Ice cream van outside school

(119 Posts)
Yamyoid Wed 01-May-13 20:04:11

Aibu to be pissed off about the ice cream van parking right outside the school gates?
Would it bu to complain to the council?

LaGuardia Wed 01-May-13 20:25:25

Have him killed. That'll teach the cheeky bugger.

Latara Wed 01-May-13 20:25:30

I wish there was an ice cream van parked outside my... house!!

Mintyy Wed 01-May-13 20:26:54

Oh I can't wait for the ice cream van to come back to school. Heralds the beginning of summer round this way.

Mintyy Wed 01-May-13 20:29:25

poster SkinnybitchWannabe Wed 01-May-13 20:07:30
Theres always one outside my 2ds school. They have only ever asked for once ince and I simply said no.

Gosh, you sound like a fun mum Skinnybitch hmm

Yamyoid Wed 01-May-13 20:30:12

I know what you mean missymoo but in my ds's mind the ice cream van is far more exciting, I suppose because it's a novelty. As pp said, perhaps he'll get used to it, especially after a couple of visits.

ComposHat Wed 01-May-13 20:32:47

YABU where else are kids supposed to buy weed if not from the ice cream man?

musicmadness Wed 01-May-13 20:32:55

YABU - there was always an ice cream van parked outside my primary school, I always managed to convince my Grandma to let me have one when she picked me up. Happy memories smile.

Your DC won't ask for an ice cream every day once the novelty wears off, and it is a nice treat every once in a while!

CloudsAndTrees Wed 01-May-13 20:34:04

I'd love there to be an ice cream van outside one of my schools! I'm capable of saying no to my children, and I imagine if I got to pick up early I'd have time to scoff a Mr Whippy before the kids come out.

Yamyoid Wed 01-May-13 20:38:41

Ok, I'll concede I'm bu but only if the van can come once a week and doesn't sell mr whippy smile

iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii Wed 01-May-13 20:41:07

I think it is OK. Can you turn it into a positive thing? How about telling your kids they can have an icecream once a fortnight (or whatever) if they do XYZ.

Otherwise, just say no.

Eskino Wed 01-May-13 20:41:42

Makes me think of Dogger. Poor Dogger.

Uppatreecuppatea Wed 01-May-13 20:44:29

I don't think yabu. We've had an ice cream van parked outside our school for the last two weeks and, yes, I do refuse sometimes but it just puts all the parents under pressure and having to deal with a sulk when you say no.

I wish it were a once a week thing. Plus, £2.50 for a Mr Whippy with marshmallows? Ridic.

Treats should be treats and not rewards for every day good behaviour.

It does peeve me a bit. I cave about twice a week. the other days, we stop at the shop for one instead

TheSmallPrint Wed 01-May-13 20:44:46

What a misery! We had them outside my school when I was at first school and that was nearly 40 years ago and it was the best part of the day. wink

KitchenandJumble Wed 01-May-13 20:45:37

YABU. I have very fond memories of the ice cream van outside my primary school. We didn't have ice cream every day, but when we occasionally did it was such a nice treat.

seriouscakeeater Wed 01-May-13 21:18:15

agent grin ha ha ha

We had one in our school and everything stunk of smoke! Ah spent many a dinner time sucking a tabbaco/vimto flavoured lolly.......

WhiteBirdBlueSky Wed 01-May-13 22:15:50

Surely ice cream vans are a nice thing? confused

Hmm - at the primary school my boys would have went to had we not moved, there was a Chip van that parked IN the school grounds every Friday lunchtime - all school shut on Friday afternoons so no school lunches. The children loved their Chips treat every Friday lunchtime. Don't think anyone complained.

As has been said if it is an actual ice-cream van and just someone trying to make an honest living then fair enough. If they are using it as a cover for Drugs and Ciggies etc then report away!

yaimee Thu 02-May-13 00:43:35

This thread is so utterly fucking stupid that I could explode.
Yabu!

Redorwhitejusthaveboth Thu 02-May-13 01:01:01

YABU and a misery guts... I love our ice cream van - all week I get to bribe the kids - be good and on Friday you can have one grin
PLUS it's great seeing their little faces covered in sprinkles and ice cream - small things - great pleasures

PLUS mine sells diet coke so I can have something

PLUS our ice cream man is a bit of a young hotty... Joy and happiness all around with our ice cream van

And boo-hiss to the grumpy neighbours that moan.....

meddie Thu 02-May-13 02:22:27

I,m more shocked that Uppatreecuppateas Mr whippys are £2.50. Its 99p for a cone with a flake, sauce and neon green and pink sherbet round here.

Kytti Thu 02-May-13 02:45:16

I just say 'no' and if it's sunny on a Friday afternoon then occasionally I say 'yes.' My dc's say "no ice-creams until sunny Fridays!"

SneezySnatcher Thu 02-May-13 04:18:50

serious wondering if you went to my school or if tobacco-scented ice lollies are a common theme amongst ice-cream men!

I clearly member having to brush fag ash off my cider lolly before I could eat it of a lunchtime!

glastocat Thu 02-May-13 04:55:34

Yabu and a killjoy. I'd love an ice cream now.

MusicalEndorphins Thu 02-May-13 05:24:40

We just kept stocked with ice cream, cones and and popsicles at home. I didn't mind one sweet a day, but the ice cream truck was too expensive, much cheaper to buy them in the grocery store and occasionally make homemade ones.

Mosschopz Thu 02-May-13 06:55:02

YANBU.

When Healthy Schools was higher up the education agenda schools used to do more about this but sadly this school might feel it has other priorities. You could play the Ofsted card and lobby the head on the basis that the pushing, shoving, increased risk of accident and safeguarding compromises this brings don't look good in the community or in an inspection.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now