Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To wonder why on earth people in the UK have outdoor swimming pools?

(81 Posts)
KenAdams Tue 30-Apr-13 20:22:00

We're looking at houses at the moment and are coming across some that have outdoor pools. Why?! In the UK you'd hardly ever get to use them! And it's usually houses that could have had the money better spent in other ways.

quoteunquote Wed 01-May-13 10:41:16

I hate heated pools, grim.

I love swimming in the sea, rivers , lakes, locks all the year round, I get grumpy, if I don't get in at least once a day,

I only use a wet suit if I'm surfing/water sport in the winter, not for swimming.

it's just what you are use to, I had a childhood in Scotland, Himalayas, any place with mountains (my parents climbed a lot) , I grew up washing and jumping in and out of melt water,

we also lived in the tropics, but I never lost the ability to enjoy cold water, it also to me having lived in both climates, always think of cold water as some how safer, possible as swimming in tropical places there were always a lot of predators and venomous things to deal with,

When I surf here there are no sharks, well none to worry about.

we as humans went through a stage when we lost our hair, this is attributed to us taking to the water, we laid down fat layers instead, we walked upright in the water, cockle picking, shell fish are the easiest most reliable source of protein,

As part of evolution ,we came out of the water, went up the trees, came back down and into the water, lost our hair and learnt to walk up right, we are equipped to deal with cold water, you just have to decide to enjoy it.

once you enjoy it, you need it, very addictive.

I know quite a few people with natural pools, people have the water storage for agriculture anyway, if they are planted correctly, with the right balance of plants they stay crystal clear, and require almost no maintenance.

aldiwhore Wed 01-May-13 10:58:46

We used our paddling pool for most of the summer last year, even when it rained, so we'd certainly use a heated outdoor pool!

Whether it's U or not I think depends on whether you use it or not.

IF I had one, and it was heated above freezing, I would be in it most days. I can swim happily for hours in the open air. I'd be less inclined to use an indoor pool.

actiongirl1978 Wed 01-May-13 12:01:02

Well, we have an outdoor pool and in the five years since we moved in, I have swum approximately 15 times, cost per swim about £200!

However we didn't have a heater, which we do now as we have tenants in there at the moment, and when we move back from abroad, we will use it a lot more as it will be heated and the children will be old enough to use it.

We put a full secure locked hardwood fence around ours and we now pay a man to open and close it, and come every two weeks all summer to keep it clean and the algae at bay (bad experience where it went completely green and we had to drain it a couple of years ago, very hard work!).

So yabu, I can see a lot of good times ahead with our pool now it is heated, though we close it between Oct and May so only use it during the warmer months.

However I can see your point, they are work that you might not want, they cost a lot to maintain, we had to put in a new liner, and the electric bill goes up obv when the filter is on!

just looked on google maps, and in the posher bit near where I live, every third house has a swimming pool. In the even posher bit, they have swimming pools and tennis courts. Round our way we only have trampolines wink

Wickedgirl Thu 02-May-13 12:31:10

Action girl........if it turns green you just have to "shock" it as long as the Ph levels are normal. Let all the algae drop to the bottom and then "suck" it to waste ( hope that makes sense)

Pinkdaisy4 Thu 02-May-13 14:13:28

Two words.......pool drains!!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now