Freemasons are pointless

(52 Posts)
babybarrister Tue 30-Apr-13 21:18:42

What is the point of them? Why be so secretive? What do they have to hide? Why are they all middle aged White men wearing dark suits and carrying black briefcases - I walk past their HQ every day .... What do they do in there ??!!!

Man stuff. That's it really. It's the adult version of scouts.

HollyBerryBush Tue 30-Apr-13 21:23:09

Bit like the Mum'n'toddlers groups - vair vair cliquy and utterly pointless.

Both get a left tit out and talk shite grin

barleysugar Tue 30-Apr-13 21:24:26

I don't know, but they donate our hospital hundreds of bags of teddies for us to give out to children! Therefore, I think they're great!

CloudsAndTrees Tue 30-Apr-13 21:25:13

It's just a load of men having a drink together and patting each other on the back. It's harmless. It's just a kind of supportive social network, there's no harm in it.

mrsjay Tue 30-Apr-13 21:27:15

they have their sandwiches in their cases they sit around talking about women and boobies and swear well thats what i think grin My dad is one I have no clue what they do and I do think it is a bit pointless but it is their thing I suppose no harm in it really.

lumpylumps Tue 30-Apr-13 21:27:21

A hell of a lot of fundraising for a lot of very worthwhile charities!!

Nelly000 Tue 30-Apr-13 21:28:15

I think it's sinister and has some pretty far reaching implications on occasion when it comes to non-mason's careers.

Total 'old boy's network'.

Annunziata Tue 30-Apr-13 21:29:33

DH says that they all work as referees in Scottish football

<helpful>

CloudsAndTrees Tue 30-Apr-13 21:30:52

It's no more sinister than what you find in most working men's clubs up and down the country. Or the WI. Or the round table.

Nelly000 Tue 30-Apr-13 21:32:08

I've never heard of preferential treatment being given to someone in their career because they're a member of the WI..

Nelly000 Tue 30-Apr-13 21:40:36

Nor the Round Table/working men's clubs either (in the interest of sexual/gender equality)

bubblesinthesky Tue 30-Apr-13 21:41:09

As far as I can tell they're a networking group. They help and support each other with business and so on. They also tend to be quite supportive to the widows and children of deceased members and run schools which they have priortiy for. They also do a lot for charities.

They also have an very sinister reputation but I've never really understood why. DP has often been asked to join but will have nothing to do with them

mrsjay Tue 30-Apr-13 21:41:56

my dad works in a factory industrial cleaning hardly any old boy network confused

CSIJanner Tue 30-Apr-13 21:42:11

Gah! This old chestnut. They raise millions for charity, support orphans in schools, look after the bereaved families of former brothers, run hospitals helping children with medical needs... The list goes on. Some join thinking it will help their station in life but are pretty much disappointed as DH has just summed it up as supporting the group to become better people and help others.

And it's not so secret - www.mumsnet.com/Talk/am_i_being_unreasonable/a1581426-to-think-that-Freemasonry-should-not-be-allowed-to-exist

And yup - Mr CSI is one. And nope - he is most definately not an up and up old boy.

Uppatreecuppatea Tue 30-Apr-13 21:42:20

The masons are definitely responsible for career advancement. They do great charity work. I don't think it's wrong - I just don't like the secrecy.

CloudsAndTrees Tue 30-Apr-13 21:57:58

Career advancements are made through 'who you know' all the time, it is not exclusive to the Freemasons.

In working men's clubs you might get tradesmen helping each other get work. Families and friends often get others work experience that leads to jobs, word of mouth works everywhere.

If someone that was a member of the Freemasons needed a plumber for example, then they would probably go to the plumber they know through the Freemasons before looking through the yellow pages. Where's the harm in that?

squoosh Tue 30-Apr-13 21:58:21

I'm suspicious.

mrsjay Tue 30-Apr-13 22:01:01

I think my dad must go to the 'working class' masons grin I dont get it myself but i really cant see the harm

Nelly000 Tue 30-Apr-13 22:09:08

I see no harm in networking and sharing contacts.

I believe - in some cases, it goes beyond that with Masons.

It happens with some other groups too.

Doesn't make either right.

FarBetterNow Tue 30-Apr-13 22:14:13

There are many different levels of masons. The lower levels have no idea of what goes on.

All their imagery is related to satanism - inverted 5 pointed star etc.
The US dollar bills are covered in masonic symbols.

They pledge allegiance to each other over anything else, including their own family. ie they lie for each other in court.
Google 'Satanic Freemason Symbols'.

cheesesarnie Tue 30-Apr-13 22:29:08

mumsnet for men.

squoosh Tue 30-Apr-13 22:34:58

So it's Scientology for the slightly less gorgeous?

maddening Tue 30-Apr-13 23:00:51

That's what you think mrsjay really he heads up a prestigious law firm and has shady deals in politics with his hand in many important pies grin

KobayashiMaru Tue 30-Apr-13 23:07:57

Load of bollocks about masons symbols on banknotes and satanic rituals. Big fat urban myth.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now