Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

AIBU to think that no town has a more bizarre landmark than the arse end of a shark stcking out of the roof of a semi?

(111 Posts)

...Because seriously, I can't imagine what it might be.

Was directed to this recently and have been goggling ever since.

Personally I'm not sure it can be beaten.

"Excuse me, but which way to the bus stop?"
"Oh it's just down there, turn right at the house with the shark arse sticking out of it and it's just on your left"

ouryve Thu 02-May-13 12:47:46

There's a pit pony on a roundabout near where we live, Peppermint - someone yarnbombed it, on Monday grin

Blatherskite Thu 02-May-13 10:32:00

There are 3 poems on the sides of buildings in Sheffield. This one is outside the station. I think it looks beautiful in the sunset

MmeLindor Thu 02-May-13 10:05:12

RacingHeart
yes, someone posted a link to the MK cows

I am offering a secret bunker, but I am not allowed to tell you where it is

oh.

PaulInHolland Thu 02-May-13 07:19:07

this is a statue in the centre of the city of santa claus with an enormous sex toy in his hand.

PaulInHolland Thu 02-May-13 06:54:27

and Rotterdam has this:

http://nl.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_Claus_(beeld)

The Silica known locally as the Carrot an attempt to make my home town more attractive hmm. It has a kiosk and a bus shelter in the bottom so at least it is useful I suppose.

Near where I am now we have the Wave

And while looking for that I found the other Newport Wave

robino Thu 02-May-13 05:36:37

I offer up the Beer Can House. I'm not entirely sure it's weirder than the shark but it's taken a hell of a lot longer and a lot more cirrhosis of the liver

vvviola Thu 02-May-13 04:56:02

I love the random things we get here in NZ - including the giant corrugated iron sheep & dog (which are actually a shop and a tourist office), & a town with a giant carrot in the middle of it

MidniteScribbler Thu 02-May-13 04:41:07

*You want big stuff - check out the ridiculous things in australia
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australia%27s_big_things*

Yes we do love our big things in Australia. It's quite the challenge to mark as many off your to do list as possible. Some of my favourites are the Big Oyster (now converted to a car yard) and the Big Pineapple (which you can go to the top of). The Big Prawn was a good place to stop for fuel.

And you can't forget the big anatomically correct bull at the entrance to Rockhampton. Poor bull is on about his twentieth set of testicles, as people keep stealing them. No sooner are they replaced than he gets castrated in the night.

FairPhyllis Thu 02-May-13 04:25:43

I knew this was going to be about the Headington shark. A friend used to live in that street. I love it. What sort of country would we be if a man can't put a shark in his own roof?

Only other similar landmark type thing I can think of is the Black Cat at the Black Cat roundabout in Bedfordshire, which was stolen (the cat, not the roundabout). They've replaced it now though.

Oh, there was also a very silly fountain at Roker seafront in Sunderland that looked exactly like a chimney sweep's brush sticking up from a chimney. Problem was, the brush was so tall the water pressure wasn't powerful enough to actually get water up through it, so it just sat not working for years and years.

blackice Wed 01-May-13 22:36:43

I give you the world's largest smoking pipe, in St Claude, Manitoba

Pipe

or maybe a giant sausage...

Sausage

or even the world's largest oil can...

Oil Can

I could go on... grin

racingheart Wed 01-May-13 22:28:16

Doesn't Milton Keynes have concrete cows? Or am I imagining them?

RainbowsFriend Wed 01-May-13 22:24:18

There's this in Cheltenham. Rather freaky and a bit scary right in the main shopping area....

www.cheltenham-guide.com/the-minotaur-and-the-hare.htm

Metarie Wed 01-May-13 21:54:55

Nottingham castle has a wooden door set into the rock leading to the castle.

MiaowTheCat Wed 01-May-13 21:23:57

Darlington's brick train www.thisisdarlington.com/attractions/Darlingtons_Brick_Train.asp which I always quite liked when I passed it.

Think the best we have round here is the concrete ram in Derby, or when they put the statue of Robin Hood in a nice little wooden shed for his own safety when they were expecting it all to kick off in the city centre with a couple of opposing groups choosing to march and protest all on the same day.

smegley Wed 01-May-13 21:05:27

there is a concrete hippo in my town centre!
its been the local meeting point for years

BrittaPie Wed 01-May-13 20:58:29

Binky - there is a prototype in the "story of Preston" in the Harris, with 4 martyrs, but I don't know why it was changed...

Filibear Wed 01-May-13 20:47:15

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

MooseBeTimeForSpring Wed 01-May-13 20:11:03

In Vulcan, Alberta you will find this

Metarie Wed 01-May-13 20:01:41

We have a mirror directly opposite a mirrored building. If the sun even considers shining, you'll see spots for days.

leftangle Wed 01-May-13 19:55:17

The hands were in Cowley, the legs were opposite the shark. Good to hear they still exist somewhere.

Fakebook Wed 01-May-13 19:28:36

Oh right just read previous posts, so the hands and feet were opposite the shark. I thought it was in Cowley for some reason.

Fakebook Wed 01-May-13 19:26:28

I remember when the shark went up! Everyone in headington went mad and my Mum told me the shark flew out of the sea and landed on the house. We went and saw it and there were crowds outside the house and I cried because I was scared of sharks, because of the Jaws films. Ah, the good old days! I also remember the cinema with the hands and feet with black and white stockings, but I can't remember where in Oxford that was...

I don't like Bill Heine. He always walks around with a smug smile like he's so brilliant.

Jestrin Wed 01-May-13 19:07:22

The ugliest fountain in the world....I give you, the shelley fountain. And when the water gushes out it sounds like a toilet flushing. It looks like an unfinished student project and resembles a Cornish pasty...

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rising_Universe

coorong Wed 01-May-13 18:51:36

You want big stuff - check out the ridiculous things in australia
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australia%27s_big_things

can't decide between the Big Mosquito

or the Big Galah

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now