AIBU to complain my magnum infinity does not grow back!

(32 Posts)
SodaStreamy Wed 01-May-13 19:52:10

I'm serious , I completely believed the advert.

I'm an intelligent grown up and I believed the advert and it would 'grow back'. I was looking forward to watching this in amazement like a little kid, bit in in anticipation, waited and waited.

Nothing.....IT DOES NOT GROW BACK....lying bastards

Well I know it couldn't grow grow back, but I thought it maybe had a secret ingredient like ice magic which hardened over ice cream [ice cream]

Nothing, Nadda , Zilch

Are they really allowed to lie like this, I thought adverts had to be truthful or have small print.

WandOfElderNeverProsper Thu 02-May-13 15:57:59

Isn't it a play on the product name and the tagline of "chocolate pleasure that stays with you longer" or whatever it is. I.e its so rich and special and lovely you'll be thinking about it for ages, and the experience will stay with you - not that it actually grows back.
However you should complain to magnum (is it Unilever?) And see what freebies you get grin

KansasCityOctopus Thu 02-May-13 11:30:38

its quite obvious at the end of the advert when she looks at the bitten icecream and shrugs that it was just fantasy and it doesn't grow back.

Where is it false advertising?

freddiefrog Thu 02-May-13 11:23:51

You should complain

It's like perle du lait yogurts

I've been eating that shit for weeks but my hair is still a mess!

grin

melika Thu 02-May-13 11:18:31

From the very start, I thought this ad had underlying message, does no one else get it??

VitoCorleone Thu 02-May-13 09:31:21

I dont get that advert, what do they mean then?

SodaStreamy Thu 02-May-13 01:36:51

I even squinted my eyes and believed it was growing back until my children fell about on the floor laughing

SodaStreamy Thu 02-May-13 01:35:32

It should not be allowed though.......I believed it was going to grow back.

Because in a way I thought that might just be possible

They say and actually say 'It grows back' it DOES NOT grow back

Why are they allowed too lie like this

tomorowisanotherday Wed 01-May-13 23:51:49

even my nine year old said.... I bet it doesn't grow back... they're just saying that to make you buy some

GirlWiththeLionHeart Wed 01-May-13 23:51:40

They actually changed the ads, probably because if was misleading. The girl used to bite into it, look down and it had grown back! They cut that out of the new one

KatyTheCleaningLady Wed 01-May-13 23:51:15

I'm giggling like a fool, here.

I didn't literally believe it grew back, but I did wonder what they meant by the advert. Like, was there something about these lollies that they SEEM to grow back?? I mean, I didn't think you could do that in an advert.

I think being deliberately OTT would be something like those Axe (Lynx?) adverts where the guy sprays the stuff on and women come running. That I can see is meant to be silly.

But, the advert plainly states that the Magnum Infinity will grow back!

WeAreEternal Wed 01-May-13 23:40:34

I feel totally conned. That is the most horrendous case of false advertising I have ever seen.

Sue the bastards for pain and suffering caused by the ice cream not growing back.

Bunson Wed 01-May-13 23:37:04

Stupid

ParadiseChick Wed 01-May-13 23:29:34

I marvelled at the history of twix, the family rift, the small drive!

PowerPants Wed 01-May-13 22:51:21

SodaSteam - I thought exactly the same as you, even down to the Ice Magic bit!

MsJupiterJones Wed 01-May-13 21:26:29

It is really weird though, usually there is a different tone to these types of ads where they make a grandiose claim. I too wondered if there was something special about it - I was thinking smaller ice cream inside the larger one.

I will not buy one ON PRINCIPLE unless they are really nice

GreenEggsAndNichts Wed 01-May-13 21:21:56

hah smile I did think the same thing when I first saw these adverts. Only a matter of time before there is small print at the end.

Dawndonna Wed 01-May-13 21:18:24

It's because you have to eat the ice cream first and I bet you started on the chocolate first.
grin

toomuch2young Wed 01-May-13 21:18:20

grin I won't even mention my comment when half watching the Twix advert, 'oh I didn't realise is a difference between the two sides'
blush

Honeydragon "They only grow back if you lick them the right way." grin

Melpomene Wed 01-May-13 21:09:28

Legally this ad would be classed as 'trader's puff' - the idea that they grow back is intended to be ridiculous/over the top and not taken literally.

I expect plenty of children would take it literally though, so I think they should put a restriction on showing the ad during children's programmes. I'm not sure whether they've done that.

Sparklingbrook Wed 01-May-13 21:03:06

I think you should phone Dom Littlewood and go on that 'Don't get Done get Dom' programme. Or Watchdog/Rip off Britain.

SoleSource Wed 01-May-13 21:00:44

Keep taking the magnim lolly sticks back to the shop. Until you are 100 stones. Then sue.

SodaStreamy Wed 01-May-13 20:02:47

complain to the ASA not the ASDA , but them too, they sold me them

They're all in on it...........ice cream fibbing wankers.

They be sorry , I'll show them what grow back looks like, mark my words

SantanaLopez Wed 01-May-13 20:00:49

I think you must have done it wrong. Maybe you need to practice?

SodaStreamy Wed 01-May-13 20:00:44

I'm going to Sparkling , I really am.

I'm going to tweet them and facebook and complain to the ASDA .

I feel like a tit

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now