm

needaholidaynow Thu 02-May-13 16:21:40

There are some nasty, intolerant, rude, selfish and unpleasant people out there, you're right. There is absolutely no need for it at all.

I find the school playground bitchiness unnecessary. I actually look forward to my children's school days and won't let anyone ruin it for me. I just cannot understand the need to be so nasty to other parents.

There was a woman on the bus the other day, in her late 50s early 60s I would say, and she sat down across the aisle from a youngish woman sat at the front. The young woman sat at the side of her was sat on the outside seat and window seat next to her was free. When another lady got on the bus, the older woman snapped at the younger woman and told her to move for the lady getting on the bus. Didn't even give her a chance. Her attitude was appalling and she was glaring at me the whole time we were on the bus (probably because I dared to go on a bus with the pram) grin

So yeah, a lot of unprovoked, chip on your shoulder type snappiness from some people that there really is no need for.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now